Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 13 Apr 19, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
dac123
Getting Excited

Transit time for Hong Kong

Traveling to Auckland one option is BA form LHR transit in Hong Kong, the transit time is one hour. Do you have to collect bags as you would in the US, do you have to go back through security. Or the short version is one hour enough. BA and 3rd party ticket sellers are both offering this option. Thanks for any advice
dac123 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

If you have booked a through ticket (with one locator code) then your bags will be checked to your destination. All you will need to do is get yourselves to the gate for your onward flight.
Whether one hour is enough is more difficult to judge. Even if your flight lands on time it will be tight but doable, any delay and it is unlikely you would make your connection. The airline would be responsible for getting you to your destination but it’s not guaranteed you would be on the next flight as it would depend on availability.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Transited in HKIA a couple of years ago (United, through ticket). As you walk off the plane you get directed towards arrivals, but you'll follow the sign for connections/transits/etc. You go through security screening (I believe it was quite a short queue), then get let loose into the transit area. Make your way to your next gate and board the flight. Luggage should get transferred automatically as long as they were checked through to your final destination at check in.

I don't remember my transit that time being very long (probably an hour or so) but didn't feel rushed at all going from gate to gate. Of course if you first flight gets delayed then it might be more difficult. The airport terminal is fairly big so it could be a bit of a distance getting to your gate too but all well signposted and easy to get to.
Old 15 Apr 19, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post

I have transited via Hong Kong to Australia many times. You don’t collect your bags but you do need to clear security again, and this queue can be long, isn’t always, but it can be. The airport is also pretty big and if your incoming and outgoing are at different ends you will need to get a riddle on.

Having done it many times, no I would not want to transit in HK in only an hour. I would like two hours or even ninety minutes.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
One of my colleagues did this two weeks ago flying Cathy Pacific, his connection time was 55 minutes and he only just made it after running through the airport. Luckily he was flying business class and was first off. As he pointed out if the flight had been as little as 5 minutes late he would not have made the connection.

On the return he was not so lucky so was booked on the next flight which meant a nine hour stopover.

It's worth pointing out that these flights were booked on the CX website so the airline clearly thinks the connection is feasible

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
I used to be a travel booker in my previous life and I was always aware that our staff had sometimes come a cropper in Hong Kong airport due to its size. Travellers would want to have longer than an hour to transit- despite airlines selling it as a valid connection, reality can be different. You only need a slight delay and then you could find yourself in a difficult situation.