Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jun 19, 01:02 AM  
Link to this Post
willow
Imagineer

Injury during work time

I’ve suffered bad injury whilst taking part in team building exercise with work.
This has meant that I have had to have time off work with a loss of wages plus also the expense of having to go with private healthcare (the NHS where pants!)
Over the course of treatment a few people have said that I should go for one of those accident claims but this doesn’t sit right with me.

With lack of wages and hospital costs I’m probably about £1000 out of pocket and will still need to see physio for the next month at least.

It was a accident.What are people’s opinions?

Indian Creek 2004,Radison 2005
Indian Creek 2007,Calabry Park 2009
Lake Wilson Preserve 2011,2013, 2015,2016,2017,2018, 2019,2020

Edited at 01:27 AM.
willow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 01:57 AM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

If in a union, speak to them.

If not, speak to a solicitor.

Check your contract.

You should not be out of pocket for a work related injury.

Good health and good luck.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 03:06 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

You suffered an injury which could potentially be an issue in the future.
A personal injury claim will look at the whole situation and assess whether it was preventable or not . Was a full risk assessment completed? Did it happen at your work place or off site as this may make a difference.

As it was clearly work related your employer also has a duty of care to you but not sure if it is reportable under RIDDOR
Old 25 Jun 19, 06:02 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

What caused the injury on the team building exercise. Just because you were injured doesn’t mean there is blame.

You don’t give any information, so it’s impossible for even a skilled lawyer to answer your question !
Old 25 Jun 19, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
You suffered an injury which could potentially be an issue in the future.
A personal injury claim will look at the whole situation and assess whether it was preventable or not . Was a full risk assessment completed? Did it happen at your work place or off site as this may make a difference.

As it was clearly work related your employer also has a duty of care to you but not sure if it is reportable under RIDDOR
It's unlikely to be reportable under RiDDOR as it sounds like an injury at work not an injury whilst working.

From the little you say it was during s team activity not your actual work so not work related. This things are never compulsory,even though some feel like it.

If it's really that bad I wouldn't do a claim just yet as your not recovered. You only get one chance and in you claim now for the £1000 you might suffer more, longer lasting injury and regret claiming so soon.

A solicitor will tell you to claim as they will make money too.

As PP says you've not given us enough information for an opinion.

Were they negligent? Was it foreseeable? Were you fit and healthy to be doing task? Never had back issue before? Did you stretch and warm-up before hand?

Sometimes things are just an accident with no one at fault. It's just unfortunate that it happened and you needed time off.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post

I agree with the above posters, that it really is impossible to comment on whether you would be advised to seek compensation without knowing what happened. If you don’t want to share that on a forum, then you need to go and speak to a solicitor confidentially.

I don’t agree with the blanket statement that you shouldn’t be out of pocket with a work related injury, as above, it doesn’t mean the employer was to blame. Also as you can see from the link below, citizens advice only indicate that you should get statutory sick pay and anything more would depend on sick policy. Also you really didn’t need to seek private treatment, as we have the NHS, I doubt that the employer would be liable for costs that you have opted to incur.

citizensadvice.uk/wo...work-overview/
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

I suffered an injury on outside steps at work. I had no intention of making a claim until they made me "redundant" while I was still in plaster and covered with a medical certificate. I found out my job had been given to someone else. Luckily hubby had been in on the Sunday to photograph the steps. Halfway thru the process I and my solicitor had to meet with the firm and their solicitor. They had put in new steps and were shocked to find we had dated photographs of the original steps. Two weeks before the court date they folded and I won my case plus all my fees and expenses.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
First point of call C A B they give good advice
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

You should be seeking solicitor advice not asking the question on here to be honest only they would be able to access if its worth taking further or not. As Claudette pointed out it was your choice to go private not a necessity so you would probably be wasting your time trying to claim for that any way.
Old 25 Jun 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyStacey
Apprentice Imagineer

I agree with others.

Without knowing more about your injury or how it occurred, no one could possibly accurately comment. I have had several injuries at work, varying in severity. Some have required me to need time off. I have never tried to seek compensation. Accidents do happen. None of them were due to my employer's negligence, they were just accidents.

An injury at/during work doesn't necessarily mean that it was your employer's fault. Everyone is always so quick to apportion blame these days (that's not aimed at you OP, I just mean in general).

Also seeking private treatment was unlikely to be a necessity - although I do symapthise that the NHS aren't always the quickest solution and when you're in pain, you just want it sorting asap.

Seeking professional advice would probably be your best bet. The link Claudette provided is full of useful information and the CAB are always a good (and free) place to start.
x
DisneyStacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List