Old 19 May 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
kev007
Imagineer

kev007's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Watching DVDs on the plane

Hi guys

There's usually not much on the in-flight entertainment that I want to watch so am thinking about watching some DVDs that I've brought this year (mainly box sets) that I haven't yet had the chance to on the flight and also on holiday.

Originally I thought about buying a mini DVD player - seen a 10.5 inch model for around £45 online - which seems reasonable.

I've had some Argos vouchers for a while and am now going to get a new 10 inch tablet ,probably the Huawei T5 as my DW and me both have Huawei mobiles and been impressed.

How easy is it to covert a DVD so I can view on the tablet?

I believe a program like Handbrake could do the job?

How long would it take to rip each DVD and also how much space would they take (the model I am looking to buy has 32Gb although I know the OS and installed apps would take up some of that).

If I go with my original plan, any recommendations for a decent mini DVD player, 10 or 11 inch screen?

Sorry for so many questions

Thanks guys!

Kev
kev007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
KymmieAKiss
Apprentice Imagineer

KymmieAKiss's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by kev007 View Post
Hi guys

There's usually not much on the in-flight entertainment that I want to watch so am thinking about watching some DVDs that I've brought this year (mainly box sets) that I haven't yet had the chance to on the flight and also on holiday.

Originally I thought about buying a mini DVD player - seen a 10.5 inch model for around £45 online - which seems reasonable.

I've had some Argos vouchers for a while and am now going to get a new 10 inch tablet ,probably the Huawei T5 as my DW and me both have Huawei mobiles and been impressed.

How easy is it to covert a DVD so I can view on the tablet?

I believe a program like Handbrake could do the job?

How long would it take to rip each DVD and also how much space would they take (the model I am looking to buy has 32Gb although I know the OS and installed apps would take up some of that).

If I go with my original plan, any recommendations for a decent mini DVD player, 10 or 11 inch screen?

Sorry for so many questions

Thanks guys!

Kev
A lot of DVD's have a feature where thy cannot be copied. So you could try but I don't know if it would work.
YOu can download episodes/films on Netflix and amazon prime to watch on your phone or tablet. I did it with the walking dead last year on the plane

The problem with taking the portable dvd player is you have to carry about the dvds with you

DVC member since Sept '18
Youtube - Kymmieakiss
KymmieAKiss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 19, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

DVD encryption got broken a few years ago - the best way to rip them is with MakeMKV which creates a pure digital copy of the disc.

Then using handbreak to compress the file to an MP4 for most tablets to play back natively.
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

handbrake will do the job of ripping dvds to a suitable tablet format.

youll need vlc, kodi or some other media player on the tablet, but otherwise, youre good to go
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Dear God sounds like a foreign language - take War & Peace in book form instead ;-)