Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 29 Jan 17, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I have a mid-size which is usually a Toyota Corolla. I can fit 2 large suitcases (each 26 inches in length) in the boot but not my cabin bag although that's a small wheelie rather than a squashy backpack.

I think you could get one passenger and a large suitcase on the back seat and maybe a couple of cabin bags max, with a bit of careful arranging.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 17, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
alibabaxx
Very Serious Dibber

We've always gone for 'intermediate' for 2 adults 2 children and usually 2 large suitcases and 2 large holdalls plus hand luggage. The good thing with Alamo is that they let you choose so we always look for the biggest car in that range.

What confuses me how they advertise them as 'standard' some advertise as 'midsize' and some advertise as 'intermediate' with very similar bag sizes/persons for very similar prices. Which car is the largest?

2012 POR FQ Disneymoon
2013 OKW Disneymoon Pt2
2015 AKL and Cruise
2017 AKL, POP and Cruise
alibabaxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 17, 04:53 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by alibabaxx View Post
We've always gone for 'intermediate' for 2 adults 2 children and usually 2 large suitcases and 2 large holdalls plus hand luggage. The good thing with Alamo is that they let you choose so we always look for the biggest car in that range.

What confuses me how they advertise them as 'standard' some advertise as 'midsize' and some advertise as 'intermediate' with very similar bag sizes/persons for very similar prices. Which car is the largest?
Of those 3, standard is the largest. We had a standard in LA, as it was cheaper than intermediate (which we'd had previously in Orlando), and it was much more spacious. If the price difference was negligible, I'd go for a standard.
Old 1 Feb 17, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
alibabaxx
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
Of those 3, standard is the largest. We had a standard in LA, as it was cheaper than intermediate (which we'd had previously in Orlando), and it was much more spacious. If the price difference was negligible, I'd go for a standard.
Will do then as there is nothing in the prices, or do you think they may all be the same size but you had a bigger choice of car in LA?

2012 POR FQ Disneymoon
2013 OKW Disneymoon Pt2
2015 AKL and Cruise
2017 AKL, POP and Cruise
alibabaxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 17, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by alibabaxx View Post
Will do then as there is nothing in the prices, or do you think they may all be the same size but you had a bigger choice of car in LA?
No, I don't think so, the midsize/intermediate (which are the same thing) are smaller than the standard. E.g. in the midsize/intermediate you can get a Hyundai Tucson, but in the standard it would be a Hyundai Santa Fe, or in the midsize/intermediate you can get a Ford Escape (Kuga to us), but in the standard it would be a Ford Edge.
Old 2 Feb 17, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DebsMK
Very Serious Dibber

We always go for a full size SUV (7 seater) for 4 adults and in the trunk we fit 5 medium cases and a couple of pieces of hand luggage.

Back soon!
DebsMK is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 17, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsmagoo
Imagineer

We had the "your luggage wont fit in the car" at the rental desk before and we took our chances. It did fit but the kids and i were a tad squished on the way to the accommodation. Last time we went there was a very helpful guy in the rental garage who was very good at Tetris and managed to get all our luggage in the boot. It was 3 suitcases, 4 carry ons and a pushchair! This was a mid sized suv. We have gone for a mid sized SUV this time but we no longer need a pushchair
mrsmagoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 17, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Logan
Imagineer

Hi folks, as the OP thought I should come back to you with my thoughts, though I haven't booked anything yet.

Firstly, I'm not really looking at anyone else other than Alamo Brits. Used them on all our previous trips and have found their service exceptional, plus we need the extra driver.

Staying at Disney for first 9 nights, so not really concerned about having a car. We aim to make maximum use of Disney transport, including boat to DS, since we're staying at POFQ. If we do need to go elsewhere that first week, say a shopping centre , we'll just use Uber. Plus we'll also avail of the Magical Express in from the airport.

The day before we check out I plan to rent from the Disney Car Care Centre, returning to the airport.

Now for those final 9 days, when we'll be staying in the LBV area, I'm getting quotes as follows (rounded);

Standard, Buick Verano or similar: £234
Fullsize, Nissan alumna or similar: £239
Midsize suv, Nissan Rogue or similar: £254
Standard suv, Hyundai Santa fee: £263
Premium, Nissan Maxima: £299
7 seat minivan, Dodge Caravan: £320

We had the Dodge Caravan last time, when there were 6 of us adults and it was amazing, but probably don't need something as big this time. We're 4 adults, each with a checked in case and probably a small carry on bag type each, ie small rucksack, handbag,etc. What's your thoughts on a suitable category dibbers?

Thanks
Logan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 17, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
alibabaxx
Very Serious Dibber

We are looking at a vehicle for 2 adults 2 children, we will only need the space for luggage at the end of the holiday (getting ME from airport to hotel) therefore we can usually cram everything into an intermediate/standard. We may look at a normal SUV but your prices seem dearer for that so I would stick with the standard.

2012 POR FQ Disneymoon
2013 OKW Disneymoon Pt2
2015 AKL and Cruise
2017 AKL, POP and Cruise
Old 6 Feb 17, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I'd get a standard SUV - for £9 the extra space over a mid-size will be worth it.