Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Cameras

I’m looking for a new camera. But I’m not really sure what I want. I currently have a 8year old Nikon d3100.

I’ve got about £1000 in total.

I’m undecided whether I want a newer dslr, or to go for a premium compact. I need some advice.

I’m not looking for too much in a camera. The brand doesn’t bother me. I’d like a viewfinder, manual controls, to be able to use a remote cord or control, I’d like to be able to blow the pictures up to put in a frame. I like to take landscapes, nighttime pictures and dogs.

I think a mid range dslr and a couple lenses would be sensible, but a compact is quite attractive but I fear they might not have enough to fiddle with.

Any advice?

Thanks.
hexagon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
braby
Serious Dibber

It honestly comes down to whether you want to carry the weight of a dSLR around or not. For me I prefer to use a dSLR, have tried compacts but the image quality and the user customization for me doesn't get close to that of a dSLR.
With the advances in dSLR's nowadays the images from entry level dSLR's can be just as good as anything from the top end.
I brought myself a Canon 200D for my last trip, have used Canon for years and already had the lenses that I wanted, it is a small, light camera, it weighes about the same as a good bridge camera, the images from it easily match my more expensive camera bodies that I have.
When it comes down to brand and model the advise I was given years ago was to go to a shop and hold each camera and find one that feels right in the hand for you.
braby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by braby View Post
It honestly comes down to whether you want to carry the weight of a dSLR around or not. For me I prefer to use a dSLR, have tried compacts but the image quality and the user customization for me doesn't get close to that of a dSLR.
With the advances in dSLR's nowadays the images from entry level dSLR's can be just as good as anything from the top end.
I brought myself a Canon 200D for my last trip, have used Canon for years and already had the lenses that I wanted, it is a small, light camera, it weighes about the same as a good bridge camera, the images from it easily match my more expensive camera bodies that I have.
When it comes down to brand and model the advise I was given years ago was to go to a shop and hold each camera and find one that feels right in the hand for you.
I don’t mind the weight of a dslr, I’ve a nice strap and a great rucksack.

I’m thinking cheaper body and then I have more money for the lenses I want.

I’ve not looked for a camera for ages so I’m just a touch baffled.

Thanks.
hexagon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Well, I’ve done rather a lot of nosying around, and I’m thinking Nikon d3500 +18-55mm, 70-30mm and 10-20mm. I think that seems a good plan, unless anyone has any better suggestions.
Old 30 Apr 19, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

whats wrong with your existing body? why not just blow the money on lenses?
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by wanye View Post
whats wrong with your existing body? why not just blow the money on lenses?
Hmm didn’t think of that. I’ll have to compare them all. They’re arent any other lenses I would make use of I don’t think, otherwise that’d probably be the way to go.
Old 30 Apr 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

apart from increased megapixel count, the only real improvement on recent SLRs is the addition of video... pretty much everything else is just a spec bump.

and going from 10 megapixels up to over 20? most people never even need 10mp, pretty much all their photos are only ever being uploaded to facebook, or printed out in a 6x4 photo...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 19, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
I’ve been recommended a second hand website so gonna get a 10-20mm and a something to 400mm. And go from there I think.
Old 30 Apr 19, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
ASCollins
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

MPB.com if you're looking for second hand. I have used them several times and can't rate them highly enough.
Very fair too. The only time I have ever sold something where they increased the price we had already agreed upon when they came to physically examine it.
Also, if you don't need any other lenses then why not upgrade what you already have? Get yourself a nice red ring (or whatever the Nikon equivalent is).

CANON4LIFE
ASCollins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 19, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by ASCollins View Post
MPB.com if you're looking for second hand. I have used them several times and can't rate them highly enough.
Very fair too. The only time I have ever sold something where they increased the price we had already agreed upon when they came to physically examine it.
Also, if you don't need any other lenses then why not upgrade what you already have? Get yourself a nice red ring (or whatever the Nikon equivalent is).

CANON4LIFE
That’s the site I was recommended. Good someone else recommends it too.