Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 Apr 19, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DollyDimples
Getting Excited

The national museum of scotland is well worth a visit my 11 year old enjoys it. Also recommend camera obscura.

For afternoon tea I would highly recommend The Balmoral. It does take 2.5 hrs as everything is served in courses but it is very good.
DollyDimples is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 19, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by DollyDimples View Post
The national museum of scotland is well worth a visit my 11 year old enjoys it. Also recommend camera obscura.

For afternoon tea I would highly recommend The Balmoral. It does take 2.5 hrs as everything is served in courses but it is very good.
Would you recommend the Balmoral over the Dome?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 19, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by Grump$ View Post
The Kelpies are at Falkirk not Stirling Also near there is the Falkirk wheel which links the Forth and Clyde canal to the Union canal quite impressive how it lifts the boats.
Good point! I will be using Google maps to find it fortunately.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 19, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
DollyDimples
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Would you recommend the Balmoral over the Dome?
I haven't ever eaten in the Dome, just been in for cocktails so can't really compair.

The Balmoral is the more formal out of the two if that makes a difference to what you would prefer.
DollyDimples is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 19, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RM2016 View Post
Cool Jade directly across from the zoo is really nice for dinner and a 5 min walk from the zoo takes you into Corstorphine where there is a Weatherspoons, Toby Carvery, Italian etc food wise.
Cool Jade is the best Chinese Restaurant ever.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Dreaming View Post
We are vising Edinburgh over Easter as my DD is Koala mad and we sponsored one for Christmas so we are visiting the zoo, we are there for two nights Other than the Castle, the palace and Yacht does anyone have any tips of where to go and where to eat with two 12 year olds.
If you want to see the Pandas there is a restricted number of people who can view at one time and the tickets go quick (free with entry). It will be very busy over the holidays so I suggest you get there early or book online (not sure if that’s possible).

The Kelpies in Falkirk are quite impressive and it’s a nice walk beside the canal. There is a large play park (Helix Park) in the same area.

The Botanic Gardens always seem to be forgotten about in Edinburgh but they are easy to get to by bus.

There are loads of things to see and do at Camera Obscura. There is also Europe's largest indoor climbing arena just on the outskirts of Edinburgh at Ratho for something different.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dreaming
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
If you want to see the Pandas there is a restricted number of people who can view at one time and the tickets go quick (free with entry). It will be very busy over the holidays so I suggest you get there early or book online (not sure if that’s possible).

The Kelpies in Falkirk are quite impressive and it’s a nice walk beside the canal. There is a large play park (Helix Park) in the same area.

The Botanic Gardens always seem to be forgotten about in Edinburgh but they are easy to get to by bus.

There are loads of things to see and do at Camera Obscura. There is also Europe's largest indoor climbing arena just on the outskirts of Edinburgh at Ratho for something different.
I have just checked with the zoo, and they have a free flow system in place to view the Pandas, but we will get there early anyway, just in case
Disney Dreaming is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 19, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

If your in the city centre to see the castle .. you may wish to visit cosmos, it's a buffet place, kids might like it. It's just up from the playhouse by the omni centre.
There's lots to see & do, I'm sure you won't be stuck, and probably not even get it all done in two days.😊
I recommend Mary kings close too. It's fascinating .
Old 12 Apr 19, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
G54321
Excited about Disney

Travelling with two kids aged around 12 I probably wouldn’t do a formal afternoon tea at the Balmoral but appreciate everyone’s kids are different. My two wouldn’t have wanted to go there at that age.
I would suggest Mimis Bakehouse at The Shore in Leith which is a short bus ride from the city centre. Much less formal and fab cakes etc. They also do great breakfast options with mini bacon rolls, scones etc.
National Museum is a good suggestion.
Indoor adventure golf at Fountainpark is good fun.
Botanic gardens are lovely especially if weather is nice.
Sunday foodie market in Stockbridge area is nice and there are lovely shops etc in that area or Bruntsfield/Morningside also lovely area for a wander with nice little shops and coffee bars.
Chocolate cafe in Harvey Nichols is always a favourite with kids.
Day trip on train to North Berwick also very nice. Walk along the beach and ice cream etc.
Holyrood Palace (not sure if opening times) and combine with a walk up Arthur’s Seat.
Hope you have a lovely time.
G54321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post

We are taking my mil for her 80th birthday in oct to see the pandas ( she’s always wanted to see one ) . I can’t buy tickets yet though as the zoo only seems to sell them 2 months in advance .
We are staying at the PI south queensferry overnight but no idea what to do apart from the zoo. Afternoon tea sounds good
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List