Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 7 Mar 19, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

We're similar to Dawnie, originally bought in in 2002 with enough points for 12 nights in a studio 2 years out of every 3 (dropping the Fri & Sat higher point nights), added on the following year so there were enough points for a one bed for 12 nights every year, although we ended up going alternate years and staying for 3 weeks.

Added on again last year as a purchase for the children to inherit or sell when they're older, and now we have more points than we know what to do with.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 19, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

Very similar situation. We bought enough for a 1 bed for 16 days then added on but now children have grandchildren we need a 2 bed. I’m a bit disillusioned with dvc now and am not prepared to add on again so instead we book a cash stay with free dining for the first five days or a cruise so we can still go for 16 days. Works well for us at present.
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Piglet if you wish to buy to experience different resorts (reason I bought in, it gives you a lot of different holidays) think about getting enough points for a 1 bed. There's a big difference in availibility between studios and 1 beds at 7 months. Whilst in quieter times (summer for example) you'll still have choices in a studio at 7 months you can take your pick in 1 beds, and even in busy times there's usually various choices in 1 beds. Big difference between the two.
Old 8 Mar 19, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Piglet if you wish to buy to experience different resorts (reason I bought in, it gives you a lot of different holidays) think about getting enough points for a 1 bed. There's a big difference in availibility between studios and 1 beds at 7 months. Whilst in quieter times (summer for example) you'll still have choices in a studio at 7 months you can take your pick in 1 beds, and even in busy times there's usually various choices in 1 beds. Big difference between the two.
Thank you. I think we would need to do that, which pushes the price up of course.

We'd like to go next year, but it seems a lot of money to spend on one stay Vs a reasonable chunk of money towards dvc... Decisions decisions!
Old 8 Mar 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Piglet I wouldn't totally rule out Resale, it's going to be a long time before "DVC2" catches up to the Legacy14, 2 weeks in a 1 bed every year, Direct, it going to cost you £60k & the best part of £2300 in dues & that's Copper Creek & some of the "smaller resorts" are pushing $225-$245. In my eyes it's just not worth that sort of money, look as I've said we love it but we paid $67.50, we have stayed in a couple of Hotels that we could never have afforded but you also quickly realise that we have also stayed in "better" rooms off-site, the perks that they are quick to tell you about, actually don't amount to much. You read about cash guests getting free upgrades or moved to "better" resorts, forget it as an owner it's like winning the lottery. We all at some point get caught up in the hype, "special club" & all that but at the end of the day it's Timeshare, up until now a good Timeshare but …
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Piglet I wouldn't totally rule out Resale, it's going to be a long time before "DVC2" catches up to the Legacy14, 2 weeks in a 1 bed every year, Direct, it going to cost you £60k & the best part of £2300 in dues & that's Copper Creek & some of the "smaller resorts" are pushing $225-$245. In my eyes it's just not worth that sort of money, look as I've said we love it but we paid $67.50, we have stayed in a couple of Hotels that we could never have afforded but you also quickly realise that we have also stayed in "better" rooms off-site, the perks that they are quick to tell you about, actually don't amount to much. You read about cash guests getting free upgrades or moved to "better" resorts, forget it as an owner it's like winning the lottery. We all at some point get caught up in the hype, "special club" & all that but at the end of the day it's Timeshare, up until now a good Timeshare but …
SD
Very reasonable points, we'll definitely not be rushing into anything, but it's great to get so much advice on the options here!
Old 9 Mar 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I agree with Shooby, it wouldn't be worth that sort of money to me.
Old 10 Mar 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
kingofhonour
Apprentice Imagineer

kingofhonour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We also agree with SD,we were also lucky as bought in at the $2.01 to the pound back in 2006,don't get me wrong we have loved every minute so far and we have never had a problem getting a studio in any resort in the school summer holidays,now our son is older and not holidaying with us we still go but also try different places.
This year aulani and grand Californian hotel,with the same points.
So I think it's more of a long term decision as you may like a cruise or trip to Tokyo etc.
Sorry rambling there, what I meant to get around to saying is that unless you have cash I would not buy in now as the loan payments,annual dues etc,doesn't make it viable with the free dining etc on offer.

Edited at 12:14 PM.
kingofhonour is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 19, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

We bought into DVC with the intention of taking 2 weeks at a time. However I came to the realisation after our first trips that I actually prefer going for a week. I felt that the momentum we had for Disney lasted about a week, then for the 2nd week we ended up just resting up in the room a lot and only going to the parks for a few hours a day. I know that would suit a lot of people, but I'd rather have 2 weeks split over a year that are action packed, or even 1 week a year in a nice 1 bed or better.

It also works out better for us budget wise with a dining plan for a week.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
We have over 400 points now. We bought an original contract and then added on as our holiday needs changed.

We used to go for 2 weeks in a 1-bed. Now however DH and I go more often in a 1-bed or studio and go for a week or so (went for a weekend a few weeks ago!). Our kids are now 24 and 21 and they also use our DVC when travelling to Florida and I love that we can provide nice, secure accommodation for them. When we go as a family we now need a 2-bed and soon I can see us having to have a 2-bed and a studio.

Our DVC works well for us but we did purchase outright when the exchange rate was good. Looking at the current prices and the exchange rate I am not sure that I would buy in at the current time.

We do less park time now although we currently have an AP, sometimes we don't have tickets and just enjoy "going home" to relax.

Our flights are cheap as we can go out of season now and DH also has lots of airmiles through his work so our flights are under £400 but flight price is worth considering.

DDP is too much food for us really so it is not greatly missed, we happily have cereal in our room, a light QS lunch and eat offsite a lot of the time. In the past we have sometimes combined a ticket/DDP offer for 5 days with continuation with our DVC but it does depend on how the offer works out.

I would never recommend buying the minimum number of points for your stay as these can be tweaked and in the case of CC the lack of studios is causing a mad scramble at 11 months with lots of people not being able to book.
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List