Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 10 Apr 19, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
angel_eyes
Trainee Dibber

Where to go to see wild gators?

Hi all! I would love to take in some of Florida's nature spots on our next trip. However, DH is currently sporting a wild paranoia that anything related to water will equal a gator attack. I don't want to swamp-swim with the animals, I would just like something a little more natural than Gatorland. Does anyone have some suggestions on where we could go that would satisfy my curiosities without giving DH a coronary in the process?
Old 10 Apr 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

What about Myakka state park. We have been a number of times and usually loads of gators.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
angel_eyes
Trainee Dibber

Thanks, tspill. I've just Googled Myakka and I would go for the birdwalk alone! It looks like a stunning area.
Old 10 Apr 19, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Barney Bear
Getting Excited

We've done airboat rides with Spirit of the Swamp a couple of times now. It's fantastic, and the captains really respect that we're in the Gators' territory...but it's great to spot one, and pull up at a respectful distance..or have one swim alongside! I'd recommend it to everyone!
Barney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi gatores are closer than you think, every piece of water will have 1 or several, just keep your eyes open. On various occasions you will see deer from the monorail , gators from the lagoon boats, ospreys fishing .
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
MENTALMUM
Very Serious Dibber

if you are feeling adventurous you could hire a canoe at Hillsborough National park, We did this, it is amazing and plenty of alligators basking on the sides for you to look at. The water is crystal clear and you can see everything swimming around you. You could take a picnic as there are lots of places to sit and eat or bbq.
MENTALMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi gatores are closer than you think, every piece of water will have 1 or several, just keep your eyes open. On various occasions you will see deer from the monorail , gators from the lagoon boats, ospreys fishing .
We've been on several trips and never saw a gator until last year. We were in Naples and had been to Everglade City for an airboat trip. Only saw one on the boat trip but the skipper told us if we wanted to see gators to drive a few miles down the road and turn onto a dirt track (HP Williams Wayside) and we'd see plenty, which we did. There was a waterway that ran the length of the track. Bit far for you to travel but there is probably somewhere similar to this closer to Orlando.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

visitcentralflorida/feat...-b-bar-reserve

Plenty of 'Gators here! Np facilities, we usually taker a picnic. It's just down the I-4 in Lakeland.
Old 10 Apr 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
angel_eyes
Trainee Dibber

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll take a look at them.

I think a canoe would raise DH's stress levels (sounds fun to me) but the airboat might move fast enough for him to consider.
Old 10 Apr 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Spirit of the Swamp is our 'go to'.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List