Old 18 Apr 19, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
I was planning on using my FairFX card against the room as I don't have a credit card with zero transaction fees.

Is it possible to pre-load a gift card onto your room account when you check in (as I have €200 gift card and plan to opt out of housekeeping) and then keep the account topped up with the Fair FX card. I don't really want hundreds of pounds of holds on my Fair FX card especially as it will be nearing the end of the holiday so I am not sure how much I will have left, and don't want to come back with loads still on there because I've had to top up more due to the necessary hold.

I have an Amex and a Starling account, the Amex has foreign transaction fees so don't want to use that and the Starling obviously is a debit card so need the money in the account. Wonder if Starling will bring out a credit card before we go
My understanding is yes, but I’m waiting for confirmation from WDW but the incremental holds will still occur, again afaik
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Yes, all hotels out on charges, but rarely at most hotels will you be shopping eating and buying all day long In the hotel complex.

Once you go over the $100 then another $100 hold is incurred, every five days the amount owed is removed from the card, with the original hold staying so technically you could have $1500 holds on the card. I have Emailed WDW for clarification of this point as it doesn’t sound correct but that’s how it reads

Now for those with large credit limits or those happy to come back with CC debts fair enough. For those with limited funds and who want to charge to the account but pay off in cash it’s an issue. Some people have had to wait several days after the holiday for holds to come off thier cards, meaning they had less funds available when they left for another resort etc

When I last went (2009) we had a limited applied , I believe it was $700. We could pay it off with cash every now and again or at the end

I totally understand the policy about having a hold, and it surprising that WDW haven’t done this before BUT the rolling $100 hold and they deduction off the card every five days impacts many on a budget.

It would be better, IMHO, to be able to “put” money on the account for charging, not everyone has large CC limits.

On another group many Americans I using gift cards rather than credit cards against the account.

It’s not a big deal it’s just annoying that if we use our bands to charge the room we have to make sure they don’t take the money from the account before we’ve had a chance to go to front desk

Of course the other option is to not charge the band for anything, which is our other option and dependong on how it goes for the first few days probably what we will do and therefore curb impulse spending.

Ok got you. I can see how that would be problematic if close to credit card limit. But I think paying off in cash regularly would work.

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
TB

Is it possible to have a credit balance on the room, say by adding circa $500 on check in ?

Disney332
I can’t see that being possible due to regulations about holding monies on behalf of third parties (banking / client accounts).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Ok got you. I can see how that would be problematic if close to credit card limit. But I think paying off in cash regularly would work.

I can’t see that being possible due to regulations about holding monies on behalf of third parties (banking / client accounts).

Except, that the holds of $100 stay until you check out, so even if you pay off every four days on day five another $100 hold is added, that’s what is catching people out.

Agreed, I’ve been told gift cards work, but I’m waiting for clarification from WDW
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
My understanding is yes, but I’m waiting for confirmation from WDW but the incremental holds will still occur, again afaik
If that's possible, then I will just load all the gift cards and a big balance from my Fair FX card at the start, and then make sure it's topped up. Hopefully then no need for a hold?

Let us know when you find out

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Presume you can still pay tips in cash at the restaurants then?
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

My friend has just returned and he had $100 per day held on his currency card. Had to change to a cc midway through his holiday. He kept an eye on both his MDE and currency card whilst there. He complained to the front desk and did receive some compensation for all his trouble.
Old 18 Apr 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
TB

Is it possible to have a credit balance on the room, say by adding circa $500 on check in ?

Disney332
I was thinking this. Could you ask for the $200 credit from Disney to be put on the account once you have you card picked up from DS. Then you will be in credit rather than debit and pay off by going to reception.

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

Mobile

Be aware that your card will be cleared every 5 days even if you clear it yourself in the meantime.
So I cleared ours on day 4 and then it was cleared again overnight (3am) as that was day

To be honest this whole thing is chaotic. They keep removing our charging ability as the system keeps clearing my CC details so my MagicBand keeps declining and then I have to trek to reception (6. Times this trip) to activate it again.

Def take a card with you as back up

And also they can no longer preload gift cards onto the account so you have to time paying off your account with them so your cc doesn’t get hit first.

This new system doesn’t sound like it should be a problem, but for some reason (and I could be in the minority) this has been awful this holiday and I have spent probably circa 3-4 hours in reception so far getting it sorted
choccielover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mrs Valentine View Post
I was thinking this. Could you ask for the $200 credit from Disney to be put on the account once you have you card picked up from DS. Then you will be in credit rather than debit and pay off by going to reception.
Nope

I asked

They won’t pre load gift cards as there is no way to refund the balance so I asked if they could take £1k off my cc and then refund me any balance and they can’t do that either
choccielover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by choccielover View Post
Be aware that your card will be cleared every 5 days even if you clear it yourself in the meantime.
So I cleared ours on day 4 and then it was cleared again overnight (3am) as that was day

To be honest this whole thing is chaotic. They keep removing our charging ability as the system keeps clearing my CC details so my MagicBand keeps declining and then I have to trek to reception (6. Times this trip) to activate it again.

Def take a card with you as back up

And also they can no longer preload gift cards onto the account so you have to time paying off your account with them so your cc doesn’t get hit first.

This new system doesn’t sound like it should be a problem, but for some reason (and I could be in the minority) this has been awful this holiday and I have spent probably circa 3-4 hours in reception so far getting it sorted
From my FB page I don’t think you’re in the minority at all. Could backfire, takes away impulse spending