Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 24 Apr 19, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
I've never missed a vote since I was 18.

But this one just seems pointless (shamless Remainer here)...

I need somebody to give me some motivation please!
If you don’t vote for who you want it helps the one you don’t want.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
The statistics on voting by age showed that 70% of 18-24yr olds that voted chose remain so if it is quite possible if more people in that age group voted then the results could well have been different.

64% of over 65s voted to leave.

The real crime is that only 72% of those able to vote bothered...which for such an important issue is shocking really
What is worse is when you find out that the grand parents voted leave for a better future for their grand kids but the grand kids all voted to remain!
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02

Edited at 05:05 PM.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
What is worse is when you find out that the grand parents voted leave for a better future but the grand kids all voted to remain!
Yes, crazy really but I guess they all voted for what they genuinely believed.

I was 56 when the vote was made and my youngest was 17 and unable to vote. The impact on him and his future is far greater than it will be on mine so I decided that I would vote for what he wanted
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Do you mean you will spoil your ballot paper if you are not able to vote for a Farage, BREXIT Party candidate ?
I always found it weird that Farage and other UKIP members put themselves forward to be MEPs. Being members of the European parliament seemed like the complete opposite of what they were advocating.

I can only assume they did it to stop others from being MEPs and had no intention of attending European parliamentary meetings and voting on our behalf.

(BTW, in our last local election (not EU election) the Labour candidate won by just 2 votes. Every vote does count).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I always found it weird that Farage and other UKIP members put themselves forward to be MEPs. Being members of the European parliament seemed like the complete opposite of what they were advocating.

I can only assume they did it to stop others from being MEPs and had no intention of attending European parliamentary meetings and voting on our behalf.

(BTW, in our last local election (not EU election) the Labour candidate won by just 2 votes. Every vote does count).
Farage did it for Eur90,000/year (before expenses!) and a job-without-work...
IndianaMac is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
loobz
Imagineer

loobz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Got our polling cards through the door yesterday.

Seems a futile endeavour, but what was heartening was watching my 18 year old daughter last night - sitting researching candidates on-line - it is her first chance to vote and she is taking it seriously.

I both applaud her, and feel for her... with the fresh fervour of youth she wants her vote to make a difference, I'm not sure what a vote in these elections can achieve.
my daughter is so excited as her birthday is on 2nd May so she actually gets to vote on her 18th birthday. Her dad is standing for election as a parish councillor so she knows who to vote for!
Old 24 Apr 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Do you mean you will spoil your ballot paper if you are not able to vote for a Farage, BREXIT Party candidate ?
I haven’t made my mind up yet, I may spoil it regardless. I think the whole thing is a massive waste of money.

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by IndianaMac View Post
Don’t forget the pension plan
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by IndianaMac View Post
Haha.

Well, yes, I suspect a lot of MEPs did it for the money. Perhaps not the "job-without-work" bit for those that were actually serious about working together with the rest of Europe. But I bet very few would do it if they weren't paid.

Perhaps I should've asked why people voted for UKIP members to be MEPs? It seems counter-intuitive, unless it was a protest vote.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
loobz
Imagineer

loobz's Reviews
Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Yes, crazy really but I guess they all voted for what they genuinely believed.

I was 56 when the vote was made and my youngest was 17 and unable to vote. The impact on him and his future is far greater than it will be on mine so I decided that I would vote for what he wanted
my DD was the same so I let her have my vote (she voted remain). One of her biggest complaints is that the referendum wasn't open to 16 and 17 year olds (like the Scottish independence referendum was)
Closed Thread