Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Apr 19, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
EDF I'm so confuseddddd

We've been with EDF for 2 years now.

So this time last year April 2018 we were in credit with them by £150, and going into the summer they put our monthly cost down to £16, (we were paying £40) when September 2018 came, we checked online ready to start paying more for winter coming, and we owed them £200

So they put our monthly payment up to £50

Now I've checked the online banking this morning, they've taken £200 from us, Johns checked our online account with them and we owe them £600...

How can this happen
Old 23 Apr 19, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Louise. Is that for single or dual fuel?

What they dropped you down to sounds a big error to me and it seems it was probably a computer glitch. It doesn't take much to suddenly be using extra energy in a cold snap etc.

If you are happy your meter(s) are ok then not much you can do apart from pay what's due albeit none of us like these unexpected amounts hitting us.

As an aside I battle British Gas who try to keep changing my direct debits (lowering them)and I have to ring up and give some cock and bull story about my usage will be going up so leave my payments as they are.

Edit. Just checked. I pay £74 a month for electric and £75 for gas. However we are heavy on electric as we have over 50 spotlights downstairs and my Wife sometimes has 2 TV's on and not watching either!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 09:12 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Louise. Is that for single or dual fuel?

What they dropped you down to sounds a big error to me and it seems it was probably a computer glitch. It doesn't take much to suddenly be using extra energy in a cold snap etc.

If you are happy your meter(s) are ok then not much you can do apart from pay what's due albeit none of us like these unexpected amounts hitting us.

As an aside I battle British Gas who try to keep changing my direct debits (lowering them)and I have to ring up and give some cock and bull story about my usage will be going up so leave my payments as they are.

Edit. Just checked. I pay £74 a month for electric and £75 for gas. However we are heavy on electric as we have over 50 spotlights downstairs and my Wife sometimes has 2 TV's on and not watching either!
Sorry should have said it's just gas,

The electric is on a metre still, we couldn't have dual fuel as our house has 2 postcodes. Electric on one and gas on the other.

We will certainly be switching today but not what we needed a week before my 30th birthday
Old 23 Apr 19, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Mmm. I know with my supplier I can log in and see my quarterly usage in graph form over the last 2 years. Can you do that with yours to check the consumption is broady similar based on the season?

With gas I always sign up for a 2 or 3 year deal to freeze the prices. Maybe pay a bit more in the 1st year but save that in the following years.

Have you tried Quidco for offers ref switching?

Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

I suppose it depends on your house size and what you use. We were paying £80 per month for both gas and electric in a two bed terrace in Yorkshire. The only thing I had on gas was the heating and taps-rarely used bath and shower was electric.
Now we have a different house which is 4 bed detached that uses gas for heating and cooker and taps. Still electric shower. We are currently set at £100 per month for both. As I haven’t had a bill I have no idea if this will be enough.

From what you have said you were £150. You paid £16pm for about 6m (£96) then £200 in debit. That works out about £446 which is £74 a month.

You were then £200 still in debit. You’ve paid £50pm for about 6m (£300) but still in a debt of £600 so over winter you have used approx £700 which is £116 a month. That sounds about normal to me and I don’t even know your house size etc.
Putting it down to £16 would never have been enough.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Can you check your payments have been hitting your account? Also check the readings are correct.
Old 23 Apr 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Like MrT we continually have to tell our supplier no don’t alter our direct debit as we don’t live life to a normal pattern
We can be away anything from 6weeks to 16 weeks a year we do check our account every month as well
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
And they say Computers dont spy on us!

Darn me after mentioning Quidco I have just had an E Mail off them offering a switch service for energy! Big Brother!

Edited at 10:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 23 Apr 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
This is where they say the smart meters are good as they can view and check your usage and adjust your bills so you're not over or under paying and no nasty surprises. I didn't want a meter for other reasons, but go have a look online about them and it might be right for you.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

My daughter is with EDF, she can't get a smart meter from them yet but on the 1st of every month takes a photo of her meters via their app and they then send her a bill for information purposes as she still pays DD every month, for her doing this is easier than getting an estimate every quarter or however often they do it, maybe you could try that?
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List