Notices

Old 29 Apr 19, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Quebec City: Spring 2019 - Day 9 Going Home

I woke up again to the sound of rain!

I pottered around for quite a while. Coffee was drunk! I wondered whether to walk anyway to get some breakfast and decided I would risk it!

Copper Branch had an avocado option so I decided I would go there. Even though it was 9am, the streets were empty!

Avocado on toast - it was lovely! Good to get a superfood in

I picked up a cafe latte and made my way back to the apartment. As soon as I walked through the door my phone pinged with a push notification from the Air Canada app telling me Toronto flight had been cancelled! Not what I wanted to hear! I have only managed once on my last five long haul trips to actually fly on ALL the flights actually booked!

I received an email telling me that I would receive further information about replacement flights! As I was going to the airport in the next hour, I decided to wait to talk to someone face to face!

At 10.45AM I locked up, went down to the entrance and put the key back in the key box. The taxi arrived at 10.55AM.

It actually only took 15minutes to get to the airport (which us even smaller than my local one!)

I went to the Air Canada desk. It took an hour to reroute me - flights were very busy! Each time the agent thought she had cracked it, she realized I was being waitlisted! Errr - no thank you. My app changed every few minutes! At one stage I had more flights than needed and there were two of me!

Eventually she managed to get me sorted - Quebec-Montreal-Frankfurt-home. The downside was that I would have a 7 hour layover in Montreal and an 8 hour one in Frankfurt! Great!

As an aside, I had an email from Brussels Airline this afternoon telling me my return flight had been cancelled as I hadn't been on my Brussels flight... Mmmmm- someone messed up there then!

I was told to go through security as the flight was only 45 minutes away! This was very quick and I even saw the plane come in!

We boarded on time - I was on the back row -a theme for the day

It was a quick 30 minutes flight- and it was still raining in Montreal!

Since I was last in Montreal last year, they have now divided up the airside area - into domestic, international and USA. I arrived in domestic. Once I realised I would have to go through I went to Tom Hortons to get some provisions.

I went through to the international part and spent the next few hours wandering and drinking coffee! I also had a mozzarella panini. I also spoke to F via Facetime.

Boarding started on time. I did wonder about my seat as according to seatguru it didn't exist! On boarding I found it did - back-row aisle! At least I could recline in peace!

Before boarding I did also get J a Canada Starbucks coffee cup!

The flight took off on time.

Obviously as I was on a different flight than I had expected, I didn't have my veggie meal. However, they did have a veggie pasta dish.

It was pretty grim! Even the chocolate cake was dire!

I spent the flight reading my kindle and managed about 4 hours of sleep. Breakfast was not even worth trying!

We landed on time - not that I was in any rush as I had 8 hours until the next flight!

I went through passport control and then security. Terminal A is fairly dull! I did manage to nod off for about 90 minutes in a quiet part of the terminal.

The food options were fairly bread based but there was one Asian restaurant.

I had a ginger lemonade(bought back memories of Argentina! )

And a veggie fried rice! It was nice - and better than bread!

The 8 hours dragged...

Boarding was again via bus! I was last to board at the back - as the back row was empty I asked if I could sit there! They agreed!

I literally sat down and fell asleep! I woke up minutes before landing!

Miraculously, my suitcase was out very quickly! J and the kids came to meet me!

I was happy to be home!

I will try to write up a summary later in the week!

Thanks for reading!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 29 Apr 19 8:07 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 19, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Welcome home Mel. What a long and exhausting trip home, long layovers are the worst! Hope you recover quickly. Thanks as always for sharing our trip, I loved reading along.
Old 30 Apr 19, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Sounds like a really tiring journey home - just what you don’t need! Glad it was a good trip, if a bit cold!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 19, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I bet you were pleased to see J and finally get home after that journey. Looked like another great trip though 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 19, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

What a flight fiasco! Glad you got home safely Mel, and I love the mug!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Oh dear to the faffing and frankly dire flight food. Glad you made it back after a marathon journey. Would you go again?

Edited at 08:57 AM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 19, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Enjoyed reading along, sorry I haven’t commented on everyday, thanks for sharing your travels.

It wouldn’t be a trip without cinnamon bagels!

Did you get your test results? Do you think you would go back to the language school?

I think I missed O this trip...hope the studying is going well, wishing him all the best for his exams.

Will I have any beautiful lake views this year? I can’t remember if you said you were off all together before O is in University.
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

I bet it was nice to get home, the avocado breakfast looked fantastic.
Old 17 Jun 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
What a nightmare of a travel home day for you Mel. So much time wasted sitting in an airport for the layovers. I bet you were so glad to get home!

Have you got any other travel plans in the pipeline?
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List