Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Jun 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Shkyler View Post
Im presuming if paying in cash you need coins or can you use notes too?
If you're paying cash at a manned toll you can use notes, coins or a mixture. At an unmanned toll though you have to pay coins as the machine weighs what you've thrown into the basket. We always use quarters but I guess you can use a mixture of nickels, dimes and quarters. Wouldn't want to risk pennies.

There will either be a light that turns green or a matrix sign that counts down through $1, 75 cents, 50 cents, 25 cents to zero. If you want a receipt at the unmanned ones just press the button.

I've never looked but I guess there's a way of paying with a CC but I'm not inclined using one for a dollar.

Mick
Old 21 Jun 19, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Shkyler
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks so much will only be using it to and from the airport so will forage for coins!
Shkyler is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Shkyler View Post
Thanks so much will only be using it to and from the airport so will forage for coins!
No need to "forage" The first tolls leaving MCO north on 528, south on 417 or leaving SFB on 417 south are manned. Just make sure you have a $20 bill or less and get change from the attendant for future cash use.

Mick
Old 22 Jun 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
hyte1
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Sorry not being funny but the US27 runs 480 miles from Miami to the north of the state.

Can I assume the bit where loads of villa communities are say from the 192 junction down to Posner Park?

If so then yes you can pay cash. Maybe your route would roughly be the same as ours every visit. 417 south then leave at j2 on to Celebration Avenue. Two tolls like my first photo (2 x $1.75 I recall) then the exit ramp as my second photo $1. Come off the 417 at Osceola at j3 then the same unmanned toll.

If you're going further south on the 27 and merging with I-4 at the Mickey Pylon there's another manned one I think at the merger.

You can use cash at all of them though.

Mick
Hi Mick,

I had never realised the US27 was so long, sorry I should have been a bit more specific. You were right though, us27/192 junction area is where we are.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Chris.
Old 22 Jun 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by hyte1 View Post
Hi Mick,

I had never realised the US27 was so long, sorry I should have been a bit more specific. You were right though, us27/192 junction area is where we are.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Chris.
Chris

So you're around the Highgrove area I guess? Maybe best to come off 417 at j2 then onto Celebration Ave, right up to the 192 then left all the way to the 27.

Mick
Old 22 Jun 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post

The visitor pass has been extended to end of August and is an easier option. There is a a thread .. will find it.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1133962
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
The visitor pass has been extended to end of August and is an easier option. There is a a thread .. will find it.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1133962
I haven't read every post about them but not sure that we'd bother if it was extended further. Our toll use if paying cash in a month's holiday is only around $10 on the two airport runs

It looks good if you're planning to use toll roads regularly and save the hire company's admin fee.

Mick
Old 22 Jun 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
moblies
Proud to wear my Ears

we are booked with Avis for two weeks starting 30th July, do we flick a switch to opt in for the tolls or is it automatic. Reading about the Visitor toll Pass I wonder if its worth it. Avis charges seem pretty reasonable. I guess all i'd save is the Admin charge.
moblies is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by moblies View Post
we are booked with Avis for two weeks starting 30th July, do we flick a switch to opt in for the tolls or is it automatic. Reading about the Visitor toll Pass I wonder if its worth it. Avis charges seem pretty reasonable. I guess all i'd save is the Admin charge.
Some Avis cars have a built in transponder but not related to the current visitor's pass. All hire cars work on "toll by plate" in Florida so transponder has no effect either on or off. Drive through a Sunpass lane without stopping to pay will set the camera off and you're automatically in.

Only you can decide about the pass. As I said earlier it's probably not for us because of low toll use. We don't avoid tolls but after the airport run we don't seem to use 408, 417, 429, 528, Turnpike at all.

Mick