Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 11 Feb 17, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

The Grand Tour...Day 4 Goodbye San Francisco, Hello Yosemite!

We were up, wide awake and raring to go at 6am…well two of us were! We all showered, finished packing, had breakfast and had checked out by 7.45, not bad going! We took the short walk up to Dollar at The Sheraton to collect the car. Whilst the boys sorted that, myself and DD popped across to Seven Eleven for snacks and drinks. We were on our way by 8.15, the car we received was a Nissan Rogue, similar to a Qashqai. The boot just about fitted in 3 large cases and it even came with a parcel shelf which was brilliant.

We were on our way to Yosemite, Yippee! As we headed out we drove over the San Francisco Bay Bridge which was amazing! I know everyone talks about the Golden Gate Bridge but this bridge is spectacular especially at night when it’s all lit up!

The boys love their outdoor sports so I promised them we would visit a Bass Pro shop on our way, fortunately one was quite near a Target which we wanted to call into, to stock up on foods in a town called Manteca.

It was quite handy as we never got to experience ‘In and Out’ burger in San Francisco and there was one round the corner from Target so guess what we had for lunch… It was so good, we had a cheeseburger each and fries to share, I think it was around $30, little bit cheaper than last night’s meal!

We arrived in Yosemite National Park around 2.30pm, again we used our NPS pass and avoided another $30 entrance fee so we felt we were certainly getting our moneys worth out of this pass.

We were so in awe of the natural beauty we really didn’t know what to do first. I had read about a tunnel you drive through to get great views so we found that which was completely out of this world and DS shed a tear or two at this point. (To view our video have a look at our Instagram account @grandtourers16)
We saw El Capitan and Half Dome from Tunnel View. We hung around there for a bit to snap some pics before heading back down to Bridalviel Falls.

We parked up and used the facilities, DH and DS walked up to the falls as we were worried about leaving a full car load. DD and I wandered about taking in the sheer elegance of the vicinity, the trees were gigantic, so tall! When the boys returned they were very hot so cooled off with a drink, they said the falls only had a trickle of water but were pleased they had climbed up to witness its splendour. We had bought these things called moon pies in the Bass Pro shop so we tried them, I thought they were gross, very dry but the others liked them.

From here we headed to Half Dome Village, previously known as Curry Village. We had booked here almost a year ago to the date we arrived as we knew we wanted to ‘camp’ but were aware of how quickly it got booked up. We parked up and I have to say it was the most beautiful car park I have ever parked in!

There were deer roaming around with an exquisite mountain view. We quickly checked in and unloaded the car to move into our home for the next two nights, can I just add here that it was 105 degrees! The accommodation was obviously very basic but much nicer than I expected, it was also very cool as luckily it was shaded where we were based. The scenery here was still amazing and what was even better is that there was no signal on the phones so DD and DS appreciated it too.

We had a wander around to get our bearings, found the bar so of course toasted our save arrival and the start of another adventure! It was around $15 for 2 beers and 2 soft drinks, quite reasonable I thought.

On our way we had stopped at Target and stocked up on bottles of water, snacks and breakfast items but honestly we needn’t have bothered as we found the shops fully stocked and reasonably priced. DS was desperate to swim in the Merced River so whilst the sun was still shining we headed there, he got his swim and we dipped our toes with the sun setting in the background. Simply stunning.

On our way back we decided to grab a pizza, $18 for a large base then you pay extra for the toppings so we chose bacon, onion, banana peppers and olives, it was one of the best pizzas I have ever had. Being a good girl I also had a side salad, with drinks it all came to $35.

We thought we’d try out the showers before settling in for the night, all I will say is that they were okay…glad I had flip flops! We then sat by our tent and shared a couple of beers which were left over from San Francisco, I had bought some ice earlier so they were nice and cool.

We played a few games of chase the ace and gin rummy whilst waiting for the stars to appear whilst munching on Oreos...!

It seems as though I was rather worn out today and fell asleep before the stars were on show… DH and DD saw them and couldn’t wait to tell me about it the next morning!

Steps Walked; 12,670

Floors climbed; 19

*Tip of the Day…Take time to observe your surroundings*
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
andreab
Excited about Disney

andreab's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
So wonderful wasn't it x
3 other visits, staying twice on 192 and once on site in Dixie Landings
andreab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Looks perfect!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Your report is bringing back lots of great memories from our trip. Yosemite was just beautiful and that wonderful smell of pine trees.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by andreab View Post
So wonderful wasn't it x
Hey! How are you? It was so wonderful. I'm loving writing this trip report as its bringing it all back to me. Such wonderful memories made...
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Disney Wishing View Post
Your report is bringing back lots of great memories from our trip. Yosemite was just beautiful and that wonderful smell of pine trees.
Absolutely! Its just something else...one of my favourite places ever!
Old 11 Feb 17, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Your trippie has got me even more excited for our stay in Yosemite. It looks stunningly beautiful.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Love your report and photos for today. Especially interested as we have booked Half Dome Village as well. We have got a timber cabin. Hopefully I'll manage to stay awake for the stars. Pizza meal etc looks good value.
Old 12 Feb 17, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Fantastic report can't wait for the next instalment.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 17, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
tartan tink
Apprentice Imagineer

tartan tink's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another brilliant day looking forward to our stay at Yosemite

courtyard by marriott, marriott suites clearwater,rpr july 07 westridge villa,rpr, july08 cypress point,rpr, aug 09 tuscana resort july 10:spin hard rock hotel July 10 watersong villa, rpr Jan 2012, sandy ridge villa June 2016
tartan tink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List