Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Oh the Horror - Day 6 - 15.04.19

Oh the Horror - Day 6 - 15.04.19

Index

I was awake at 8.45 this morning. I hadn’t had the best of nights, ds rolled over and knocked the iPad of the bedside table, it then spent the rest of the night in the drawer. The bed was comfy but the room was too warm so I ended up having to fish the iPad out of the drawer to adjust the room temperature.

Today was a no park day. The shower at Aventura was great, I’d like one that at home.

The view this morning was just as good in the daylight, ds was having volcano bay envy but no way was that happening as a day ticket costs so much.

We were loving the fidget spinner themed decor.

We had hoped to go offsite for breakfast this morning to Kekes perhaps but we were way later than we had hoped. So
again we headed to Starbucks, we were down too late for breakfast but too early for lunch.

Ds had the bacon, cheese and egg thing again with a strawberry and cream frappacinno.

Df and I had bagels with cream cheese, a plain one and an everything one. The everything one was so delicious. We also had caramel lattes. We asked for one less pump of caramel as they normally add 3, even with 2 they were very sweet.

We requested an Uber to Florida mall, we only waited a few minutes and the cost was $14.

Ds was not impressed at more shopping but it was only for a few hours with a promise of his choice what we did later.

Df wanted to go to Pink and picked up some stuff in there. Ds and I had a wander in Journeys, they had some Disney vans in the sale but we decided against them.

Ds wanted to go to Think Geek and was in his element in here. The pop figures were buy 2 get 1 free. He found it really hard to decide but eventually went for a golden Loki, Luna in her lion costume and Hedwig- this cheered him up immensely.

Df and I wanted to go to Sephora. It has great stuff but oh my the staff are poor, it took ages to find someone who could be bothered helping us. The one I had tested foundation on me and left me with 2 big stripes on my face. I bought a few things but less than I had planned on principal. Df didn’t really get on any better. The girl on the cash desk was lovely as well. Much better service at Sephora in Disney springs.

Df and I bought some tops in Aeropostale. They had some really nice stuff and the tops were buy 1 get 2 free. They were really nice and so soft.

Df and I bought some stuff in Bath and Body Works, I'd already bought foaming handsoaps when they were on offer and had them shipped to Beth.

We also managed to buy yet more mint treats.

The standout shop of our trip was Box Lunch. Ds loved the film WALL.E but you hardly ever see stuff related to that film. They had a whole section. He went through a fair chunk of his spending money in here. He bought a backpack, a shirt and a baseball cap.

I bought a T-shirt and df bought a game of thrones top. The staff in here were lovely. I saw a few things I’d really like so I’m planning on putting in an online order to get sent to Beth.

We had arranged to meet Beth, Fairytale Personal Shopper at Aventura at 5pm so we were running out of shopping time.

We headed out and got an Uber back to the hotel.

We had a lovely meet up and chat with Beth and Tim and collected our parcels they had for us. Bath and Body Works, Peppermint Bark, Lego that ds couldn't get here and lots of HP Alex and Ani Bracelets that I had bought when they were half price.

As we had been restricted for time at Florida mall we hadn’t had lunch so we decided to eat in the Urban pantry at the hotel.

Lots of choice.

Ds and df went to the wok and sushi station. Df went for the noodle stir fry. She chose her own veg, chicken and a teriyaki sauce. She thought this was amazing.

Ds wanted the salmon roll but they had not had a delivery of salmon so he went for the tuna one instead. He really liked it, he thought it was as good as the one we’d had at Cowfish. We shared this and I thought it was really nice as well.

I went for the roast station, I wanted salmon but again they didn’t have any so I went for the steak. I chose rice and broccoli, courgettes and green beans for my veg. You also got to help yourself to salad, there was lots of choices and it was lovely and fresh. This was a really nice dinner.

It wasn’t particularly cheap but for quick service it was all pretty amazing.

We asked ds what he wanted to do next and he was torn between swimming or golf. Eventually he settled on golf but we decided to head into Universal first.

Again we caught the boat from Sapphire Falls, such a lovely resort, and headed for the Universal park.

When we entered the parade was underway and believe it or not we’ve never seen it. It was heading up through Hollywood and that’s what way we were heading as well. We stood at watched it while it was stopped.

Afterwards we filled our mugs and had a wander around a few of the shops. They had a stall covered with Pop figures but they were $19 each, the ones ds had bought earlier were $12 and buy 2 get one free. We enjoyed a wander around the prop shop which had loads of interesting things and the horror shop.

