Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Apr 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisaw1971
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Garden Fire

Hello!

Just after some advise.
Is there a certain time you can light a garden fire?
We recently moved house & now it’s spring have started clearing the gardens (it will take all summer!)
We have lots of wood from the trees that is dead &/ or dry so able to be burnt. Save a few tip runs at least.
I’ve looked on line, and on my local council site (Swindon) I cant see a reference to a time we can start the fire?

Obviously I’ll be checking no one is having a bbq or has washing out nearby.

Really don’t want to break the rules & the neighbours hate us so soon!

DLP Sept 1994 NY, 1998 SF, 2003NPB, 2005 off site, 2008NPB, NYE 2012 Explorers
WDW POR August 2013 14 nts
WDW POR August 2015 21 nts
DLP DCC AUGUST 2016 3nts
WDW DVC December 2016 10nts
Lisaw1971 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Ours is after 7pm, councils do vary, but another option is to stack any wood outside and offer it free for wood burners. Someone might take it away!
Old 23 Apr 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Local councils seem to vary on this. Ours just reminds people to be considerate of others and aware of fire safety.

I'd add to consider people trying to keep cool in their houses in very hot weather, regardless of the time of day.

When it's very warm (like this incredible Easter weekend we've just had) most of us need to open our windows to cool our houses with some good ventilation and that's usually better in the cooler evening. Having to close windows to keep smoke fumes and smell out is frustrating when it's hot.

...It's supposed to get cooler from tomorrow onward, I think, so maybe wait a day or two?

P.S. Apart from the tip, we also have some designated garden bins with other recycling bins in a local council car park. So you might have somewhere closer than the tip. They're very handy; we haven't had a garden fire in more than 10 years - even when we've cleared loads. ...Ground sheet in the boot and chuck in the sacks!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 01:44 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Whilst many councils do not specify times you can light fires in a garden they are realising the impact on Enviromental and health issues ...ie: people with asthma , breathing difficulties etc and not just affecting people having BBQs and washing etc.
The .Gov.uk website does give some guidelines, councils can issue abatement notices if someone complains more than once , these are up to £5000
Where I live in is not allowed in the plans/deeds of our house to have garden fires and everyone adheres to this.
Many people pay extra £40 a year here to have the Brown recycling bins.
As you say there is nothing worse than the potential of neighbourhood disputes and I probably would'nt have a fire if I could as I know a lot of people get very upset by them .

Edited at 06:09 PM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Try approaching your local Scout Group. They may be grateful to have it.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List