Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 15 Apr 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

Should we ditch car for Uber?

Hi all, I wonder if I can get some opinions. My hubby has suggested that we look at using Disney transport and Uber for our upcoming trip this summer rather than hiring a car. I’m not entirely convinced. We are staying onsite for 9 nights before moving to Universal for 4 nights. We have always rented a car even when onsite so this will be a new experience! We are 2 adults and 2 children aged 11 & 8.

We are planning on doing a couple of trips to Florida mall, Mall at Millenia, Outlets and Walmart and Target whilst there. Crunching the numbers through Uber fare estimator, I’m getting one way trips to Vineland Premium outlets from the Contemporary at around $15-$17 each way, so $30-$34 return and to Florida mall is $24 each way so $48 round trip. Without the car, we’d also need to factor in moving from Disney to PBH (about $40) PBH to Discovery Cove ($34) and PBH to the airport ($40-$50). Working it all through, I estimate we could spend around $300-$400 on Uber fares. I’m not seeing any sub $10 fares going offsite. However, I am most worried about losing the convenience of moving from park to park or resort hopping for ADRs with our own transport and having to rely more on Disney transport and lots of waiting around! I’m also worried that Disney transport is going to be busier now they’ve started charging non U.K. onsite guests for parking.

We have booked to pick up the car on our second morning from the DCCC and drop off back at the airport. It’s costing us £309 for the 12 nights for standard SUV. At Universal, we will be paying the nightly parking charge plus we will need to factor in one tank of fuel. All in, it will cost us around £450 to have the car so on paper, it’s the more expensive option but it’s difficult to put a price on the convenience factor!

Given the above, do you think my hubby is right about ditching the car? I appreciate that lots of people stay onsite and don’t hire cars and get on fine but am particularly interested in hearing from anyone who used to rent a car but now doesn’t.

Edited at 12:22 PM.
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Why don't you say, hire a car for part of the trip?

Say last 5 nights at Disney and all of universal stay? You could get the Magical Express at the start of your holiday and then take the car back to the Airport at the end of your holiday (you won't get the DME anyway as you're at Universal then).

All your expensive Uber trips are covered (airport, transfer resorts) and you could schedule DC on a day where you have the car, and perhaps try and do most of your shopping whilst you have the car too. But saving 4/5 days hire charge.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding

Edited at 01:05 PM.
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
Why don't you say, hire a car for part of the trip?

Say last 5 nights at Disney and all of universal stay? You could get the Magical Express at the start of your holiday and then take the car back to the Airport at the end of your holiday (you won't get the DME anyway as you're at Universal then).

All your expensive Uber trips are covered (airport, transfer resorts) and you could schedule DC on a day where you have the car, and perhaps try and do most of your shopping whilst you have the car too. But saving 4/5 days hire charge.
Thanks, I’ve considered that but that still leaves us without a car for the majority of our Disney stay which is my actual problem as I’m not entirely convinced about relying solely on Disney transport! I’m not as concerned about the cost of car hire as much as DH is. The other thing he mentioned was finding parking at the malls as last few times we had to drive around a bit which really annoyed him (me not so much!). I suppose I am looking for a really good reason to offset the convenience of having our own transport and being able to come and go as we please.

Edited at 01:50 PM.
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. I don't think you will ever get a consensus on this question.

I'm in the 'no car not going' camp. Others swear by Uber and can prove mathematically it can be a huge saving.

To me thought the one word that keeps coming to the fore is flexibility. If I fancy nipping to Publix at 5.00pm for a loaf of bread I just jump in the car and go. Flexible.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

I suspect you’re right Mr Tom, I am really struggling to get past the flexibility and convenience argument! Perhaps if the Uber was coming in significantly cheaper than hiring a car then it would be bit more straight forward.
Old 15 Apr 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Get a car, you'll only regret it if you don't. The Disney buses are so frustrating when they make lots of stops / don't show up for 30 minutes.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

You mentioned ADRs at other resorts. I wouldn't rely on Disney transport to get to most of these. Anytime a transfer is involved it can take ages. We did POR to the Boardwalk for an early breakfast reservation and it took an hour. We should have got an Uber!
Old 15 Apr 19, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
jane2211
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We have always hired a car this year however we are just using transport at Disney and then uber when at RPR 😩
Old 15 Apr 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by jane2211 View Post
We have always hired a car this year however we are just using transport at Disney and then uber when at RPR 😩
May I ask why you’ve decided not to hire a car this time and what swung it for you?
Old 15 Apr 19, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Firsttimers2018
Getting Excited

Mobile

We did 3 weeks without a car last year. Our first trip. 3 of us DD 16. I didn't want my poor DH driving everywhere as he does it at home. We did all the Disney parks, KSC, Gator tour, shopping malls you name it. Found Disney transport easy to use and uber all the way for other trips. DH loved his non driving 3 week holiday.
Firsttimers2018 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List