Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Jun 14, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
IronGate
Excited about Disney

Car Hire - Hertz or Alamo?

I have a small problem.

I'm not travelling until next year but I have started looking at things already. I have heard such good things about Alamo and have read about how I can quickly get my vehicle and away I go, so I was going to just go with them. However through work, I can get a good discount on Hertz rental.

Alamo (Economy):
Chevy Spark or similar = £218

Hertz (Economy ECar):
Kia Rio or similar = £157.14

Hertz (Compact 2/4dr CCar:
Ford Focus or similar = £157.16

Seems like a no brainer as I'd opt for the Focus and it's quite a big saving so I am obviously looking at that.

Hertz says:

Unlimited mileage
Includes: Rental Surcharge
Loss Damage Waiver
Tax and other charges
Customer Facility Charge
Vehicle Licensing Cost Recovery
Liability Insurance Supplement
Airport Concession Fee Recovery On Flight Arrivals
Energy Surcharge

But has anyone used Hertz before? Are they alright?

Thanks
IronGate is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 14, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post

We just had a midsize SUV through Alamo. Loads to choose through and the Alamo save time worked brilliantly. All we were offered was the option of pre paid fuel on exit.

Others in our party hired with Hertz due to it being cheaper and although like us everything was meant to be included they sold them extra insurance to do with uninsured drivers. Think this then pushed up the price significantly. I can't remember exactly the amount.

This was in the last couple of weeks so may be worth finding out exactly what's on offer.

Or perhaps this was different because of how they booked but I was sure they booked directly.

Hope this helps a little
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 14, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Rowlf
Imagineer

Is this for 2 weeks? Hertz would clearly be the better deal with the focus size car.

Hertz are in fact the biggest car rental company in the world (or were) and usually well regarded. However Alamo are popular as you can actually choose the car you want whereas the other companies just give you one. If you fly into Orlando International you can do an online check in that saves the long queues you otherwise get at this airport.

HTH
Old 2 Jun 14, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
HenrysDad
Imagineer

HenrysDad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have used both and personally prefer Hertz, but that said, I have no problems with Alamo either
Old 2 Jun 14, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Bigger car? Less money? = no brainer for me

Have used Hertz a few times before including last month (picked up at HRH) they offered the usual upgrades but was not pushy...and I declined. Will be using them again in August but have no particular loyalty, will always just go for the best deal
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 14, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Kateg28
Excited about Disney

Not used Hertz in Florida but have done in Italy and they were brilliant. They did try and sell us extras but was not a hard sell at all and we simply said no. The whole experience was excellent and the best one I have used in Italy by a mile.
Kateg28 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 14, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post

for £ 60 I'd stand in line for a good couple of hours without complaint and still feel quids in
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 14, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
simmofamily
Imagineer

If you go with Alamo get a quote off Virgin Car Hire as they're a lot cheaper at the moment.
I've just booked a Ford Escape and Alamo Brits were £220 but Virgin were £150
Old 2 Jun 14, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
rsvdaz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Join Hertz Gold and go straight to the garage for no hard sell
Most car hire companies have a save time scheme
rsvdaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 14, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
IronGate
Excited about Disney

Thanks for all the input
Yes, sorry I should have mentioned this is for two weeks (well, about 12 days or so)

I work for a Virgin company so was able to use a special discount to get the Hertz cheaper, although the online reviews aren't too hot for them.

I don't know if Hertz would accept my Virgin Flying Club in addition to the discount though so I can get "up to 1000 flying miles". I may have to email them about it. Although I have just seen the car rentals section on the Virgin Atlantic website, but the equivalent car is still ~£240.

Still in two minds but will probably book Hertz.
IronGate is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread