Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 22 Apr 19, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
The 3 Mouseketeers Non-Stop WDW Adventure (Aug 2018) Day 9 - AK then HS & Star Wars Dessert Party

Day 8 is here

We were still a bit tired from yesterday, but dragged ourselves from our beds, and got to the bus stop for 8am. We knew that once we hit the parks, the Disney excitement would keep us going.

Unusually we had to wait a while for a bus, and there were a lot of other people waiting too. The bus came at 8.22am – it had been at the other stops at Riverside first, so was already quite full when it arrived. A few people squeezed on, and we had to wait for the next bus. It came at 8.26, and was completely empty when it arrived, but was soon almost at capacity with all the people waiting! Still it got us to Animal Kingdom at 8.55am, still ahead of ropedrop, although only just! There were a few people queuing for the turnstiles, so I took DH and DD through the Rainforest Café entrance ( I love the top tips I learn from the Dibb!)

We headed over to Pandora (along with everyone else it seemed). But DH managed to spot DeVine so stopped to watch her for a little while. She can be quite hard to spot at times.

Na’vi River Journey had a 20 mins standby queue, so we did this ride first, as our Flight of Passage FP wasn’t until 9.20am. The queue had some gentle theming.

DH was particularly taken with the themed water fountain - and the ability to easily refill a water bottle.

This was our first time on the Na’vi River, and we weren’t sure what to expect as we had read so many mixed reviews about it. It is just a gentle, inside, boatride, but with some lovely effects in the scenery as you travel through.

Definitely not a big-thrill ride, but we really enjoyed it. Completely impossible to take good pictures on the ride with my camera skills though!

Then time for our Flights of Passage Fastpass. We were incredibly lucky to have got several FP for this ride (the benefits of booking 60 days out onsite). This is definitely now one of our favourite rides in all of WDW. It is so immersive, and strangely relaxing. We also admired that scenery of Pandora. It's incredible to think none of this was here a few years ago!

Although we’d had some cake in our room for breakfast, we were a bit hungry, so we had a brunch stop at 10.15 at the Satu’uli Canteen.

I really like that there are several choices for the ‘base’, ‘main’ and ‘sauce’ for the bowls, so that there are lots of different potential options. We had a chicken bowl, with sweet potato hash, and herb dressing sauce.

We also tried the pod burger, with chips and crunchy veg slaw.

We ordered two soft drinks and also some free water. You are given cups and can help yourself to drinks from a refill station. I struggled to find the water option though!

The Canteen has detailed theming and ‘backstory’ which we all really appreciated.

There is seating inside, and outside. Even the cultery and recycling bin areas are in keeping with the theme!

As we were leaving, we spotted this character, who was chatting and answering questions.

We also stumbled across a lovely, quiet, back route over to Africa, with this lovey view:

Then it was time to head over to our 11.05 Fast pass at Kilimanjaro Safaris. We love this ride! I like how they enable some animals to roam close to the jeeps – and enjoy those moments where the jeep traffic is held up because an animal or two have decided that they want to hang out in the road. We remember the old ‘poachers’ storyline – and don’t miss it at all! We noticed a much stronger emphasis this time by the tour guide on how we need to protect the environment (eg use less plastic), to preserve the wildlife we were seeing. Obviously we took way too many photos….

But the most incredible thing was the lion – who is usually fast asleep whenever we go past on this ride – was awake! Not just awake, but standing at the top of Pride Rock! And it roared!

Which was not at all like we’d expected! Instead of the mighty, powerful roar – it sounded rather like a scaled up kitten’s mew. Honestly. Our guide explained that we expect it to sound much more powerful because of hearing it in films, and especially the MGM film intros. However, the MGM producers were so disappointed by what a lion’s roar actually sounded like – they had replaced it with a tiger’s roar.

We called in at Harambe Market Place.

I know, we'd only just eaten at Satu'li Canteen, but DD and DH love the Bibo drink from Club Cool, and they sell a full size Bibo drink here for a snack credit. Whilst we were there we looked at the Flame Tree Barbeque mobile ordering app, and made some decisions about lunch. You can tell how much they love Bibo - I really struggled to get a photo!

We also came across this Hidden Mickey near Tusker House (apparently that is what the writing says!)

Then we headed over to Kali River Rapids ready for our Fastpass. They have removed the (not very) waterproof section in the middle of the rafts, so we went over to the nearby lockers to stash our phones/camera. The lockers are free to use for an initial period of time, but if you go over this, then they take a charge on your linked payment card (presumably to stop people using these instead of the chargeable main park lockers). We were able to put our locker skills from Typhoon Lagoon to good use, as they worked exactly the same. However, just as we got to the Fastpass queue, they closed the ride (possibly because it was starting to rain?)

So we hit the order button on the Flame Tree Barbeque meals we’d selected earlier, and walked across to find some seating whilst we waited for the pick-up notification. Mobile Ordering all worked perfectly this time! Ribs are definitely the stand out item here

And we had a couple of interesting drinks (almost certainly one of the was a cocktail!)

After this, we headed back to Kali River Rapids (our fast pass had been ‘magically’ converted into any any ride, any time pass). But it was still shut – we checked before we put our stuff back in the locker this time!

DH and I wanted to see the new Up Bird Show. DD declared that she didn’t fancy that, as she is nervous of birds (This nervousness came after our first trip to Discovery Cove 2 years ago, when I’d read that it’s best to feed the birds in the aviary early on before they are full. It’s possibly not always best to be the very first ones in the aviary – as the birds really flock to you! DD had about 8 birds land on her at once, and it freaked her out). So we agreed DD would get the bus back to Riverside by herself, and we’d come back after the show.

The show was good fun, although I found the female narrator/lead character quite irritating. Russell and Doug were a nice addition though.

Lots of information about the various birds

And there were amazing displays of the birds flying around the audience, swooping low over our seats - you might have to imagine the bird in this picture though. They flew a bit fast to catch a photo - but honestly, they were just skimming over people's heads!

The birds even flew through a ‘corridor’ of people.

Probably just as well that DD had decided not to see the show. DH and I got a couple of slushies as we walked back towards the exit.

Then we got the bus back to Riverside at 2.30, and met DD in the room. We were all flagging at this point, so we had a little Disney nap for a couple of hours. We left the room at 5.50, and walked across to catch the bus to Hollywood Studios. Its a lovely walk through the grounds at Riverside

We were using the main (South) bus stop this trip, as this was closest to our room.

MDE now has a feature where you can see the bus times from your resort on the app (whilst you are checked in at the hotel). However we tended just to turn up at the bus stop, and check the times there.

First stop at Hollywood Studios was the Tune-in Lounge (which is the bar linked to 50s Prime Time Café).

One of my absolute favourite things (from my very first trip) is the PB&J milkshakes that they serve in the restaurant. We’d not booked an ADR here this trip, but I didn’t want to miss out on my favourite milkshake. Luckily you can order them at the bar ($9 each, not including tip). They take a little while to come, as they have to put the order into the kitchen, and I suspect that they prioritise diners in the restaurant.

We asked for two to take out, as DD and DH said we’d be fine to share 2 between the 3 of us (we’re getting one each next visit! ) I think I was too excited by the milkshakes to take photos of them- but they aren't much to look at just takeaway cups with lids and straws...

We took our milkshakes over to the Frozen Sing-a-long, and drank them whilst waiting to go in. We all love this show.

The historians are so funny, and the songs are pretty good too!

And of course, you get to see a few of the main characters.

This is in the auditorium that used to host Pop Idol, and it’s not the most elaborate re-theming of the venue, but at least they made some effort.

Then it was time for us to head over to the Launch Bay for the Star Wars Dessert Party. We had done this a couple years previously and really, really, enjoyed it so booked again for this trip. The official start for the party was 8.30pm, but I knew that they often let people in early so we arrived just before 8pm, and the cast members were just getting ready with the wristbands etc. As we entered the launch bay, another cast member told us that a ‘Making Of’ documentary was just about to start and only took 10 mins, so we decided to go in. DD and DH were enthralled by it, but when we came out the dessert party was now quite busy – even though it still wasn’t yet 8.30!
We were shown to our table ( which was a change from last time, as it was standing tables only, on a first come first served basis.

Our table had a time on it for us to meet Kylo Ren. Again it was ‘family style seating’ – so as a group of 3, we were sharing the table with 2 other people.

We were in a nicely themed area, although a little way from the food and drinks

They'd also themed the food serving area

The food was a good selection of savoury breads and dips along with olives and cheeses etc (on lightsaber styled skewers).

There were also many themed desserts.

DD’s favourite was definitely the flash frozen Nutella ice-cream (using liquid nitrogen).

There was a range of non-alcoholic drinks, pre-mixed mocktails, and cans of drinks

and also a cocktail bar. The queue for the cocktails varied a little, but I never had to wait very long. The cocktails are small, but quite strong.

DH and I met Kylo Ren (I’m not really a Star Wars fan, but even I found him rather intimidating!) and DH and DD met with BB8 – I think other guests could still meet the characters, but dessert party guests got priority. There were a couple of storm troopers walking around and interacting with guests (there were Jawas at the previous party, who kept trying to trade with us, but not this time).

Then about 9.30, we were led outside to a viewing area in front of the Chinese Theatre for the fireworks/projection display. We were also given a Captain Phasma helmet mug each as we left the launch bay. It was a good dessert party, but we didn’t enjoy it quite as much as last time. It felt a little rushed – between getting food and trying to meet characters, and being led over to the fireworks an hour after the party officially started.

We were glad that we had the reserved viewing though, we had a bit of space to move - looking behind us we could see it was a very popular show!

It is definitely a spectacle worth seeing though:

We decided to hang around in the Studios for a little while longer, to let the queue for the bus reduce, so headed over to see MuppetVision. DD was very impressed that I knew there was a key hidden under the mat as you go in! There's always a little wait in the pre-show area, but I love all the details of the muppets props/ tour belongings.

DH was very excited to see his Aliens souvenir cup (that he'd got at Woody's lunch box) for sale in one of the shops we passed. This cup gets a lot of use at home!

