Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 4 Feb 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Doowop
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Advice please

My daughter is 11 and were awaiting diagnosis, hopefully later this year. She didnt know we were looking into this, things came to a head on Saturday, she displayed behaviour in front of her only 2 friends one of whom recognised signs as she has an autistic brother and we felt we had no choice but to tell her we suspect she is autistic.

She went mad, made threats, tried to run away and then after a few hours her temper broke and she just cried and begged us to tell her we were lying.

Yesterday she carried on as normal, as if nothing had happened, so I want to know what you would do next? Carry on as if nothing happened or do something?

Im also not feeling well myself, I cant stop shaking and crying after this, although not doing it in front of her, just sat in work crying
Doowop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Mobile

Be kind to yourself. I work with children some of whom have autism. When I was training we looked at a chart drawing out an anger episode, essentially once you get to a certain point you lose control, hormones take over and you hit full fight or flight mode. There is no point discussing anything until this moment has passed, which can take hours. People on the autism spectrum generally have much higher levels of anxiety and are normally closer to this point, people with reduced language capacity are also closer to angry outbursts because they lack an internal voice.

The best thing to do is to reduce the chances of getting to this point, do this with a combination of reducing general anxiety levels and actively teaching people to monitor their stress levels and take action when they get close to boiling point. A scale of 5 can be really useful, identify feelings and reactions at each point.

I would ask school if they have an ELSA (emotional literacy support assistant) who can work with your daughter on this. Good luck.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Doowop
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lostbrain View Post
Be kind to yourself. I work with children some of whom have autism. When I was training we looked at a chart drawing out an anger episode, essentially once you get to a certain point you lose control, hormones take over and you hit full fight or flight mode. There is no point discussing anything until this moment has passed, which can take hours. People on the autism spectrum generally have much higher levels of anxiety and are normally closer to this point, people with reduced language capacity are also closer to angry outbursts because they lack an internal voice.

The best thing to do is to reduce the chances of getting to this point, do this with a combination of reducing general anxiety levels and actively teaching people to monitor their stress levels and take action when they get close to boiling point. A scale of 5 can be really useful, identify feelings and reactions at each point.

I would ask school if they have an ELSA (emotional literacy support assistant) who can work with your daughter on this. Good luck.
Thank you, I will look into this. I know school have attempted to work with her before on breathing exercises and relaxation but she refuses to use them as she knows the type of person this is aimed at and she doesnt want to be that person
Doowop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Mobile

That sounds really difficult. There is a woman on Facebook called Agony Autie who is very cool and has done a few videos on stimming to self calm, might be worth a look to see if your daughter may see a more socially acceptable version of autism. Very difficult for girls still. I have ADHD and didnt get a diagnosis until I was 38, such a relief as an adult to understand myself better and have validation that Im not neuro typical, as Ive always suspected! I wonder though how I would have felt at 11 with my diagnosis. The stereotype of ASC and ADHD is still the difficult boy. Which is nonsense, but a challenge for people.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Doowop
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I dont want to push her too much now, we opened the discussion and I hope shes processing that, maybe then she will feel ready to talk.

Im in a support group so ive contacted them and theyve sent me a list of books aimed at her to read to accept herself, ive ordered 3 from the list for now and will leave them
lying around for a while before I read them to her, I doubt she will read them herself but she does listen when ive read to her about anxiety before
Old 6 Feb 19, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

Are there any books that you could leave lying around that she could read, so she knows she's not alone. Her anxiety is probably because she's scared. She knows she's not like her friends but can't figure out why. She'll probably quite relieved when /if she has a diagnosis as it will explain a lot to her. Difficult process to go through for you all though. Could you speed up the diagnosis process?
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 19, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

there is a quite good you tube video called Animated Explanation of Autism by dustin chandler which might be worth looking at with her
as it explains things in a fairly simple way
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Doowop
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thank you for your replies. I contacted the support group im In and was sent a list of books aimed at her, im reading them at the minute. Even if she doesnt get diagnosed I feel they would help her to start liking herself.

Thank you again
Old 9 Feb 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Maryj
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

We have a 16 year old who has a diagnosis of ASD, which we got just over a year ago. He initially didnt want to say the word autistic, but from things he said, he has discussed it with his friends.
He has just been prescribed with Ritalin, he keeps asking why he needs to take it, but from our POV its made a huge difference to his behaviour.
Its a huge learning curve, it certainly takes time for them to get their head around what is happening.
Maryj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 19, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

My DD is a teacher and had a student come to her in tears because she has just received the diagnosis of autism, my DD pointed out to her that she is exactly the same person she was yesterday, last week, last year and this has not changed who she is in any way - it just help explain some of her existing struggles and helps those around be able to appropriately support and help her. Maybe something like this will help your DD once she has processed the thought a bit more - good luck
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List