Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 Feb 17, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ashc13
Serious Dibber

Mobile Japan with young kids

Hi

I enjoy reading the planning threads and trip reports about Japan

Was checking flight prices, tickets and hotels for Orlando and its working out expensive. Universal is our favourite. We've been a few times before we had kids.

Anyway just wondering has anyone done Universal in Osaka and Disney in Tokyo? I appreciate Japan has a lot more to offer than theme parks (but would love to visit Osaka to visit Universal).

Any tips and advice appreciated

Thanks
ashc13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post

They still have the Jaws ride at Osaka Universal. (Not that we have been.) We did do Tokyo Disneyland though:

http://DIBB.in/8969983
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ashc13
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Enjoyed the jaws ride in Orlando the first time we went!
ashc13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Have a look at trip reports there are a few now
I read geoffa s one and the one by soarin fan
There is mine too from October
There is so much to learn but very fascinating
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Mobile

I really want to go to Japan but after much deliberation I'm putting it off as I don't think my children will get that much out of it. Others may disagree but I just didn't feel right about it.
My DH is probably going to be going to Tokyo later this year with work for a week or so, so I'm going to see if I can manage a child free week (it'll be a miracle if I manage), so I can go out at the end of his work stay and spend a small amount of time there. I think it's the only way we'll get there in the next 8-10 years or so!
Like you, I did price up and found it expensive and I just couldn't justify that expense for all 4 of us if I didn't think the children would have a great time too.
I'd be interested to see how you get on if you do go. How old are your children?
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

We've looked at it many times and found the hotel prices unaffordable as very few rooms slept four!
Old 12 Feb 17, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
pegal
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We went to disneyland when we were based in tokyo and it was great fun 😊 osaka we weren't so keen on to be honest. We easily filled 8 days in tokyo, including a trip to mt fuji. Would the kids also like the ghibli museum? If you make sure you book tickets as soon as you can because it sells out ages in advance!

Kyoto, nara and hiroshima were all definitely worth a visit too, although I don't know if you're basing yourself in one place.
Old 14 Feb 17, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
I wouldn't have any issues taking kids to either (although I don't have any I should add :P )

I think it will depend on what you're used to as well. We went out of season and the crowds weren't manic, but I'm not sure if I'd love it the same when busy.

Universal in Osaka we gave a miss purely as we'd heard the crowds were pretty unmanageable even out of season and unlike Signapore Universal we didn't feel there was enough difference to warrant a visit and queues, purely our thought process based on research though, I can't comment on experience

If your kids are fine with queuing though I say go!

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Mango76
Apprentice Imagineer

We are hoping to go in a couple of years. loose plan at the moment will see us based in Tokyo with 4 days at Disney (may split this 2 early in the trip and 2 at the end), we also want to do Mount Fuji and the bullet train and really just absorb the differences. We are hoping to also see a rugby match if we can align our trip with the RWC. Kids will be 9.5 and 11 when we are thinking of going. Not sure about hotels yet as would like to do one night in a traditional japanese hotel but will probably aim for Sheraton or similar for the remainder of the trip, possibly Disney hotel depending on cost.

It feels like a big research project but I really want to do it. Keen to take a break from Orlando for a few years as want Avatar to have calmed down a bit and hopefully Star Wars to be complete and open before we go again as we have been a few times in quick succession and want to try something completely different whilst also getting our Disney fix (hence looking at Japan).
Jul 2020(Thomas Cook), Jul 2020 (Covid19!)
Oct 2021 - fingers crossed!
Mango76 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List