Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 29 May 14, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by bungle4x4 View Post
just out of curiosity, what are the drink drive laws?
In Florida, exactly the same level of alcohol is permitted as the UK.

For under 21s it is effectively zero, but it is illegal for under 21s to drink anyway and I don't think many, if any, under 21 Dibbers will be driving.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 14, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Rowlf
Imagineer

If you do get stopped and you're over the limit DUI is treated at least as strictly as here. It's a night in the cells (with some 'interesting' companions) and a court appearance next day, and that's just for starters ... Basically it'll ruin your holiday for everyone.

It's also illegal to have any opened bottles or cans of alcohol in a car and you would be prosecuted for it. If you have wine left over from a meal the waiter will provide a carrier bag which you have to put in the boot if you want to take it home. Trouble is SUVs don't have separate boots.
Old 29 May 14, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
loubieloo
Imagineer

That is one of our reasons for staying at Port Orelans Riverside ! We have still got a hire car. In the evenings we can get the boat to DTD have a cocktail or 2 then get the boat back
Old 29 May 14, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry I'm new to this, wot does DTD stand for lol?
Do you stay in a villa? Is it expensive to stay there?
Old 29 May 14, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

Down town disney. We tend to only drink at the villa
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 14, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
keeley78
Imagineer

keeley78's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Originally Posted by mancity5 View Post
People can say it isn't a drinking holiday all they want, but i certainly like a drink every day while there, what is better than having a nice cold beer in the sun.?
Totally agree this is the reason we don't stay in a villa or drive to the parks or restaurants, we like to have a drink when we feel like it, I love my margaritas in orlando

Rosen inn @ pointe May 2010, Rosen inn @ pointe & got married May 2011, Clarion inn LBV May 2012, Rosen international, RPR & Hilton Clearwater July/aug 2013
New York July 2016
Rosen @ pointe, Cabana Bay & All star sports Oct/ Nov 2018, New York July 2023
keeley78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 14, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post

I've never been to Florida before so totally clueless would this be easy enough to do? Would we just rent a villa there, hire a car then get boat to Disneyland if we were drinking? Is it easy enough to get to boat and how long is the boat ride? How long is the drive from port orelans to Disney? Is it far away from everythin ie international drive etc
Old 29 May 14, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
loubieloo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Flick1982 View Post
I've never been to Florida before so totally clueless would this be easy enough to do? Would we just rent a villa there, hire a car then get boat to Disneyland if we were drinking? Is it easy enough to get to boat and how long is the boat ride? How long is the drive from port orelans to Disney? Is it far away from everythin ie international drive etc
Sorry port Orleans is a Disney hotel
Old 29 May 14, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Do you do a package deal then or do you buy flights separate then book hotel?
Old 29 May 14, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Macmac View Post
Why would it not be considered a drinking holiday? You can drink as much in Florida as anywhere else.
It's not that you CAN'T drink in Florida, many people just don't feel up to it! I drink far too much at home/on other holidays, but for some reason in Orlando I just don't feel like it!

I guess it's the energy spent during the day and in the sun, makes a coke fair more appealing on a night than a beer. We stayed on International DR in 2012 and I never drank more than a single pint at once, even if we walked.

Might feel differently this time, and we're in a villa so knowing my luck I'll have the taste for it and be forced out of it!
Closed Thread