Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 4 Jul 16, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Road Trip Seattle to San Francisco - Day 1 - Travel Day

Day 1 – Travel Day

7th June 2016 – here at long last! After a year of planning and booking our flights with BA on the 11 month mark we were finally going. I’d spent so much time planning our route Seattle to San Francisco that it all seemed a bit surreal to be actually happening rather than a spreadsheet and my imagination.

Usually we stay at the airport the night before (I have traffic distrust with holidays!) but this time it was 3.30pm so we had plenty of time. First job was to take our cat, Pepper, to the cattery. Sad to leave her but we know she’s in great hands.

A thankfully easy drive up to Heathrow and Purple Business Parking, which we always use. Quick transport to T5 and dropped off our bags.

At this point we had a call from our daughter and her boyfriend who were staying at our house for the night before travelling back to Hitchin, where they live. They couldn’t get the front door to lock! Aaargh! Eventually they called out Homeserve who came really quickly and said the door had dropped for some reason and wasn’t locking. They fixed it within an hour though and all was well. I’m just glad it didn’t happen as we were leaving for the airport!

Security next, browse in duty free and coffee and snack at Starbucks. Our flight was delayed an hour – most of it after boarding – due to storms in the area. Believe me, I don’t mind – taking off is the bit I hate most.

We had a pair of seats second row from the back – 49 A&B - and it was a great place to be. Legroom for Will, nobody to climb over and we weren’t bothered by people walking past. I watched Zootropolis and The Heat. Enjoyed both of them. I listened to music, read and tried to get some sleep the rest of the time. Will read his book, did Suduko and watched Hail Caesar, which he was disappointed in after the hype. Food was chicken or pasta (what no beef!) and we both had chicken.

We landed in Seattle at 5.45pm local time with the -8 hour time difference - after flying over some spectacular scenery.

We caught the light rail train to the Westlake Centre - $8.50 for 35 minute ride – and then transferred to the monorail for $2.25 each. I just loved this and it had the same gates as the Disney monorail  Like the Space Needle it was built for the World Fair in 1962. Just two minutes later along the fast track and we were at the Seattle Centre.

This is the first thing we saw on leaving the station!

Our hotel was just 5 minutes walk away. We stayed at the Travelodge – booked on location and price. Some of the reviews weren’t great and the decorator must have had a brown fetish but we found it to be absolutely fine.

Checkin was easy and helpful. We had a room on 3rd floor overlooking the pool. Room was very big with everything you need in a room and the bed was super comfortable.

By this time we were a bit hungry and tired. We walked up to the Tilikum Place area which was only 5 minutes and found the 5 Point Café. This is an old diner since 1929 and full of character but we were too tired to do it justice. We had a couple of beers and a cup of chilli each and then went back to the hotel. I was excited to see a Wallgreens only 2 minutes from the hotel too – just love a Wallgreens.

In bed by 9.30pm. I was looking forward to waking up and looking out of the window knowing we had our whole trip in front of us. That’s a real holiday ‘thing’ for me to do!

Index http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=966569

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023

Edited at 04:40 PM.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 16, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Dimple
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Sounds like a good travel day, I love that window view! Interested to read along I would like to go to Seattle so time. Love that feeling of having the whole holiday ahead of you
Dimple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 16, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

Great travel day!

I'm really looking forward to reading this as I'd love to do this trip one day
Old 5 Jul 16, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Great start to the trip. That picture from the plane is beautiful. Funny you should mentioned about the monorail doors and I believe the Seattle monorail and the Disney monorail were built by the same person.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 16, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Love flying into Seattle. If the weather is good you always get a great view of Mount Ranier. Haven't ridden the monorail for a few years but yes it's great that they still operate after all these years. (Remember the Frasier episode when he and Niles get trapped on it on Frasier Crane Day?)
Love Seattle as a city - so much to see and do and tremendous countryside.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 16, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Yes we thought Seattle was wonderful - so much to see and do both within the city and further afield. Would love to go back again to explore further north too.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 17, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Fantastic start - I can't get over that amazing view!
Old 5 Feb 17, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Fantastic start - I can't get over that amazing view!
The view was from sitting on the left side of the plane

Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
Old 5 Feb 17, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by anji View Post
The view was from sitting on the left side of the plane
Oh! Oh! We are in the left (or the right, if you are in the cockpit looking into the plane)
Old 25 Jun 17, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Revisiting this - can't believe it's a whole year ago. Would love to do it all over again

Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022