Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Apr 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Has anyone climbed Kilimanjaro?

My brother is desperate to climb Kilimanjaro, and we’ve loosely talked about doing it together. He’s single and my husband has no interest, and I just think it would be amazing to get to the top and say you’d done it.

But I worry about the practicalities like how cold or wet is it, how fit does a person realistically need to be, would my back and shoulders hold up carrying a backpack (often an issue on holiday), how primitive are the conditions on the trail, will they offer food I’d eat (vegetarian) etc.

There’s so much information online but lots is contradictory. I trust Dibbers’ views so would be grateful for any information.
Old 19 Apr 19, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Altitude sickness can be an issue I think

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

My friend did it and survived!
She's definately not the type you would expect to do it. She's fairly fit in that she does the occasional 10k run but not overly so.
It can't be too inhospitable as shes more a 5* hotel girl like me although she does go camping more than me!
I don't see her that often so don't know the ins and outs of it but she certainly didn't come home moaning how awful it was!
I know it wouldn't be for me but if you fancy it, go for it! I know my friend did do a lot of training walks around the Pennines before she did it!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mouli1 View Post
Altitude sickness can be an issue I think
Yes it can. We went to the Colorado rockies which are around 3000 metres up and we felt fine, just a bit short of breath going up stairs (though I’m much fitter now than I was then). Hopefully if we went with a company that gives you a bit of extra time to acclimatise then it would be okay.
Old 19 Apr 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post

I know two people that have attempted it. The first made it to the top but she said it was very very hard and she looks about eighty in the photo at the top (she was about thirty). The other person didn’t make it to the top but I don’t think he did enough to get fit before he went.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile

Altitude is potentially your biggest problem. It can affect anyone and you have no way of knowing until you are there. (think of Victoria Pendleton ex cyclist not making it up everest. My point being she has no fitness issues.)

It is something I would like to do. Its just finding the time and money...
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.”― Jack Kerouac
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tiggertastic View Post
Altitude is potentially your biggest problem. It can affect anyone and you have no way of knowing until you are there. (think of Victoria Pendleton ex cyclist not making it up everest. My point being she has no fitness issues.)

It is something I would like to do. Its just finding the time and money...
Yeah the time and money is the issue, particularly given it isn't something my husband will do - so I've got to justify £2-3k plus all the gear you need and then 2 weeks leave, as well as affording and fitting in a holiday with him.

I'm off to Kenya next month with my Dad, which is similar cost/time and husband isn't coming. He isn't bothered, but I feel bad, so we went away in January and booked a trip in February/March too!
Old 19 Apr 19, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
Yeah the time and money is the issue, particularly given it isn't something my husband will do - so I've got to justify £2-3k plus all the gear you need and then 2 weeks leave, as well as affording and fitting in a holiday with him.

I'm off to Kenya next month with my Dad, which is similar cost/time and husband isn't coming. He isn't bothered, but I feel bad, so we went away in January and booked a trip in February/March too!
I know that feeling. A few places I want to go my other half refuses. I could go with Mom, but that leaves me short on leave... Rock hard place springs to mind.

Mountain climbing is something I could do with the other half though.
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
LunaNyteskye
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I haven’t done it but it’s on my bucket list! Go for it!

October 2009 Sequoia Lodge Disneyland Paris;
October 2011 Kissimmee Villa;
October 2013 Port Orleans Riverside WDW;
November 2015 Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa;
November 2016 Hotel Santa Fe Disneyland Paris;
October 2019 Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW, DIBB Villa, Hard Rock Hotel & Grand Floridian WDW
LunaNyteskye is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List