Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 1 Jun 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Kinggie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Tell me about Orlando without a car

Hi guys

This will be our 6th visit and the first one without a car. This trip wasn’t planned and only got booked this week.

I’ve always been the driver in the US and tbh I’m quite looking forward not to have to drive. We are planning on using Uber and Lyft. We have looked at the iride but at £2 a trip each an Uber makes more sense.

We are staying at Pointe so won’t need any transport in the evenings and only doing Universal up the road this time,

However during our second week I’d like to take a couple of trips out like maybe Daytona beach and maybe an airboat ride. Would it be easy to get to without a car using public transports?

Thanks
2016 Disney - LBV
2018 Universal - Pointe Orlando
Kinggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Not sure about travelling further afield but getting around Orlando on Uber is super easy and very efficient. I thought well priced too. We stay at Disney so a bit different I know, but used Uber extensively last trip after always having had a car. I reasoned that a car was £500 plus Universal parking costs so was happy to spent the same on Uber so we didn’t have to drive. We spent about £130 so saved a fortune.
Old 1 Jun 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Kinggie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Not sure about travelling further afield but getting around Orlando on Uber is super easy and very efficient. I thought well priced too. We stay at Disney so a bit different I know, but used Uber extensively last trip after always having had a car. I reasoned that a car was £500 plus Universal parking costs so was happy to spent the same on Uber so we didn’t have to drive. We spent about £130 so saved a fortune.
This is what we thought we would have to spend over £40 per day in Uber to spend what a car would cost us which I don’t think we will.
2016 Disney - LBV
Kinggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

You could maybe just hire a car for a few days in the middle of your stay to do longer beach trips etc. We did a trip one time, no car just Uber, worked out fine!
Old 1 Jun 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
lorr05
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Mobile

We also stayed at Disney so mainly used Disney transport. The thought of driving in the US terrifies me so when we wanted to go to universal, malls or wall mart we used Uber and never had any issues. Much cheaper than taxis and definitely cheaper than a car would have been.
lorr05 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Kinggie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
You could maybe just hire a car for a few days in the middle of your stay to do longer beach trips etc. We did a trip one time, no car just Uber, worked out fine!
We have been considering it but will have to check on price closer to the time. Found a coach for Daytona beach for $20 each. Could be an adventure 😂
2016 Disney - LBV
Old 1 Jun 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
raven45678
Helping Minnie

Uber and Lyft are super easy and pretty cheap, so just to get around to Universal, the airport etc it's well worth doing rather than hiring a car and paying for parking etc on top. We've only ever waited a few minutes and if you have data through your phone (such as through 3) you don't have to worry about wifi.

Going further afield you could pre-book excusions as ticket websites have day trips - we did this through Floridatix for an airboat ride and KSC where they take you on a coach. Worked fine for one or two trips. Not as flexible perhaps as having a car, so perhaps hiring a car just for a couple of days and doing your day trips then would be a good plan.

Edited at 09:56 AM.
raven45678 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Kinggie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by raven45678 View Post
Uber and Lyft are super easy and pretty cheap, so just to get around to UNiversal, the airport etc it's well worth doing rather than hiring a car. Going further afield you could pre-book excusions (ticket websites have day trips) - we did this for an airboat ride and KSC where they take you on a coach. Not as flexible perhaps as having a car, so perhaps hiring a car just for a couple of days would be a good idea and doing your day trips then would be a good plan.
I never thought about excursions tickets. Will have a look into it. Thanks
2016 Disney - LBV
Old 1 Jun 19, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

You can buy iride passes for multiple days that work out cheaper, we talked about it but in the end didn't bother and used Lyft everywhere (stayed on I Drive and did the attractions there no Disney). Worked brilliantly.
We then picked up a car for our second week for Mount Dora , KSC,Tampa and Vero.
I honestly can't see the point of hiring a car for I Drive anymore.

Edited at 04:43 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink Tina
slightly serious Dibber

Orlandoattractions.com do a 14 days for price of 7 I-ride pass for less than £10 each, might be worth considering