Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 16 Jun 14, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Photo Trip Report Re-Imagined Disney Magic - Finished

As promised, here are a few photos and some nonsensical words from our latest cruise aboard the beautiful Disney Magic.

We sailed on a 7 night Med cruise that started in Barcelona and stopped at Villefranche (Monaco), La Spezia (Pisa), Civatevecchia (Rome) and Naples (Sorrento), along with having a few days at sea too.

Please bear in mind that we have done this itinerary a few times now so we only got off the ship once and that was to go to the supermarket to get more beer for Mick. If you like culture in your trip reports, best to say goodbye now!

So, let's start with our sleeping quarters .. stateroom 1041 (deck 1 of course). A Category 10c. Fabulous room, very quiet, loved it.

This is looking back towards the door. The split bathroom is on the left opposite the wardrobe.

New padded seat for bottoms or bags! This has taken the place of the steamer trunks

This photo is taken from in front of the wardrobe. If you're in an oceanview room, the mirror would be a window of course!

Here's the split bathroom. For those who are new to DCL, a split bathroom has a shower/tub and sink in one room, then a loo and sink in another. Really good as you can still get in the shower when someone is in the loo Here's the tub/shower side and below is the loo/sink side.

A lot of rooms have this new cupboard, it's fantastic! Has 4 large drawers and 2 cupboards with a shelf in each. We fitted so much shi .. rubbish in it! Plus we managed to fit most of our towel animals on top from the whole week.

And here are the Wave Phones (2 per room) and the plug sockets. European plugs or American fit. The new hairdryers can only be fitted in one of the sockets on this desk (that middle round one). Check out the scared one top left!

Our Castaway Club gift.

Being Gold, we got a minging yellow rucksack bag (! ), a journal, pen, door magnet (whiteboard) and a Navilighter. It's a highlighter pen basically and you use it to mark off the things that interest you in the Navigator (daily actiivites paper). People used to give these as Fish Extenders gifts but now there's no need (glee)!
Silver CC members get a grey coloured bag and Platinum get an all black one. If you're a newbie, you get nothing but the knowledge that DCL will welcome you back again and give you a gift next time!

Edited at 10:19 PM.
Bats is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 14, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Ok, so on to other areas of the ship. The Disney Magic has had a major refurbishment done since we sailed on her last year so we were keen to see the new shiny bits.
Open House in the childrens clubs is an ideal opportunity to have a good nosey around .. so we did!

I should start by saying that the 2 younger clubs (Oceaneers Club and Oceaneers Lab) are now joined so children can go from one to the other without having to leave the secure space. This is soooo much better, safer and easier.

Just inside the doors are these fantastic hand washers..

They whoosh water and soap around your hands as you put your hands in. It's timed to ensure cleanliness, then there are paper towels next to them. Genius and for OCD handwashers (LLama Tina ) they would be a sure fire hit!

The first section once inside the Club is the Animators Studio. here, children can use graphic packages to draw or good old colouring pens.

Next up is the craft studio where they do errrr, craft things?!

Onwards to the computer games section .. loads of games to play and activities too like 'build a pirate' (see rubbish attempt of mine below)

And then there's the 'captain the ship' area that Mick decided to have a go at (you can play with everything during Open House). Please note that he is trying to steer the ship AWAY from Castaway Cay in this photo, but only managed to crash for 10 whole minutes!

Just to the right of the 3 areas I’ve shown you above, and central to the Oceaneers Lab is this dance floor with big video screen. It plays music videos all day much to the delight of the club counsellors!

Over to the right hand side of this club then and we have the food prep area. This is where your little darlings get to make cookies, flubber and other such delights. If you’re lucky, they may have eaten them before you get the chance to try them!

Ok, so remember I said that the 2 clubs were now linked? Look at the 2nd photo and you will see a corridor on the left hand side, that’s the new passage. Here’s the carpet in that area, it’s so cool.

Contd

Edited at 10:33 PM.
Bats is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 14, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Down the corridor we go then and we come into Oceaneers Club with the Mickey Mouse Club House area.

Corridor on right in the 2nd picture is the new passageway again.

Next up is an area that has proved very popular .. it’s Marvel Superhero thingymejig!

Now I get myself confused as there are other areas but I can’t remember which bits were where! Suffice to say, the others areas were Pixie Hollow where the children could dress up

Then a storybook area where Belle comes to read stories and Snow White teaches them to dance

And finally, my favourite area ... Andy’s Room. A slinky slide that goes from the top of Andy’s massive bed to the floor and a big Mr Potato Head with interchangeable hats, eyes, ears and arms.

Last thing for this bit is the new wristband that the children get. No more of the horrible bulky white bracelet things and more of this

Similar to Magic Bands.

And for the slightly older children, here is Edge. Not really much of a change here and to be honest, we only went in for a few minutes as it was full of grunting teens who took umbrage to adults invading their space! Lots of computer stuff, but they also had a timetable of activities which included lots of sports and quizzes for all.

Next up ... other badly taken photos and more blah blah

Edited at 10:48 PM.
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
So, food is a major source of joy for me whilst cruising and I'm really pleased to say that Topsiders has gone! It is now Cabanas which is the same as the Dream and Fantasy.

Cabanas is better as instead of forming a school dinner line, you go to different pods to get what you want. There's a carvery pod, a veggie pod etc ... no more lining up, well, not as much anyway!

They have the normal breakfast stuff like crispy bacon (the Palo chef told them to get Heinz beans for the cruise after ours though as they only had US beans .. nasty)! Anyway, also available are grits , porridge, toast, bagels, croissants, eggs, meats, fruits and this array of cereals ..

