Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 18 May 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
pdcdad
VIP Dibber

Mobile Buying DVC points

What is the best way to research buying DVC points.
Do you go and chat while on site or not I don’t want to be caught for ages or pressured. I have also looked at DVC section on the dibb as well😄
Can you do a “false” quote to get and idea of costs?
Is it best to buy say 7 days then buy points if needed we will only be going every 2/3 years.
It all seems very confusing but I’m sure it’s not I know it’s not an investment and it’s going to cost just need to get my head round it. Help gratefully received
pdcdad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

There will be Dibbers who own to help but if you read through this part of the forum there is some invaluable advice from very knowledgeable people. Scroll through the threads and you will find loads of help
Good luck
Old 19 May 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
From your post you are a mile away from "going for a chat" First things to consider:
1. Where ? 14 Originals & 1 new opening this year
This will determine your most cost effective way of buying
2. When? Different points for different times
3.Room size? Can you make do with a studio or do you need bigger
4. How long? You mention 7 nights so that's 2 weeks every second or 3 weeks every 3 but is affected by Q1

Resale wise you're probably looking around £8k, Direct £16k- either way a decent chunk of change plus annual dues every year no matter if you go or not. Personally if I couldn't do "every 2" I would stay away, there are also cheaper ways to stay at Disney.

Research wise: Plenty of good info online & the Dis have just done a whole lot of episodes on that subject.

SD
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
ginnyfish
Getting Excited

Hi pdcdad!
You don’t need a quote to get an idea of costs, just a good spreed sheet and a little research. as Shooby Do said, first think about what you need. Studio, one bed, two bed or more! Then research the Resorts. If you are looking for only studio rooms, these can be a tough book even at 11 months at Cooper creak or Grand Flow. Poly does t have 1 beds, so would be a bad choice if that was your preferred room type, but 1 beds are the essayist to book at 7 months (when your ‘home’ resort no longer matters). I made a big spread sheet and poured over it for 2 years, updating prices and researching dvc before buying.

Edited at 12:17 PM.
ginnyfish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
ginnyfish
Getting Excited

Also, I would advise spending some time where you buy first. A short stay would be best, but even a meal in the evening would help. We first planned to by SSR, as I think it’s the best deal, but after staying there, even though it is a wonderful please, we decided we preferred more laid back resorts like OKW and the Poly.
Old 19 May 19, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
pdcdad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
From your post you are a mile away from "going for a chat" First things to consider:
1. Where ? 14 Originals & 1 new opening this year
This will determine your most cost effective way of buying
2. When? Different points for different times
3.Room size? Can you make do with a studio or do you need bigger
4. How long? You mention 7 nights so that's 2 weeks every second or 3 weeks every 3 but is affected by Q1

Resale wise you're probably looking around £8k, Direct £16k- either way a decent chunk of change plus annual dues every year no matter if you go or not. Personally if I couldn't do "every 2" I would stay away, there are also cheaper ways to stay at Disney.

Research wise: Plenty of good info online & the Dis have just done a whole lot of episodes on that subject.

SD
SD
Thank you for the great advice I will sit down when home work through things there is no hurry at all for us so as you say slowly does it.
pdcdad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
pdcdad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

First question of many
Are you always able to get your home resort ?
Old 19 May 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pdcdad View Post
First question of many
Are you always able to get your home resort ?
Start with reading Disney Tourist Blog, some good starter articles.

The ‘other board’ whilst I don’t like to point people there on here, it has a huge DVC group and the people there are very knowledgeable and also quite critical where necessary. Start reading all the threads.

Ensure you know about all the cons- you will pick up a lot over there.

DVC Info - read all their articles.

Fully research resale and direct options.

As to your question now, yes mostly at 11 months. There are a few exceptions where you might struggle. These are certain resorts and certain room types (studios) at certain times. Essentially it gets harder to book late September/ early October to early Jan and US holidays. In some circumstances people are walking studios , for example Copper Creek at Xmas. Google walking DVC to find out what that means.

1 beds are generally much easier to book than studios but twice the points so if you want to stay at other resorts, consider enough points for them.
Old 19 May 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Generally yes but & you should consider this, as I recently watched a guy on youtube that bought in to DVC then pulled out once he realised it didn't suit his holiday planning/needs. Are you happy to be planning your holidays 11 month in advance? Most owners are trying to maximise their points, so looking at low value rooms/standards, the further away from that 11 month window the more you get left with the high value rooms. Some resorts have very few studios to begin with & go quickly, so whilst I would say yes you get your HR it isn't guaranteed as there are plenty of owners "fishing in the same pond" IYKWIM
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
pdcdad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thank you all it does seem very complex but will do my research it may not be for us but I would like to think it could be. So it’s my homework when I get home.