Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 Feb 17, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Cunard's Queen Victoria

I'm looking at the possibility of doing a fjord cruise next year, wondering if anyone had cruised on the Queen Victoria?
sully301 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 17, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

I have twice. A while ago now. We liked it. Lovely service.
Old 12 Feb 17, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes, lovely ship. The only downside is that everything is priced in dollars and there's (I think 15%) added to all drinks as service charge. P&o are priced in £ and drinks are really reasonable
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 17, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Originally Posted by meboo View Post
Yes, lovely ship. The only downside is that everything is priced in dollars and there's (I think 15%) added to all drinks as service charge. P&o are priced in £ and drinks are really reasonable
i hadn't thought about the impact of the £ - $ rate... it's got to improve by next year surely!

I've read some reports that the cabins are a bit bland and outdated...
sully301 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 17, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We had a cruise booked on one of the Cunard ships, cannot remember which one, and then we cancelled and were prepared to lose the deposit when we realised that evening dinner is quite a dressed-up affair, even when not formal night. Pity!

Our next door neighbours, 40 somethings I guess, went late last year and said they found the atmosphere "rather stuffy".
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 17, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

The cabins were done in creams, golds and navy accents when we went and they looked rich and inviting. It was a while ago, but I very much doubt Cunard have let it go to tatty. Some people will complain about anything.

I think we only ever had cheapest internal rooms too.
Old 12 Feb 17, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Re the dress code, about half the nights are smart casual..people interpret the dress codes differently, so some ladies would wear a full on ball gown for a semi formal night, some a cocktail length dress and and other just a maxi dress and flip-flops or trousers and a shirt.

I am inclined to agree with the 'stuffy' atmosphere comment. It attracts an older crowd. Some children. But not a party boat.
Old 12 Feb 17, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Last time we went we had kids of 11,9,4&2. We're doing Greek isles on Victoria this year and I'm still happy to take them at 16, 14, 9 & 7.

I think it's probably more 'formal' than RCI, but as I've never done that I couldn't comment. I have done P&O and Disney and I think you can easily interchange between these brands
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 17, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

we sailed over C'mas a few years ago and really enjoyed it (far better than Queen Mary!) We're a couple in 40's no kids and enjoy dressing up for dinner so liked that side of things. The food and service were really good.

We've sailed Cunard x2, P&O x3, DCL x5, RC x2, Celeb x2, Princess x1, Star Clippers and Fred Olsen x1 and would haply sail on any again EXCEPT Fred!
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 17, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

thanks for all the feedback! I've done Princess and Disney before too, i don't mind dressing up for dinner and we're not party animals - we're looking for some pampering, good food and relaxation. It sounds as if it's going to be worth the chance. Some good deals on at the moment