And these beauties

Drinks available all day from the self serve machine on Deck 9 and in Cabanas during breakfast and lunch.

The two 'light' drinks are acckckckkkkkkkkkk . In other words, so sweet with artificial sweetener, it sticks your tonsils to the back of your throat. The pomegranate one is nice, but only when used as squash!

Carioca's is the new restaurant that has taken the place of Parrot Cay (hoorah)!

Neither of us are foodies, so the new menus are wasted on us. Dave and Maria (Maza) would be able to give you a much better idea on how good the food was (and also shake their heads at how awkward I am with food)!

Talking of food, don't forget that if you get peckish at any time (24hr), you can get free room service. It is customary to tip the delivery person a dollar or two and not everything is free (popcorn for one is chargable)

Apparently the best things to order from room service are cheese pizza, Philly steak sandwich, Mickey ice cream bar and warm cookies with milk at bedtime. You have to ask for the cookie to be warmed ok. Sorry for the blurry picture but the menu is inside a hardbacked book so it's difficult to get it in focus!

While we're inside, let's do a few bars ..
The new After Hours walkway (all silver and dark blue, really nice)

O'Gills Irish Bar (doesn't seel Guinness)!

But it does sell these lush virgin Pina Colava's (and Micks Heineken)

Fathoms (replaced Rockin Bar D)

Next up, our favourite bar .. Keys.

Edited at 07:14 AM.
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
So, Keys is where we're hoping to get married in September. It has natural light and the serving team are ace!
Here are serving team, from L-R .. Tim, Hadi, Nuna and Wayne. If you are onboard this summer, please go and see them and tell them Joa and Mick from the UK say hello and look forward to seeing them at the wedding in Sept! )

In Keys, we did the Cocktail Mixology ($15 each for 5 glasses). Mick and Gary got to go behind the bar .. it was chaos!

Just to give you an idea of price (we spent $1000 on this cruise and most of it was in the bars or by the pool)

Here are a couple of bar menus .. First ones are O'Gills.

This could be the Promenade Lounge x 2

Edited at 05:40 PM.
Old 16 Jun 14, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Outside we go then and first up is the new slide that replaced the Mickey slide. This one is called Twist n Spout.

This is the new water play area

And the kid soup pool (Goofy pool with giant screen to watch Disney movies on)

Bear in mind that I took the picture above on a sea day at around 11am, so it was always going to be busy.

Total contrast .. here's my favourite spot - Quiet Cove adult only pool.

In the photo above, you can see the new canopies to give shade. There are 2 on each side and we came to the conclusion that one on each side would have been much better. They take up most of the deck 10 space above the Quiet Cove pool and this was traditionally used as the overflow area for QC and was also used by families who wanted to be near QC without getting kicked out of the area.

The Aquadunk rules and regs

I seem to have lost my photo of the Aquadunk, but you can google it I'm sure. Suffice to say, it was brilliant, but the water went rushing up my nose and down my throat which wasn't very nice. It takes around 5 seconds from top to bottom and you definitely need to check yourself before standing up at the bottom ladies!

Up onto Deck 10 then and you have the outdoor sports areas. Basketball court has one goal net (I know, what kind of game is that?! ) and is often used by Vibe or Edge.

Wiff Waff and Foosball are right at the front of the ship.

There's really only the spa and gym to go and I've left those till last as who in their right mind would want to go to the gym while they're cruising?!

Edited at 09:48 PM.
Old 16 Jun 14, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Alright, just for those who like having a stranger touching them and rubbing oily stuff into them, or maybe those who are just plain mad and enjoy sharing sweat with people .. here are pictures of the spa and gym

This is in the toilets (razors, cotton wool balls, Elemis products)

Here is the shower room that some people use if they don't like the showers in their stateroom! These are bigger and you get massive towels! They also have massive loungers too!

The gym on the Magic overlooks the ocean .. nice view but it means you have to do exercise!

To finish ... here is a Pack n Play that are free to use for those of you who have babies. use it as a cot (sheets and blankets provided) or as a prison, sorry, play pen!
Folded.

And open

And last but not least .. please turn away now if you never break rules or 'borrow' anything from hotel rooms!
Here is my haul

The most important thing to me is the moisturiser. I absolutely love it and have a tube of it in every bag I own and every room in the house. I don't steal it, there's no need ... just tip your stateroom host $10 or so on the first day while explaining how much you love the moisturiser or *insert favourite product*. Lo and behold, they will probably be very willing to add a few extras in your room each night!

That's it then, my photo trippie of the Re-Imagined Magic. Hopefully it's given a few of you some ideas of whats on board and what it all looks like, but believe me, nothing can compare to when you actually walk over that gang plank bridgy thing and board the ship into the beautiful atrium.

If you're booked a cruise, be warned .. it's addictive.

Joa and Mick

Here is Dave and Maria's photo montage, along with an excellent choice of music. Its 5 o'clock somewhere!

Edited at 07:20 AM.
Old 16 Jun 14, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer2802
Imagineer

Imagineer2802's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 27

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 74
I love those name tag door magnets! Miffed that first timers don't get a fancy (well, minging yellow) gift set though! can't wait to see more!

2019 - August - Europe on the Magic! 17th Trip!

**~ °o° ~°o° ~ °o°~°o° ~°o° ~ °o°~**
Imagineer2802 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 14, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Imagineer2802 View Post
I love those name tag door magnets! Miffed that first timers don't get a fancy (well, minging yellow) gift set though! can't wait to see more!
I think I've got the template still for those ... PM me your email addy and I'll send it over for you.
Old 16 Jun 14, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
I'm liking the look of those toiletries

Joa, have you the template for the DVC Welcome Home magnet?