Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Jun 14, 02:57 AM  
Link to this Post
DanSambora85
Excited about Disney

Car Hire For Dummies!

Hi everyone!

Totally don't know where to start with car hire.

Me and my partner want to hire a car for a portion of our trip. We will be staying onsite at Coronado Springs from 19/11/14 - 03/12/14, but would like to hire a car from 25/11/14 for maybe 5-7 days.
We plan on heading to Tampa for a Lightning game, Universal/IOA, and Kennedy Space Centre.

There is just the two of us and as it's part way through our trip we won't be requiring any luggage space.

How far in advance should we book?
Where do I book from?
Do I need to buy any extra insurance or is it all kind of included?
Am I right in thinking Disney Dolphin is the most convenient pick-up point?

If anyone can help or if there's any threads detailing this stuff please link them, i'm really at a loss!

Thanks!
DanSambora85 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 14, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
markiemark90
Very Serious Dibber

markiemark90's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 2
There are loads of threads and forums on here re car hire. I think that is why no one has replied yet. Do a bit more searching!

We always get car at airport and have not stayed in Disney hotel. But there are lots who only get car for a a few days. My concern would be it may cost you just as much for a week than it does for two weeks. Plus I am sure you have to pay to park in Disney hotels. It may be cheaper to get a taxi to and from universal. You can get buses to Tampa but I'm not the person to advise which one. Kennedy space centre do shuttle busses from Orlando area. Or you can book tickets and bus as I have read loads of trip reports on here about people who get bus there.

I would try the usual websites like Alamo and dollar and usrentacar etc. and price up 14 and 7 day hires. See if you can get one delivered to hotel. I would also chech on parking charge.

Best of luck

Mark

Edited at 11:06 AM.
markiemark90 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 14, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Surf a couple of sites to make comparisons and book it when you see a price that you like. When we have lived on site it hasn't cost us anything to park anywhere on site.
Go to mears taxi calculator and you will find that its cheaper to hire a car for the day than use a taxi to and from Universal. You can get a bus to Tampa but then you will need a taxi to and from wherever you want to get to and I don't know that you could do it in one day with a bus. I've never caught a bus to KSC but I know that they do run. I prefer to hire a car and come and go as I please. Disney Dolphin would be the nearest pick up point to you generally but not all hire companies use it so check before you hire.
Old 1 Jun 14, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Dolphin is possibly the best but do check things out first. It may pay to have the car for the entire holiday !
You will not have to pay for parking on-site at any WDW park or Hotel if you are staying at a WDW resort but do ensure that you get the parking pass from reception.
A very quick look at usrentacar suggests that it would be less than £200 for the period you specifi and around £300 from the airport - why not have a look?
The agencies offer different insurance options but they do tend to cover that needed.
I suggest you book before you go - no matter what option you go for.

Edited at 02:48 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 14, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
DanSambora85
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks everyone. Did some searching but nearly all threads involve picking up the car from the airport which I'm not planning on doing.

Thanks for all the tips, will get on the research tonight!
Old 1 Jun 14, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
DDD
Apprentice Imagineer

DDD's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
We normally pick up our car from Dolphin or the car care centre, it is limited to companies who offer this and we generally go through Alamo. For the dolphin we have walked to get the car but for the car care centre just ask ur concierge and they will ring for a bus to come and take u there. We always book before we go and Dolphin often don't have spare cars so need to book up front. I have looked at a 3 day rental before and a week was very little more so we generally do that. There is no cost to park at the hotels. There is a sheet of paper they give you to pop in your car. Don't forget u can also park for free in the park car parks if u are staying on site.

I think it's a good idea to get a car and ur plans sound fab. Enjoy!
DDD
DDD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 14, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DanSambora85
Excited about Disney

£219 for 7 days hire of a Mustang convertible (or similar).
From Alamo, with the tank or petrol etc (Gold package).
Pick up from Disney Car Care.

Is this reasonable? It sounds good to me.
DanSambora85 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 14, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread