Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 14 Feb 17, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
KK_Cat
VIP Dibber

KK_Cat's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
It makes you think doesnt it, I really want to go to New York but for the price maybe we should just head to Florida for two weeks..
This is exactly why I'm heading on my 12th trip to Orlando but have only been to New York City and Washington DC once. Every so often I do the sums and then decide that I'd rather 2 weeks in Florida to 4 days in NYC.
Next trip: Nov 2023
KK_Cat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Jenfie80
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I got back in November gone, in total it cost me around £3,200 including spending money for 5 nights! That was just me x
Jenfie80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
It makes you think doesnt it, I really want to go to New York but for the price maybe we should just head to Florida for two weeks. I actually wanted to do a few nights in New York and the head to Florida but not sure thats realstic.
5 nights accommodation in NY can easily cost more than 2 weeks in the Rosen at Pointe Orlando
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

We are going end of June this year and staying 4 nights in NYC. We paid £380 each for flights with Thomas Cook direct from Manchester to JFK. But we booked flights virtually when they were released. We have paid around £750 for 4 nights in a nice 4* hotel on the corner of Central Park and 5th Ave for 3 of us through bookings.com. we could have got cheaper hotels but choose a mid priced one in the location we preferred. We are staying for 4th July which I feel may be a little more expensive but I think the costs were reasonable for NYC
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
PlutoFan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by PlutoFan View Post
I booked last night for 2 of us for 5 nights near the end of September, 4 star hotel in Midtown East (2 streets down from ESB and between 5th Avenue and Madison), so hopefully close to lots of sights.

I paid £2100, and DH has bought the NY Pass which gives access to about 80 attractions - it was just under £400 for two of them, including $25 postage but should mean we only need to worry about money for food - and shopping as well of course
Forgot to add, we'll probably get the 7 day Metro pass at $29 which gives access to the subway and the buses.

Oct 1993 Grovesnor Resort
Aug 1994 Kissimee Villa / Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa
Oct 1996 Half Moon Beach Club, Sarasota / Buena Vista Palace
Sept. 2002 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2003 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2006 Hotel Cheyenne DLP
Oct / Nov 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge
August 2010 Old Key West / Royal Pacific Resort
August 2013 Hard Rock Hotel / Old Key West Trip Report
August 2016 Hard Rock Hotel / Saratoga Springs Trip Report - Complete!
September 2017 New York Pre-Trip
PlutoFan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I can get a villa for two weeks for £1,000 and flights for £400 each to florida, maybe we wont go and just save it till All the kids are grown and me and dh can go on our own. But I do want to go, I went as a child and cant remember much at all. Got to have a think about this one.
Old 15 Feb 17, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Mortimer Mouse
Imagineer

Mortimer Mouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We found it cost effective to add a few days in NY to the start of our Florida trip, as it cost around to same to fly lon-nyc, orl-lon, as it did to fly to and from Orlando. Then we added internal flights from nye-orl for 82 pounds each.

My teens loved New York. It was a great way to see another city, without having to do a long flight just for it. We're planning on doing it again for Washington dc, at the beginning of our next Florida trip.
Mortimer Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
We are going to NYC and orlando this summer. See my countdown

I didn't think it would be possible as every time I checked the prices were around £5500, for 2 adults, DS 12 and DD 10 for flights and accommodation only. Given that we'd paid £6500 for flights, cbr, qsdp and tickets for wdw I wasn't prepared to pay that much knowing we'd need tickets and food on top.

Then in September 2016 I was on the BA website during their sales and snagged what I think is a bargain. We have paid £2831.40 for the 4 of us, flights and accommodation. I nearly had heart failure when I saw that price.

If you're interested in the details we're flying from LHR on an American Airlines code share with BA to JFK on Sunday 23rd July, staying at the sheraton hotel times square for 4 nights. Then flying from JFK to MCO again with AA on Thursday 27th July and we have 10 nights at the Rosen Inn International. We fly home from mco to LHR, this is an indirect flight though via Miami.

I'm not meaning to sound like I'm gloating! Honest just it is possible to find a good price sometimes, so good luck with your plans.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
We are going to NYC and orlando this summer. See my countdown

I didn't think it would be possible as every time I checked the prices were around £5500, for 2 adults, DS 12 and DD 10 for flights and accommodation only. Given that we'd paid £6500 for flights, cbr, qsdp and tickets for wdw I wasn't prepared to pay that much knowing we'd need tickets and food on top.

Then in September 2016 I was on the BA website during their sales and snagged what I think is a bargain. We have paid £2831.40 for the 4 of us, flights and accommodation. I nearly had heart failure when I saw that price.

If you're interested in the details we're flying from LHR on an American Airlines code share with BA to JFK on Sunday 23rd July, staying at the sheraton hotel times square for 4 nights. Then flying from JFK to MCO again with AA on Thursday 27th July and we have 10 nights at the Rosen Inn International. We fly home from mco to LHR, this is an indirect flight though via Miami.

I'm not meaning to sound like I'm gloating! Honest just it is possible to find a good price sometimes, so good luck with your plans.
You gloat away! I got flights for £320 indirect last year and came back via JFK which got me thinking. You got a fab deal, I think I will be on the look out for maybe 2 of 3 nights before Florida. Going for a few nights is better than not going at all!
Old 18 Feb 17, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneyfans
Very Serious Dibber

We got back from NYC last weekend. Yes admittedly it's February but we got a real bargain.
I booked via Expedia and paid £1300 total for 2 of us for a week. That included
Norwegian flights on the Dreamliner direct from Gatwick to JFK 2 x 23 kg bags each plus 10 kg carry on meals and prebooked seats (got extra leg room both ways).
Stayed at the Tryp by Wyndham near Times Square in a deluxe king room on the top floor. Great hotel. Very modern.
We paid for 7 attraction explorer pass the one world plus ticket (included bus tour for 48 hours and 9/11 tribute centre) and Statue of Liberty crown access tickets cost less than £500 for that for both of us. We then took $2000 spending money and came home with over $500 and I shopped in Tiffany, Kate Spade, Ugg, Skechers, pandora and of course the Disney store as well as bringing gifts back for the children.
My advice is take a travel kettle. We also took some cereal with us (OH is diabetic) so we could eat quickly sometimes in our room and then be on the go straight away. We also took some small snacks with us (useful if your feeling peckish especially on bus tours).
New York can be expensive if you eat in the chain restaurants and in Times Square. A few blocks away are fab restaurants at great prices

Edited at 12:38 AM.
Disneyfans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List