Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 17 Feb 17, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MischiefManaged View Post
Aw, thank you for all your tips! If we go, definitely going to look at your suggestions! sounds fabulous - did you need a car in Vancouver?
We had a car but only used it to get from the airport, and on the final day when we went to a museum out of town. The rest of the time in Vancouver we walked or got the hop on/off buses. Also hired cycles to go round Stanley Park - great fun. Feel free to pm me if I can help with anything .

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 17, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
MischiefManaged
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

MischiefManaged's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Aw, thank you so much, that's a relief! Really couldn't express how grateful I am for everybody responding..
So regarding Banff, Do I need a car to be able to see the Rockies?
Like is a car a necessity...

Thanks again
Old 17 Feb 17, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Aw, thank you so much, that's a relief! Really couldn't express how grateful I am for everybody responding..
So regarding Banff, Do I need a car to be able to see the Rockies?
Like is a car a necessity...

Thanks again
I think realistically to visit multiple places in Western Canada, a car is going to make life easier - I'm not saying its essential, but it would save quite a lot of faffing around.

Also, you're saying you absolutely must see the Rockies - if you're using a transfer/bus/train, how would you feel about passing somewhere you'd love to stop to take in the view, and you can't?!
Old 17 Feb 17, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

I think you are worrying yourself unnecessarily about the driving, it's really on the other side made easier with the car being automatic. I have been driving on the other side in different countries since I was 18 and love it both in hire and own car although it's much easier in hire car because of the steering being on the correct side. Why not add a further post re car hire for under 25's.
Old 18 Feb 17, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
MischiefManaged

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
I think realistically to visit multiple places in Western Canada, a car is going to make life easier - I'm not saying its essential, but it would save quite a lot of faffing around.

Also, you're saying you absolutely must see the Rockies - if you're using a transfer/bus/train, how would you feel about passing somewhere you'd love to stop to take in the view, and you can't?!
That's what I am saying, I was under the assumption I could walk from Banff, so to actually see the Rockies I would need a car?

I don't want to just drive past by any means... that's why I am asking for advice...
Old 18 Feb 17, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MischiefManaged

Originally Posted by Myakka Lodge View Post
I think you are worrying yourself unnecessarily about the driving, it's really on the other side made easier with the car being automatic. I have been driving on the other side in different countries since I was 18 and love it both in hire and own car although it's much easier in hire car because of the steering being on the correct side. Why not add a further post re car hire for under 25's.
Aw, Thank you! I think I will have to haha - so complicated... I am worrying myself to be fair, I am quite an anxious person, but OH should be able to drive there I think... just obviously I think driving is a pain in the bum so I'd rather not do it hahaha!
Old 18 Feb 17, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We drove in Banff in winter without any issues at all. But I echo that to do the whole area justice you need a car. Banff town is nice enough but the wow factor is being able to explore the surrounding areas. 20 years on I still have vivid memories of cycling round Lake Minniwanka!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
MischiefManaged

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
We drove in Banff in winter without any issues at all. But I echo that to do the whole area justice you need a car. Banff town is nice enough but the wow factor is being able to explore the surrounding areas. 20 years on I still have vivid memories of cycling round Lake Minniwanka!
ah, I appreciate that! we have had a little chat and we think we are going to go for the car in Banff! I seriously need to start getting some exercise in for the active days already haha! I am seriously unfit ever since I came back from Florida in September

and i seen you once said to me in the past you would be happily spend a week in Banff because you dont like changing hotels too much... What type of things did you do there, including with a car now we haave changed our minds, eventually haha! But i suppose thats why we ask for advice and help

Edited at 09:49 PM.
MischiefManaged is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

ah, I appreciate that! we have had a little chat and we think we are going to go for the car in Banff! I seriously need to start getting some exercise in for the active days already haha! I am seriously unfit ever since I came back from Florida in September

and i seen you once said to me in the past you would be happily spend a week in Banff because you dont like changing hotels too much... What type of things did you do there, including with a car now we haave changed our minds, eventually haha! But i suppose thats why we ask for advice and help
We have only ever been to Banff in winter so skiied most days!

We cycled round the Lake as I said which was fabulous. We also visited Lake Louise - and had afternoon tea overlooking the frozen lake! We also went to the Sulphur Pools which was a great way to relax our weary limbs.

It was 20 years ago - so my memory is fading but I think in summer there are lots more activities. Now we would go hiking and try to get off the beaten track. From people who have been in summer it seems the Glacial Icepark drive is a must but I don't know how long that is - someone will help you there!

Have fun planning!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
MischiefManaged

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
We have only ever been to Banff in winter so skiied most days!

We cycled round the Lake as I said which was fabulous. We also visited Lake Louise - and had afternoon tea overlooking the frozen lake! We also went to the Sulphur Pools which was a great way to relax our weary limbs.

It was 20 years ago - so my memory is fading but I think in summer there are lots more activities. Now we would go hiking and try to get off the beaten track. From people who have been in summer it seems the Glacial Icepark drive is a must but I don't know how long that is - someone will help you there!

Have fun planning!
That sound amazing! Ah, I can't wait to plan properly and start sorting... I have seen the sulphur pools - look fabulous...

Thank you