Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Surprise trip to NY-our boy is 21 Pre Travel and Day 1

Pre Trip Report

Pre travel day and Day 1 14/15 February 2019

We had kept this trip secret for 8 months and then it all went wrong the day before ! I had told one friend about our trip, you know the one, the friend who is indiscreet and the glass half full type. Called me the night before asking if I had thermals, snow boots etc and how glad she hadn't gone to New York in February. Didn't even realise that he was in but of course he was and heard the conversation. He is a good lad and didn't say anything but I knew that he knew !

Jonathan and I had the day off work, picked up the cake kindly made by one of his customers. Collected Eleanor from school William from work and we were away for 4pm. KFC on the way to Premier Inn North, cake when we were in the Premier Inn. At least Eleanor was surprised with the New York cake ! Then the worst night sleep of my life ! Both William and Jonathan had colds and the snoring...

Left at 7am and a very easy 5 minute journey to the Long Stay car park. Security took about 30 minutes. Had planned on going to Frankie and Benny's for breakfast but the queue was too long and ended up in Burger King. A bacon roll and drinks for 4, pretty gross and almost £25. Looking forward to the new food options in the airport.

Really good flight, sausage and mash followed by a rather dry cheese roll for afternoon tea and 2 g & t's later we were in New York City !

Immigration and bag collection were both quick and we were heading out in about 45 minutes. At this point we were still deciding on subway or taxi. Went for the airtrain and subway which was so easy.
I had copied instructions from here on the Dibb from Marypoppins ( i think it was you...a big thank you as the instructions made it so easy) I bought the tickets from the newsagents kiosk as there was no queue and there were lots waiting at the automated machines. The shop assistant sold us the 10 ticket air train ticket for $25 so for the 4 of us $12.50 each way. I have 2 journeys left if someone is going soon and wants them. The subway ticket was $33 each. The kiosk only takes cash. Managed the subway right up to the 28th station (next to our hotel) and then it went right past the station because someone was ill at the station ! Got off next stop and walked back, only about 5 minutes.

Checked in at the Broadway Plaza. From outside it was full of hordings and looked a bit off putting. The staff at the desk were really helpful, a $100 security deposit, no resort fees and a room with a bit of an Empire State View on the 4th floor handily next to the breakfast room.

First visit was the Empire State Building. We were lucky to exchange the $40 offer from Sightseeing Pass before they stopped offering the ESB. Entry should have been $38. We were all wrapped in thermals and big coats up but it was 14c and we could have managed without.

Spent about 1.5 hours there then headed back. Asked at reception where to get take out pizzas. He said he used Famous Pizzas about 5 minutes walk away. $17 for a 19” pizza which we ate in the room then zonked out for the night.

Steps 12109

Edited at 11:19 AM.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 19, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Pre Trip REport[

Edited at 11:20 AM.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Grapesoda
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi Smiles!

We're going to New York in 4 weeks time, could you send me the link to the Subway details?
I wonder if it would be less hassle to get a taxi?
We're staying at Embassy Suites so not far from you, can't wait to read more x

DLP Jan 2014 ~ Sante Fe
DLP Jan 2015 ~ Cheyenne
Pretrip report Here
Report in progress Here
Food Report ~ Here
Grapesoda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Hi, great to catch up with this, we were a few days behind you!
Old 4 Mar 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Mobile

These are the instructions I had

Jfk to Jamaica station $5 airtrain
Sutphin blvd archer av/jfk e/j/z lirr southbound.take world trade centre bound e train get off 34th st Penn Station c/e local downtown

It is super easy to get the Subway. I assume you will be arriving in terminal 4? When you have gone through customs, simply come through the doors into the main public arrivals area and follow the terminal to your right. You will almost double back on yourself and will see the signs to Airtrain. Go down in the lift/escalator and get on the Airtrain. Take it to Sutphin Boulevard (Jamaica)... this is the end of the line. As you get off the train you will walk along into an atrium. On your left is a newsagent and some booths where you can ask for help and on your right is a bank of automated machines where you will buy your Metrocard. The cost of the Airtrain you have just used is $5 so you will need to add this to your card to be able to get through the barriers and continue your journey. The machines are really easy and most take cards and cash. Just select 'New Metrocard' then select how much you want to add to the card. There is an additional charge of $1 for the card itself and the Subway journey will cost $2.75. So, if you add $10 to each card then this will be enough to get you to your hotel that evening... you can always add more $ whenever you need to at a later date.≈

We actually bought a 10 ticket airtrain trip card and the unlimited subway tickets. The man in the newsagent kiosk was so helpful I would go to him. I was worried about buying the wrong ticket at the machine.

You must be excited looking for your trip. I enjoyed it much more than I expected and will definitely return. Have a fantastic time there !
Old 4 Mar 19, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Hi, great to catch up with this, we were a few days behind you!
I will try and find the time to finish this trippie !
Hope you had a good time. We really did enjoy it a lot more than I thought we would.
Old 4 Mar 19, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Grapesoda
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
These are the instructions I had

Jfk to Jamaica station $5 airtrain
Sutphin blvd archer av/jfk e/j/z lirr southbound.take world trade centre bound e train get off 34th st Penn Station c/e local downtown

It is super easy to get the Subway. I assume you will be arriving in terminal 4? When you have gone through customs, simply come through the doors into the main public arrivals area and follow the terminal to your right. You will almost double back on yourself and will see the signs to Airtrain. Go down in the lift/escalator and get on the Airtrain. Take it to Sutphin Boulevard (Jamaica)... this is the end of the line. As you get off the train you will walk along into an atrium. On your left is a newsagent and some booths where you can ask for help and on your right is a bank of automated machines where you will buy your Metrocard. The cost of the Airtrain you have just used is $5 so you will need to add this to your card to be able to get through the barriers and continue your journey. The machines are really easy and most take cards and cash. Just select 'New Metrocard' then select how much you want to add to the card. There is an additional charge of $1 for the card itself and the Subway journey will cost $2.75. So, if you add $10 to each card then this will be enough to get you to your hotel that evening... you can always add more $ whenever you need to at a later date.≈

We actually bought a 10 ticket airtrain trip card and the unlimited subway tickets. The man in the newsagent kiosk was so helpful I would go to him. I was worried about buying the wrong ticket at the machine.

You must be excited looking for your trip. I enjoyed it much more than I expected and will definitely return. Have a fantastic time there !
Thank you! That sounds pretty straight forward and extremely cheap!

Yes we’re super excited, my DH will be celebrating his 40th while out there. There’s so much to see and do I don’t think 5 days will be enough, it’s an excuse to go back!

DLP Jan 2014 ~ Sante Fe
DLP Jan 2015 ~ Cheyenne
Pretrip report Here
Report in progress Here
Food Report ~ Here
Grapesoda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I will try and find the time to finish this trippie !
Hope you had a good time. We really did enjoy it a lot more than I thought we would.
It wasnt even as cold as i was expecting! LOL! Only needed snowboots on our last day!
Old 5 Mar 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
It wasnt even as cold as i was expecting! LOL! Only needed snowboots on our last day!
No it wasn’t. I had bought us all new coats, thermals, handwarmets, boots and we could have managed without really. Except for the one day of snow on our last day when I went out in trainers and fell in Times Square!
Old 25 Mar 19, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
great start
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List