Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Mar 07, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
nixieh
Imagineer

Hi Mazzy,

I was really worried about being seasick too as I get very travel sick in all sorts of situations and my eldest DD does too. I took loads of different remedies that people had recommended but ended up not needing any of them. The ship is so big and so smooth that we didn't feel any movement and certainly not any bobbing around, none of us felt sick at all, maybe we were lucky with very calm seas but I was really relieved, it was nothing like crossing the channel on a ferry or a small bumpy boat and definitely nothing like travelling in a car or coach!

The only disconcerting thing is that when we were off the ship we felt like the floor was moving for days. I remember walking along the corridor at AKL feeling as if the whole corridor was swaying slightly...

Nicola

2006 4 night DCL and AKL, 2007 Poly and DCL, 2008 Beach Club and Villa,2009 Christmas, 2011 Poly and Beach Club Concierge
nixieh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 07, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
NatalieD
slightly serious Dibber

Mazzy
my 2 are 13 & 11 - I know this sounds really selfish but I was so desperate to do a Disney Cruise and when we got it for such a good price (£750 for the 4 of us 3 nights) that I made them go and now they say they were really glad that we did, infact they both say that they couldn't imagine going to Orlando in the future and not do a cruise!
I think that your 2 are the perfect age to do a disney cruise - go on you want to do one really don't you?! - I have to say that it is without a shadow of a doubt the BEST holiday thing I have ever done - I only wish that I could've done a 7 nighter this time but a 3 nighter was all we could get to fit in with our dates (taking into consideration school dates)

Natalie

Natalie
~1992 Vistana Resort~1993 International Gateway~1997 Vistana Resort~1999 Vistana Resort~2001 Vistana Resort/Holiday Inn Sanibel Beach Resort~2003 Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort/Vistana Resort/Villa@Fort Myers~2005 POFQ/Vistana Resort/Disney Wonder/Orange Lake Country Club ~2007 Coronado Springs/Disney Wonder/Vistana Resort/Disney All Star Movies~2010-Disney's Old Key West/Carnival Inspiration -~2014 Villa~2015 Las Vegas
NatalieD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 07, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mazzy
... I think the thing that puts me off the most is being seasick. I'm not too good on boats, well I'm OK when there going at speed, but when they start bobbing about that it, head in the bucket!
I'm in the same boat I suffer badly with motion sickness but from what I've read as long as you take something you'll be fine.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 07, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Yes, and don't panic if it is a bit choppy the first night leaving PC...it is often choppy crossing the sea channels out from there ... the rest of our cruise was perfectly calm.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 07, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post

For anyone else who doesnt like the thought of tablemates - I emailed Dreams and asked if they could request a table just for the 4 of us and also that we would like the 8pm sitting if possible.
They emailed back and said they had put forward the request to DLC and it has been noted but cannot be guaranteed - which is fair enough.
For anyone not booked with dreams you can email DLC direct to request a table just for your party and your prefered sitting time
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 07, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Karen Mouse
Imagineer

Karen Mouse's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by jdybnsn
I was confused about how strangers would have been limited to nut free meals , as orders are taken for each individual from a menu ? I've no experience about nut allergies - so I was wondering if you could explain about this, for my own future reference (me showing my ignorance again ).

But I am very glad that DCL are going to accommodate your request - there's nothing worse than fretting about issues before you go on holiday - at least now you can relax about that one
My ds' allergy is so severe he cant be near a nut. If a "stranger" (ie tablemate) ate something containing nuts or had eaten nuts earlier in the day then touched either Ellis himself (eg shook his hand, ruffled his hair etc)or touched the salt and pepper then Ellis picked them up after that would be enough to trigger a reaction. We have to wipe down everything he touches first. You can imagine the performance I have to go through before he gets on a plane . I board early and wipe the whole area inc seats, carpet, windows. They think I'm mad but imagine your son going into anaphalatic shock over the atlantic with no hospital for hours. He'd be dead in minutes, hence we carry 4 epipens with us and antihistamine everywhere we go. My handbags are never small!

I have to sign disclaimers with Virgin and they always want £800+ insurance just to cover Ellis!

I'm glad you asked - I was totally oblivious to it all til we found out Ellis had the allergy. You would not believe the things that has nuts in - even suntan lotion!

Oh well... hope that helped and thanks for asking
Old 19 Mar 07, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Karen Mouse
Imagineer

Karen Mouse's Reviews
[QUOTE=Mazzy]This is the one thing that puts me off a cruise, as I'm partially deaf and it would make mealtimes really stressful to have strangers sitting with us.

It's good to know that you can put a request in for your own table, hopefully if I explained they would do their best for me.
QUOTE]

Mazzy - I'm sure they would understand if you emailed them. A relative of ours gets fretful for the same reason - you always have to be on one side or they cant hear you and get awfully embarrassed asking you to repeat etc. Disney are very accomodating and will do their utmost to make you eel comfortable. Email them and set your mind at rest.
Old 19 Mar 07, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Wow, Karen I had no idea that a nut allegy could be so severe That's certainly put a new light on it for me.

It must be a nightmare, but I am glad it is not stopping you from being able to go places, and do fun things with him

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 07, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Karen Mouse
Imagineer

Karen Mouse's Reviews
Originally Posted by jdybnsn
Wow, Karen I had no idea that a nut allegy could be so severe That's certainly put a new light on it for me.

It must be a nightmare, but I am glad it is not stopping you from being able to go places, and do fun things with him
Luckily we didnt find out til he was nearly three years old. We knew he was allergic to something but couldnt find out what and he was too little to be tested. He was getting a reaction when I ate them in chinese food - (i love cashews ). It was scary to start with, but you have to just get on with things and have his medication close by. The school is great with him and I have a training kit and train anybody who might be looking after him - eg beavers, clubs etc, but I still always carry 2 mobiles with me when he's not with me so I am contactable at all times. I dread it when he starts going out drinking with friends when he's older - no-ones sensible when they have had a few beers - Mommy will be hiding behind pillars in pubs and restaurants keeping an eye on him ready to pounce if he goes near a nut! My son will be the only one to take his mom out on the town with him

Most people dont have it so bad - he has every known reaction signs and then ones the hospital hadnt seen before too!

Glad you asked. Most people think its just annoying when asked not to eat nuts on a plane, but it could save someones life and yet Virgin still will not remove nuts from upper class. - shame on them.

Have a nice day (and stay away from nuts!)
Old 19 Mar 07, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
How awful Karen! I have a mushroom allergy myself and while its not so severe that I have to wipe away all trace of them if I do eat soemthing which has them in I go into anaphylactic shock in minutes... it took me ages to realsie what was causing it and can be very scary I know. I really feel for your son. Its good to ahev more information on these things... and liek you say Virgin should reconsider teh whole 'nut' thing on planes I think!