Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Oct 19, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
So a flying freehold is essentially what it sounds like, you own the freehold to an area that is above ground level but not the freehold sitting between ground level and your interest.

As the OP says this is not uncommon with shared passageways mainly due to poor original conveyancing, i.e. the passageway is split down the middle as to ownership but this split doesn't mirror the split of the house above.

Whilst this is a flying freehold it isn't as bad as flying freeholds where the land below is part of the same building and therefore needed to be kept in repair for reasons of support.

OP your solicitor should be totally aware of all the complications and yes it may cause some issues with the bank (assuming you are getting a mortgage) but these should be resolvable - it may just delay matters as the bank will have to sign off. As long as what you are buying includes all the structure to the overhang and you have rights of access to the whole of the land underneath for repairs etc then it is resolvable.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 06:04 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I had one in my house with my ex, the second bedroom extended out over a shared access way and interlocked with their bedrooms so sat just within their building line. I don't remember too many problems with it
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 06:25 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Insurance companies aren’t keen on flying freeholds because of maintenance issues. Do a dummy online quote just to check the premium, terms etc.
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

I sold my dads house a few years ago that had one of these. I didn’t even know it could potentially have been an issue for the buyers until reading this as it all progressed pretty smoothly. Hope this is a bit more reassuring for you OP,
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

MIL has one on her cottage, it is a semi - one of 2 made originally from a made from a much bigger house. The turn in her stairs is over the hallway in the other house.

It also means that the other house's hall window looks into and opens into her backyard - which to be honest is more of a problem for selling...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for all the replies. I’m not overly worried due to it being over the alley/entry/ginnel etc rather than a neighbour’s actual house.
We’ll see what the solicitor reports back next week. Fingers crossed all is ok and we move soon.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Mobile

My house is flying freehold, my insurance has never been dearer. In fact there has never been an option on any insurance i have had to say it is flying freehold .

One of our bedrooms is over next doors stairs. The loft above is split directly in half so a mirror image of their downstairs foot print as such.

It has been no different that having a standard freehold. We have both had extensive building work done on our houses, as the room is in the middle of the house it has never come into question.
Old 5 Oct 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
My house is flying freehold, my insurance has never been dearer. In fact there has never been an option on any insurance i have had to say it is flying freehold .

One of our bedrooms is over next doors stairs. The loft above is split directly in half so a mirror image of their downstairs foot print as such.

It has been no different that having a standard freehold. We have both had extensive building work done on our houses, as the room is in the middle of the house it has never come into question.
So your bedroom is over their stairs and part of their loft is over your bedroom?

Seems it’s something that is very common, and not something even thought about in a lot of cases.

The house we’re buying is on an estate where lots of the houses are similar. It’s a very popular area and houses sell quickly.
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List