Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 Feb 17, 05:20 AM  
Link to this Post
richthe4th
Earning My Ears

My best advice would be not to rush when you pick up the car. Take 10-15 minutes to sit in it, make yourself familiar with where the signals, buttons, wipers etc are and get yourself comfortable and then just have a few laps around the parking garage. (The first time I drove over there I wanted to be off and away and ended up panicking where the indicators, wipers etc were so now always take a few minutes to double check first!)

Trust me after half hour you will be fine! The only issue I have is remembering to turn right on red (when you can!)
richthe4th is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 17, 06:05 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Lots of good advice here. It is completely natural for you to be a bit nervous because it's the unknown.

In addition to what has been suggested above try having a look on YouTube because there are some videos on there that people have recorded whilst driving on the roads in the Orlando area

I think my additional tip would be to try and select a flight where you will start your driving in daylight as you may find that easier

Good luck
Old 7 Feb 17, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
johnmcmaster
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I'd also suggest investing in a sat nav or a sat nav app for your phone to avoid the stress of having to read a map when tired, dealing with kids etc. Get one with Lane/junction displays to allow you to get into the right Lane at the junctions or off ramps.
johnmcmaster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 17, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Longsider
a Friend of the DIBB

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cloggy37 View Post
Hi

We have never hired a car when we have been to Florida previously but keep thinking about it more now we have our daughter.

My husband and I have never driven outside of the UK before and though Id imagine after a while it will seem second nature we are both really nervous about trying it.

Just wondered if there were any companies out in Orlando that will take you out on the road for an hour or so just so you can get use to the roads/rules etc.
It'll be our first time driving in Florida when we got this October. We are exactly the same a bit nervous and excited to try it. However after watching some vids on you tube and speaking to others etc I'm much more relaxed about it now.

I've also booked next day car hire with Florida transport. You get picked up from the airport and taken to your villa via a supermarket stop to pick up some essentials. Then the next morning when your rested, they come and take you to pick your car up!
Longsider is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 17, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

If you decide to take a car from the airport, don't worry about being tired. As you move out onto the roads you will naturally be a bit apprehensive and the adrenaline will kick in and you will end up being really alert. An energy drink works a treat tonight!
One further thing.
Hire as big a car as you reckon you will feel comfortable with even tho you may only need a small economy. You will feel far more at home driving a larger car, as all around tend to be slightly bigger than the UK. An SUV with its higher seating also gives you a better view of the road ahead. Intermediate or standard size would be fine for up to driver and 3 pax.

Mrs PPM won't drive the motorways around Glasgow, but is more than happy driving the I4 in FL, she loves driving there so much we have a fight every morning for the keys
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 17, 03:21 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Mrs PPM won't drive the motorways around Glasgow, but is more than happy driving the I4 in FL, she loves driving there so much we have a fight every morning for the keys
For crying out loud PPM, give your lass the keys, remember that statement if you want to drive, 'keep death off the road'... sheesh!

ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 17, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
For crying out loud PPM, give your lass the keys, remember that statement if you want to drive, 'keep death off the road'... sheesh!

Hey Chris
We shall see how she gets on with the Silverado I hope to get in May
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 17, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post

Morning bonny lass. Hope the sun's still shining?

I posted on another thread yesterday that after 30+ trips of hiring and driving maybe approaching 30,000 miles Joan has never driven over there. Her choice by the way not my Yorkshire male chauvinism

I did however go into my Alamo booking yesterday and added Joan just in case

Gadgey Mick
Old 8 Feb 17, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post

My youngest son 28 will be driving for the first time in December..he's a very confident driver here and has been driving since he was17,has driven in Greece,but he is already very worried about driving from the airport to Highgate...Mick,I shall be picking your brains!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 17, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
My youngest son 28 will be driving for the first time in December..he's a very confident driver here and has been driving since he was17,has driven in Greece,but he is already very worried about driving from the airport to Highgate...Mick,I shall be picking your brains!
Linda

I've seen a lot of posts from Sandra saying that she provides details of short cuts from HP to other areas and I'm sure that she'll give you good advice on getting there from MCO but, for what it's worth after driving to that area on about 20 or more holidays this is the route I'd take. You say it's his first time driving so I'll avoid the I-4 after a tiring 9 hour flight.

First of all take the 417 south exit from MCO and you will go through a couple of tolls like this. Not getting into the complicated "Sunpass or not" debate at present but if you choose to pay cash just keep right and ask for change.

Leave the 417 at j2 for Celebration Avenue

where you will need change here.

Turn right after the toll and pick up 192 west after about a mile. After about 7/8 miles you will pass Rolling Oaks area where there's loads of restaurants and a Super Target.

Stay on the 192 for a couple of miles and take the US27 south.

After a couple of miles there will be lights. Left into Florence Villa Grove Road and right into Legacy Park. Turn right and HP is last community on the left

More about short cuts and local restaurants if you need them later

Mick