Ds was desperate to do the Horror Makeup show so we headed in a little before the show and had a wander around looking at everything. Don't let the scary props put you off, ds is scared of the day he's never seen.

We sat in the front row, ds was hoping Df would be chosen, she wasn’t. This show is so funny. The presenters are hilarious and started picking on ds as part of the show, he took this well. If you’ve not seen it do go as it is very very entertaining!

We were not bothered about doing any rides so it was nice just to wander so we headed up to the Kwike Mart where ds bought some Simpsons Comics.

We headed out before the park closed and walked over to the mini golf. It is $16.99 per person but you get 10% off with the annual pass. We decided on the Horror side. It was great fun and although expensive it was worth it. We did the trivia questions on the way round and got scratch cards at the end one of which was buy a round of golf get one free and they don’t expire so it will be handy for a future trip. We Kate’s the alien one last year and it’s great as well, I really couldn’t choose between them and they look so cool at night.

After our mini golf Voodoo Donuts was quiet again so we thought we’d get a snack and pick up breakfast.

We got the following
Universal orange cream
Cinnamon cake
Glazed old fashioned
Chocolate old fashioned
Apple Crisp.

There has been some debate over what the apple crisp looks likes - indeed it’s not the most appealing to look at but it was lovely.

Here’s the lovely picture ds created - he still ate it though 😂

We headed down to wait for the boat back to Sapphire Falls, the line was pretty large and it was actually getting a little chilly. Finally we ended up sharing a boat with Royal Pacific.

We headed into Urban Pantry and filled our park mugs with iced water from their freestyle machines. So even though we didn’t have the refillable mugs for the resort this was a good feature which saved you buying bottles of water. This would be good as well if you took the little squishy Robinson’s juices with you.
Old 24 Apr 19, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Fab day ! Totally agree with you about box lunch in the mall.really unusual stuff and lovely staff x
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
bootsie
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Haha that doughnut picture! Sounds like such a good day :-)
bootsie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
clochette
Apprentice Imagineer

Another great dsy, with lots of bargains at the Mall.
clochette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
We've only done the horror make up show once, but we really liked it. Actually the kids liked it so much they wanted to return later that day, but of course we didn't. It sounds like quite a nice chilled out day after the excitement of riding all the rides multiple times the day before. Still a fun day though and even better with the donuts.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Floridaagogo View Post
Fab day ! Totally agree with you about box lunch in the mall.really unusual stuff and lovely staff x
The stuff was great in there. I'd certainly like another visit.

Originally Posted by bootsie View Post
Haha that doughnut picture! Sounds like such a good day :-)
Ds thought his picture was hilarous, he will be very happy to hear you liked it.

Originally Posted by clochette View Post
Another great dsy, with lots of bargains at the Mall.
Yes it wasn't too bad at all.

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
We've only done the horror make up show once, but we really liked it. Actually the kids liked it so much they wanted to return later that day, but of course we didn't. It sounds like quite a nice chilled out day after the excitement of riding all the rides multiple times the day before. Still a fun day though and even better with the donuts.
I think we were ready for a break from the parks and although ds is never keen on a shopping trip he quite enjoyed himself. Being picked on at the Horror Make Up Show made his night though. Donuts obviously make everything better apart from my waistline
Old 27 Apr 19, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Can’t wait to try some of these doughnuts👍
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Agree the make up show is well worth a watch. The golf at Universal is fun, I've got saved scratch cards with discounts, worth answering the trivia to win. Donuts looks delicious again.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

That view of Volcano Bay is incredible, it looks like you are in a movie.

The Luna in Pop is awesome!

The WALL-E merchandise is brilliant, it’s really subtle, which is my favourite kind. If you know, you know.

Very impressed with Urban Pantry, I wouldn’t know what to choose!

The mini golf looks and sounds great. We haven’t done Universal since 2013 (it’s not that we don’t like it, we just find Disney enough if that makes sense) but I can see that they have drastically upped their game in recent years. Previously I’d have never thought you could make an entire trip just from Universal, but it is very much a ‘resort’ now.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
Can’t wait to try some of these doughnuts👍
There are so many good ones to pick from.

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Agree the make up show is well worth a watch. The golf at Universal is fun, I've got saved scratch cards with discounts, worth answering the trivia to win. Donuts looks delicious again.
I think I first saw the golf in one of your trip reports, those scratch cards are great, not sure if we will get to play this year as we are only onsite for 2 nights but it is great that they never expire.