Then it was time for head back to Riverside. The bus was still fairly crowded, but we had a fabulous bus driver (Bill from Flat Rock, Michigan) who kept us all entertained and awake with quiz questions during the journey.

We weren’t awake for long once we got back to our room!

Day 10 is here

WDW POR 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 (Xmas), 2016 and 2018

Edited at 06:51 PM.
Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
You did well with food today, lovely satuli canteen and then the ribs from flametree, 2 of my favourite QS. The food at the dessert party looks pretty substantial too. I love it when the bus drivers are fun and entertain you on the way home. We've had a few good journeys similar to yours. It just adds to the atmosphere and helps make it feel even more special.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Ivegottadream
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Another great day, you get so much done I'm tired just reading it!
The Up! Bird show looks really interesting.
Can't wait to see what you got up to next 😁
Ivegottadream is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
clochette
Apprentice Imagineer

I've just caught up on the last few days. You certainly seem to be making the most of your time! I loved the cake you decorated - very professional! I am also very impressed that you managed to be at a bus stop by 8am this morning when you were up so late the night before, particularly with a teenager!

The Star Wars Dessert Party looks good. We have chosen the Happy Ever After one as we haven't seen it before and I am really looking forward to it but I might look at availability for the Star Wars one as well as DD is a huge Star Wars fan, though I couldn't tell you who any of the characters are in the new films. (I'm old enough to have watched the originals when they first came out )
clochette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another fab day! Sounds like your nap in the afternoon was needed - you've been busy 😊We love the SW dessert parties - definitely better now that you have seats.
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
You did well with food today, lovely satuli canteen and then the ribs from flametree, 2 of my favourite QS. The food at the dessert party looks pretty substantial too. I love it when the bus drivers are fun and entertain you on the way home. We've had a few good journeys similar to yours. It just adds to the atmosphere and helps make it feel even more special.
It was a very yummy day You’re completely right about how bus (and indeed boat) drivers can really add to the magic of Disney. (another reason for me to stay onsite )

Originally Posted by Ivegottadream View Post
Another great day, you get so much done I'm tired just reading it!
The Up! Bird show looks really interesting.
Can't wait to see what you got up to next 😁
I really, a little unexpectedly, enjoyed the bird show. ( Apart from the narrator, who grated on my nerves a bit - but I might have been hot/tired unreasonable). The birds were amazing.
Hoping to get a couple more days posted soon.

Originally Posted by clochette View Post
I've just caught up on the last few days. You certainly seem to be making the most of your time! I loved the cake you decorated - very professional! I am also very impressed that you managed to be at a bus stop by 8am this morning when you were up so late the night before, particularly with a teenager!

The Star Wars Dessert Party looks good. We have chosen the Happy Ever After one as we haven't seen it before and I am really looking forward to it but I might look at availability for the Star Wars one as well as DD is a huge Star Wars fan, though I couldn't tell you who any of the characters are in the new films. (I'm old enough to have watched the originals when they first came out )
I was really impressed by how great the cake looked - although to be honest DD did most of it, I mainly just drank mimosas

DH and DD are both big Star Wars fans, and found the dessert party really special. I am also old enough to have watched the original films (except I didn’t when they came out... much to DHs retrospective horror!). Definitely worth doing if your budget will stretch that far.

Originally Posted by Leia77 View Post
Another fab day! Sounds like your nap in the afternoon was needed - you've been busy 😊We love the SW dessert parties - definitely better now that you have seats.
Disney naps, I find, are essential to manage both early mornings and late nights I agree the tables at the dessert party is an improvement - and we were lucky to end up sharing with a nice couple of people.

Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Nice to know a FP for FoP is doable! How amazing to hear the lion roar on your safari - and never knew that about the MGM lion 😀 never done a dessert party as DH not got a sweet tooth, but not sure whether to try one to get the better viewing for one of the nighttime shows..have you done others too? Would you recommend them? Thanks for sharing!
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
Nice to know a FP for FoP is doable! How amazing to hear the lion roar on your safari - and never knew that about the MGM lion 😀 never done a dessert party as DH not got a sweet tooth, but not sure whether to try one to get the better viewing for one of the nighttime shows..have you done others too? Would you recommend them? Thanks for sharing!
We actually managed to book 3 FP for FoP - but I think it was definitely helped by staying onsite for 2 weeks. We were able to book fast passes from 60 days (based on arrival) so we were booking FoP at what was really 65 or 67 days out. We had a good choice of times etc though.

We've now done all the dessert parties I do have a sweet tooth! We actually did all except MK this trip. MK is my least favourite - as it always feels a bit overcrowded (I've not been since they added the Plaza area as well as the tomorrowland terrace, but I can't imagine that makes the food area any less crowded!) Other people seem to really like it though. Star Wars (Hollywood Studios) and Frozen (Epcot) both have a range of more savoury options as well as lots of cake!

The cost is high - particularly when paying full adult price for DD who cannot make the most of the alcohol (and DH tends to ask for his cocktails "less strong") - but it feels very decadent, and a great holiday extra/treat.

Old 6 Jun 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

Another fantastic day. I'm really enjoying reading about your trip. We like to have very busy trips like you.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List