Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Apr 19, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

My DH was in the exact same situation, on call 24hrs per day 365 days a year with no on call allowance.
His company merged with a larger one and he is now on call 1 week in 6 and gets an allowance regardless of being called out or not. If he is called out after midnight he isn’t expecting to be in work the next morning.
It’s a far better situation, I really don’t think you can be the only person on call. It’s very wearing, even if you don’t get called out.
Old 23 Apr 19, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

I've got to be honest and say being on call 24/7 without being paid for it sounds ridiculous to me, even if you don't actually have to attend that often. What if you wanted to go our for a meal or have a glass or two of wine at home. Whoever you work for is getting a great bargain at your expense.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Definitely sounds like you’re being taken advantage of. No one can be expected to be on call 24/7 365 and even 2 calls a week is quite a lot. The mental and physical toll on always being on call would be awful. I’m sure the company/owners could find an alternative solution.

I wasn’t on call as such but was on a call out list. Every shop in the company had 3 key holders and the alarm company had their phone numbers, call outs were paid at a premium rate but were very rare.

I know other people who are regularly on call and it’s on a rota basis so they know if they could get called or not so they can plan their social/family time around their on call. They also get paid a retainer for the inconvenience and paid if they’re called out.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

So if the alarm is activated they call you and the security who attend?
I think if that were the case I'd get my number taken off and only be available if security can't resolve the problem. I'd like to be paid in that instance!
Feebee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I think you're being taken for a ride as well. I do on call for work and I get an on call allowance for evenings and weekends, which I see as reserving my time - I have to be available to be at the end of the phone 24/7, and to be able to go out to deal with something at the drop of a hat. I then get paid on a time taken basis, based on an hourly rate, over and above that when I have to do something.

Your situation is the same as mine, as the other posters who do on call work. The fact you only have to do something if its a real alert, but not a false alarm, is irrelevant - you're still being expected to be at your company's beck and call.
Old 24 Apr 19, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm guessing they don't realise you are doing this to the extent you are. No employer can surely knowingly expect this to be the norm?

If you the building manager can you make changes to the work the security company do? Can they have more responsibility and deal with more issues so you are not then called? It appears they do it all anywhere. Make them key holders too.

If the times you have to 'do' something are less then work out when you would need to 'do' something. Then work out if these occasions can be dealt with the next morning.

If you do not have authority to change the process then speak up to your manager and explain that being constantly available is not possible and ask them to address it.

Also have a look at your contract and any HR policies.

Like others have said a time off following a call is expected under working time directive.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

I think you should ask that there is another key holder.
Then you can at least take it on turns. Would that be an option?
I was in a similar situation at our old premises.
I was called out over a few times, but once over Christmas. On that occasion I called my boss and said I couldn’t go because I’d been drinking 🤷
He hadn’t even been called! I was supposed to be number 2 on the contact list.
I did ask for that to be rectified!
I now live the furthest away and work from home 2 days a week so I asked not to be a key holder when we moved.

Out of interest, how do you know it’s a false alarm until you get there?
If that can be determined then maybe they can hold off calling you unless it’s genuine.
We used to have a certain amount of time to attend and check before an automatic call to the police was made

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post

They despatch a security guard who will then call me if there's an actual breakin

The last one was Christmas.

But I think my issue is always having to be near my phone in case it's a real one, there's no second in command. I'll have a chat with them this morning. I live an hour and a half away so i'm not exactly local!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CLB_14 View Post
They despatch a security guard who will then call me if there's an actual breakin

But I think my issue is always having to be near my phone in case it's a real one, there's no second in command. I'll have a chat with them this morning. I live an hour and a half away so i'm not exactly local!
It doesn’t matter what you’re actually expected to do. The expectation of being constantly available for no remuneration is not okay. It’s made worse by the fact you’ve indicated numerous calls have been in the middle of the night - I get well paid to answer the phone at that time, but it’s still very disruptive, not just for me but my husband too (and even worse when we were staying with my parents and brother). They need to remunerate you, or you need to stop doing it.
Old 24 Apr 19, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CLB_14 View Post

I can only believe this is a really well paid job because otherwise it is not worth the stress.

I have read your previous messages about the job and it seems times are often difficult.

I am afraid my advice would be get a new job or insist you are paid for you on call time and then it won’t feel quite so awful.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List