Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Apr 19, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mc-bige
a Friend of the DIBB

getting around Orlando roads(main & good) Toll free

Hello all, not sure if this is the right place to put this post.
I will be traveling from MCO to international drive south. apart from following Googlemaps, do people have favourite routes that get you around Orlando, to and from main airport, hassle free and toll free?
mc-bige is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Yes,
We come out via the south road, and join the 192 further down near Kissimmee.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I know American sat navs have the option to avoid toll roads if that will help
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Leave the garage and follow signs for the North Exit. Continue along Jeff Fuqua Blvd passing under 2 flyovers, after you pass under the Beachline Expressway the name of the road changes to South Semoran Blvd, ignore and continue. At the 3rd junction turn left onto Lee Vista Blvd, this will name change to Judge Road, ignore and continue, this will name change to Daetwyler Road, ignore and continue until you arrive at the junction with McCoy Road. You will see the Beachline Expressway in front of you, turn right. The road will name change to West Sand Lake Road, ignore and continue, follow this road all the way to International Drive. If you miss the turn there is a huge McDonalds just past the junction, turn in there, you can drive through the car park back onto I Drive. The next flyover on W Sand Lake Road is I4 and if you go under that then you have gone too far. Have a look at google maps so that you get an idea of where you are going.
Old 24 Apr 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
DH sets the phone satnav to 'toll free'.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mc-bige View Post
Hello all, not sure if this is the right place to put this post.
I will be traveling from MCO to international drive south. apart from following Googlemaps, do people have favourite routes that get you around Orlando, to and from main airport, hassle free and toll free?
IMO avoiding the toll roads to and from the airport is the opposite of "hassle free". Yes it can be done but why bother just to save a few $? I wouldn't really want to try it without a sat nav I could set for "toll free" unless I had a good map reader navigating for me.

Surely your time is worth something too? That southern route via 192 adds dozens of stoplights for example.
Old 24 Apr 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
IMO avoiding the toll roads to and from the airport is the opposite of "hassle free". Yes it can be done but why bother just to save a few $? I wouldn't really want to try it without a sat nav I could set for "toll free" unless I had a good map reader navigating for me.

Surely your time is worth something too? That southern route via 192 adds dozens of stoplights for example.
What’s the rush? Get to see parts of Florida you don’t see. If you want to waste holiday spending money on tolls, that’s your choice.

From my journeys south out the airport the journey time is no longer, plus yiu miss the heavy traffic on the I4 which every year gets more crowded
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
What’s the rush? Get to see parts of Florida you don’t see. If you want to waste holiday spending money on tolls, that’s your choice.

From my journeys south out the airport the journey time is no longer, plus yiu miss the heavy traffic on the I4 which every year gets more crowded
Most people on here are arriving after a long flight and probably would fail to appreciate the scenic route and just want to get to their accommodation. At the moment from from the airport to my house in the Formosa area is 36 minutes using 417 and merely crosses I4. Avoiding tolls is 53 min and that uses I4 for quite alot of it. Via 192 it is more like an hour. The tolls are only about $5. I expect you would use alot more fuel with all the stopping and starting at traffic lights as well.
Old 24 Apr 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

This year for the first time in 30yrs we used the SunPass scheme it was bliss. We have used Toll roads but paid, what did we miss?! We used said Tolls far more than usual but the convenience and less travel time was paramount. We will certainly use it again should we go back.
Old 24 Apr 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post

I agree with almost all of this my point would be that after a long flight I just want the simplest route to my destination which - in my case - typically - involves the southern 417 toll road.