Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 27 May 14, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Gizmo.Y
Earning More Ears

Under 25's Car Hire - Sixt

After lots of reading and recommendations, Looking at going with Sixt for car hire as they do not charge extra for under 25's

We have gone to do a dummy booking to see what the price is and indeed it seems the fee is not charged - at least with the initial booking.

Looking through the T&C's it does however state "$9 per day or a Maximum of $50 for the duration of hire"

I just don't want to get stung with this fee when we get state-side. unless it is already charged in the booking (But its not stated in the price breakdown.)

The car comes in at $399 for the 2 weeks - which seems the best price we can find (If it excludes this under 25's fee)

Any thoughts?

Many Thanks.
Gizmo.Y is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 14, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

I was looking at this- It does say somewhere that they don't charge a surcharge. Also try usrentacar (I believe they quote for the young drivers packages)
I actually worked out that for us it's actually cheaper to get taxis about (and that's not including petrol) if you need a car for under 25's.
Also car on the drive don't charge young drivers either
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 14, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
DLS1005
Imagineer

DLS1005's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

When we went in 2011 we had 3 under 25 drivers and 1 over 25 so we booked with Car On The Drive, service is amazing and they cover under 25 with no additional charges. It was worth paying the bit extra to make sure we were covered and wouldn't be stung with charges at the car hire place. The cost will depend on what size car you require but it's worth looking at! We now book with them everytime we go!
DLS1005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 14, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
loves_disney
Imagineer

loves_disney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We booked with sixt and when I read through the terms and conditions they do charge in certain places. They charge a daily fee in Tampa but not Orlando!

Unless they've changed their terms and conditions recently.
Old 27 May 14, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post

we used them in may 2013 for the exact reason as yourself
i was under 25 and everywhere was a fortune

SIXT was great, only paid what i was quoted so not sure what the Ts&Cs fees are saying but apart from the normal quote we paid absolutely nothing else

its off site but it was no problem and we actually beat our extended family who rented through alamo on site as their line was massive apparently

i really would recommend SIXT, they were amazng and i will use them again if they are cheapest (im now over 25 so dont need to look for no under 25 fee)

email them if you are not sure about anything but they were brilliant with me
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 14, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by loves_disney View Post
We booked with sixt and when I read through the terms and conditions they do charge in certain places. They charge a daily fee in Tampa but not Orlando!

Unless they've changed their terms and conditions recently.
I've just done a dummy booking and on checking the rental agreement it states the following:

Age Restrictions
Drivers have to meet the following age requirements to rent certain car groups.
Car group restrictions
21 years +
ECAR, CCAR, ICAR, SCAR, FCAR, MVAR, SVAR, CTAR, CFAR, IFAR, CLAR

25 years +
PCAR, LCAR, FVAR, STAR, PTAR, XTAR, SFAR, FFAR, PFAR, LFAR, XFAR, XCAR, XDAR, XCEA, PVAR, FWAR, PWAR, XSAR, PSAR, ITAR

Driver has to be in possession of a valid driving licence for at least 1 year.
Driver's license for vehicle groups FVAR, PVAR must include an approval for category D1.
EU citizens are allowed to drive vehicles with up to 8 passengers.
A Young Driver Surcharge of USD 9.00 per day or maximum of USD 49.00 per rental applies for drivers under 25 years.
Except for Weehawken:
A Young Driver Surcharge of $39.99/day and a maximum of $499.00/month applies to drivers under 25 years of age.
Except for Tampa & Myrtle Beach:
A Young Driver Surcharge of $18.14/day applies to drivers under 25 years of age.
Except for Charlotte:
A Young Driver Surcharge of $25.00/day applies to drivers under 25 years of age.

I've understood that to mean that there would be an additional $49 on the cost of the rental if I want my son to be able to drive it. Have I got that right?
Sioux is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 14, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Sounds right. I think they have only recently introduced the young driver additional fee. We are booking with them for September though as the $49 is still much, much less than the $300 for two weeks that the others rental companies ask for.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 14, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
WelshTom
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Even if it is $49 extra it still works out an awful lot cheaper than alamo $25 per day surcharge or the likes of USRentaCar with young package when I price up car hire.
WelshTom is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 14, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by WelshTom View Post
Even if it is $49 extra it still works out an awful lot cheaper than alamo $25 per day surcharge or the likes of USRentaCar with young package when I price up car hire.
i agree; if that's the maximum amount added on I'll take that
Sioux is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 14, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Gizmo.Y
Earning More Ears

Got a reply from Sixt, Here is the conversation.

Good Morning,

Thank you for your e-mail.
Driver has to be in possession of a valid driving licence for at least 1 year.

Driver's license for vehicle group FVAR, the 12 seater Nissan NV350 or equivalent sized vehicle, and group PVAR the 15 seater Ford E350 or equivalent sized vehicle must include an approval for category D1.

EU citizens are allowed to drive vehicles with up to 8 passengers.

A Young Driver Surcharge of USD 9.00 per day or maximum of USD 49.00 per rental applies for drivers under 25 years. Except for Weehawken:

A Young Driver Surcharge of $39.99/day and a maximum of $499.00/month applies to drivers under 25 years of age.
Except for Tampa & Myrtle Beach:

A Young Driver Surcharge of $18.14/day applies to drivers under 25 years of age.Except for Charlotte:

A Young Driver Surcharge of $25.00/day applies to drivers under 25 years of age.(Young Driver Surcharge = AE)

I hope this solves your query. However, if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards

Hello, This doesn't answer my query as all this is just a copy and paste from the T&C’s. Which one applies to Orlando? Will i be charged $9 a Day or $49 for the entire 2 weeks? Its not clear...

Many Thanks
Good morning,

If renting a vehicle in Orlando for 2 weeks and you are under the age of 25 there will be an additional charge od $49.

Best regards
Good Afternoon,

Please be advise the $49 dollar charge covers the young driver for the duration of the hire.

Best regards
So that means $49 on top of the Hire charge (Which is $400)
Gizmo.Y is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread