Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 20 Apr 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
mermaids1960
Getting excited

mermaids1960's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 19
DDP free :(

Is it just me, I feel sad that we do not get to have free DDP if we buy our passes through Disney as we are DVC members, I don't even think we get a discount on this.

Owner at Animal Kingdom
mermaids1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mermaids1960 View Post
Is it just me, I feel sad that we do not get to have free DDP if we buy our passes through Disney as we are DVC members, I don't even think we get a discount on this.
I don't - I bought my points so I could stay in places I wouldn't have been willing to pay the cash price for. I would never have paid cash for Bay Lake and I'm not even sure free dining is available there.

We have also used our points in California and Hilton Head so free dining not an issue there.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. I think Disney could lure a lot of Owners into the plan if they offered a 10% discount on the purchase of it.
However they have undoubtedly considered this and decided it's not cost effective for them.

I know we get discounts at some restaurants by showing our Card but it's not across the board.

Personally I have had no interest in the DDP since many years ago when we got appetizers included plus the gratuity. Now that was worthwhile.

Physically we couldn't eat all the food on the DDP but I do accept it's a great deal if free. TIW is the way forward for us and is the only reason we still dine onsite.
If they remove that 'perk' we would be offsite every night.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We would like DDP but I’d never pay for it. We simply don’t eat enough to justify the cost. But I would like to know I didn’t have to think about food costs, and sadly we are always on a budget so we are always watching our spending.

I’d buy it at a much reduced rate but I accept we won’t ever get it for free as our accommodation is so reduced.

We used to find it cost effective to book a cash room for one week to get our tickets and a week of free dining and then move to DVC but with recent price rises I can’t justify that anymore.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mermaids1960
Getting excited

mermaids1960's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 19
I always travel with my Daughter and family, they stay at SSR or OKW with free DDP, but we have the joy of staying in AK watching the giraffes

Owner at Animal Kingdom
mermaids1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
In some ways I’m glad it isn’t. I paid for the quick service option last year for 10 days. It was worthwhile because we were traveling with my DD and her boyfriend and my DS. It was an easy option when we split up to allow them to go and buy food and snacks without having to hand out lots of cash or live in fear of how much they were spending using the magic band. I don’t think it was particularly cost effective more convenient. I felt quite tied by it always trying to make good use of snack credits, it seemed like too much food for us!
boo2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I'm really split on this (as I am on a lot of things, I'm a libran!), I'm not a fan of the DDP, think it's FAR too much food and forces too much pre planning whereas I like to have a more laid back approach to my holidays, not plan them like a military operation (don't even get me started on FP+ ), however, I think it's a shame that they don't offer us some kind of discount.

We tend to eat mostly offsite which suits us as we're happy with a break during the day & I don't think the value is there any more with onsite dining, far better meals to be had offsite. But a deal on the DDP would most likely entice us to pre pay for food and keep us on property more.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

Edited at 04:08 PM.
PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
As a DVC owner I've looked into it but couldn't justify it. It works out far better value to use your points to stay on site and then buy any Disney meals OOP using either a Tables in Wonderland card or DVC discount. I have bought the DDP but it's usually when we're doing a really short 2-3 night stay at the start of the trip, that way we get to choose our favorite restaurants and also get the refillable mugs for length of stay. We prefer to eat off site as you can be more flexible about where and when you eat plus there's way too much food on the DDP and you end up eating just to use up credits.

The best option they did was when you could book as many or as few DDP nights as you wanted per stay but as usual there were people who took advantage of this and it caused chaos on reservations so it was stopped.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Mobile

If Disney offered us DVC members a discount on the DDP then I would definitely buy it. I think we have more chance of seeing a flying unicorn than that happening though 😂
Old 20 Apr 19, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Do I feel sad? Not in the slightest. If I thought I would get better value from free DDP I would rent my points and use that to pay cash (and I have done that, also did a free DDP trip and upgraded to APs at the end and returned within the year staying DVC).

I can’t see them ever discounting DDP to such a large extent we’d buy it. We typically wouldn’t bother to eat desserts so it’s a waste for us (if it’s free, in combination with a room discount, and there are three or more of us in the room, it ticks the box).

I can’t think of a single reason why Disney / DVD would ever provide free DDP for DVC members.