Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 9 Dec 18, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

New 4 legged family member - camera help needed!

This is Verdict - the newest member of the family! DH and I finally accepted the inevitable! After a 2 hour vet visit on Friday, we are now proud owners of a pony!

He is kept at a local stables where F will also take lessons and join their competition team! We ended up moving stables as the previous one was just a little bit far! This one is in our town and cyclable for F! Even better, they also agreed she could do her work experience there the week after next!

So my question is, this photo was taken with my iphone 8. I have also taken some with my Nixon B500 but the ones when the pony is in motion are not that good. Any ideas for a better camera that will take action shots and that I can zoom in on? Also, she will do a lot of her training in the covered arena so it needs to be able to do that. I am guessing I need either a good bridge camera at the very least?

Thanks

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 18, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

While I haven't looked at the detail behind your Nikon, I dont think the camera is the problem.
For motion shots you want to set your camera t have a fast shutter speed. It looks like it goes to 1/1500s so plenty fast enough.

And dont use the zoom - more zoom = more shake on any camera.

So the Nikon looks like it is up to the job - think maybe you need to try and use the features you have. Dos it have full manual? If so, use this.

Sorry, but a new camera won't really fix this. Good photos are 90% photographer and 10% camera.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
OP, as Tspill mentioned zoom and motion are not happy bedfellows

If you are/need to use the zoom a few things to keep in mind that will help.

Use the manual settings if available
Turn off the digital zoom, use optical only.
Keep the zoom to a minimum
Move the camera smoothly (following the motion of the horse) and keep moving (very important this), at the same pace, even after you have clicked the shutter

For fixed shots or where they are moving towards you, use a tripod, or stand of some sort.

Practice these before spending any money I also think the camera should be ok (at least until you have mastered the above)

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL

Edited at 12:17 AM.
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

With modern cameras, with high pixel counts - dont zoom and crop later.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you. I will play more with the camera! Will let you know how I get on!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

if you've not already got one, a cheap tripod will improve shots massively. you dont need anything fancy, even a £10 one will do the job
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Thanks Wanye - I think I will need to spend the holidays practising until I find the right options!

Index of my trip reports
Old 13 Dec 18, 01:32 AM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

Nikon B500 has a sport mode on the dial apparently (might be one of the scene settings?), give it a try with that turned on, it should pick settings suited to motion without you having to dig too deep in manual mode.
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by kaytronika View Post
Nikon B500 has a sport mode on the dial apparently (might be one of the scene settings?), give it a try with that turned on, it should pick settings suited to motion without you having to dig too deep in manual mode.
I did try that. I think it didn’t help that we were in the covered arena so the light isn’t the best. I will have another go this weekend!

Index of my trip reports
Old 15 Dec 18, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
I did try that. I think it didn’t help that we were in the covered arena so the light isn’t the best. I will have another go this weekend!
Yes, light is super important for action shots... With more light the camera will only need to open the shutter for a short time, with the shutter open for a short time you won't see motion blur.

Wait for a good sunny day and things will improve no end
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List