Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Feb 17, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
We have done the tour of Queen Mary - fascinating. We have also stayed on board overnight. Did you know that at one time it was briefly owned by Disney who were planning to open a park in the area? (The plans eventually became Tokyo DisneySea).
No I didn't .

I was a bit shocked at how rundown the outside looked I think i was expecting more glamour, Never the less I am still glad we've seen it.

My eldest would enjoy the tour I think she's very much into History. I did consider taking her this year because she would also enjoy the Princess Diana exhibition but its closed until April.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 17, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
penguin19
Imagineer

penguin19's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

If long beach is an option for you, go whale watching. This is where we went blue whale watching. Such an amazing experience.

Not sure what whales are in season so to speak, but they have lots visit the shores!

DCL - 19,21,21,22,23,23
penguin19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 17, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
No I didn't .

I was a bit shocked at how rundown the outside looked I think i was expecting more glamour, Never the less I am still glad we've seen it.

My eldest would enjoy the tour I think she's very much into History. I did consider taking her this year because she would also enjoy the Princess Diana exhibition but its closed until April.
I do agree about teh outside appearance but it must cost an absolute fortune to maintain it. Don't do the Ghost tour - complete waste of time. Just tour the ship itself. So art deco. In the rooms in the old days they originally had a choice of cool air from the sea or hot air from the engine room. In the bathroom it was hot water, cold water or sea water in the shower, The phones and fittings were bakelite !

The ship is now owned by the city of Long Beach.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I'd drive out to Vegas and stay somewhere like Henderson or Red Rock.
Staying in LA I'd either spend the day in Santa Monica or do the houses of the stars tour ... or have an extra night in Anaheim as a pool day.

I'm not an LA fan though.
We weren't too keen on what we saw of LA last time but I feel that the beaches might be worth a bit more of our time. We did love Red Rock but all the hotels nr Vegas are really pricey because its a Friday nigh

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
We went and had a wander around the Queen Mary but didn't do the actual tour, then we drove around and went to the beach.

There's a big Aquarium there that is supposed to be really good.

We saw lots of restaurants, places like Hooters.
Lovely stuff. It does sound ideal really. maybe the morning there & then a drive up or down the coast! I seem to want to see everything but can't settle on where to stay!

Originally Posted by The Hulk View Post
Got to be six flags! Awesome rides,less than 30 mins drive from La 😁
Or head to Vegas early as suggested and stay just off strip for one night. Check out Tuscany suites 😉
Thanks for the tip, theme parks are out for the day though as we want something a bit more relaxing. I will have a look at the Tuscany Suites for Vegas though, see what the pricing is like on a Friday night.

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
How about a boat trip to Catalina Island? My sister had a lovely day there and the photos looked great.

Or Griffith Observatory? I guess it'll be busy as it was in La La Land but it's on my plan, hopefully there will be some nice views of the Hollywood sign and the city from up there
Thanks for the tips, off to Google both options!

Originally Posted by Jack Daniel's View Post
Six flags is great especially if you like your roller coasters! There are many.

I think I did them all, wife on the hand after four in a row spent the rest of the day bench hopping and looking and feeling green!
Ooh I do love a good roller coaster but not this trip unfortunately maybe next time!

Originally Posted by kateb78 View Post
We're deciding between Newport, Huntington or Laguna beach when we go - it'll probably be Laguna. We haven't got a full day but there's plenty to do by the looks of it.
Off to look at all these options! Newport reminds me of the OC God I loved that program!

Originally Posted by penguin19 View Post
If long beach is an option for you, go whale watching. This is where we went blue whale watching. Such an amazing experience.

Not sure what whales are in season so to speak, but they have lots visit the shores!
Ooh I do love a good whale watching trip! I will have to check out the time of year though and how likely spottings are!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
penguin19
Imagineer

penguin19's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We went with Harbour Breeze cruises who were amazing. They have sighting guides on their website which list last years dates and what they saw. March/ April time doesnt see many blue but a lot of grey and fin whales

DCL - 19,21,21,22,23,23
penguin19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

You could stay downtown in Vegas, we are staying at El Cortez for three nights and it's very reasonable. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but we really enjoyed Fremont street on a Friday night.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
jojj
Disney Mad Scrapbooker!

I was in LA last week, I only had 2 full days. One of our days we got up really early to go to Santa Monica pier for sunrise. we arrived at 7am, it was so quiet but amazing! there is a bike shop nearby so we hired bikes and rode an hour along the coast past venice beach etc then back again. it was beautiful!

there is so much to do!

WDW -97, 05, 06, 2009/2010, 2011
DLC - 1998
DLP -17 Times
jojj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List