Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 11 Oct 19, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

After Seaworld we had a late lunch/early dinner at Red Lobster before heading to Halloween Horror Nights.

To drink we ordered the strawberry Lobsterita (which is a frozen margarita) to share as we knew from last year it would be absolutely huge. Somehow it still managed to surprise me though! It probably holds three standard sized cocktails and tastes strongly of strawberry but does have a little kick to it.

It was just what we needed after racing around three parks before 3pm!

They also bring you out some lovely warm cheese biscuits which we love.

We had a voucher for a free starter and chose the calamari which came with fried peppers and both marinara and ranch sauces.

This was really good and worked well with both sauces.

For entrees we both chose a create your own platter with two dishes and a side.

I went with the Walt’s favourite shrimp (which is butterflied and battered) and the garlic shrimp scampi which is surprisingly not battered and comes in a beautiful garlic butter sauce. For my side I went for the baked potato with butter and sour cream.

This was absolutely gorgeous. Walt’s favourite shrimp is the best - I always look forward to having it when in Orlando. The garlic shrimp scampi was also super good, as was the baked potato. It all went together really well and I would choose this combination again.

W also had the garlic shrimp scampi as part of his platter, but upgraded to also include a sirloin steak. For his side he went for the mashed potato.

And here’s a second photo as the mash was hiding a bit on the first one

He thought the steak was really nice and was cooked medium rare as requested. He also really enjoyed the garlic shrimp scampi and stole a couple more of mine when I was defeated! He loved the mash too and said that it was as good as the Longhorns mash he enjoyed a couple of nights ago.

Overall we loved this meal and it was a bonus having a voucher for a free appetiser so the bill came to (on a cool iPad on the table!):

Yes, less than $10 for that huge cocktail - an absolute steal!

We don’t see Red Lobster mentioned much on here but I hope some more dibbers give it a go as we’ve always found it to be excellent.

Edited at 06:22 PM.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Mobile

Those garlic prawns look amazing! We’re not planning on going off site unfortunately or Red Lobster would have definitely made the list after seeing those.

Enjoy your last day!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Jannyjan
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
After Seaworld we had a late lunch/early dinner at Red Lobster before heading to Halloween Horror Nights.

To drink we ordered the strawberry Lobsterita (which is a frozen margarita) to share as we knew from last year it would be absolutely huge. Somehow it still managed to surprise me though! It probably holds three standard sized cocktails and tastes strongly of strawberry but does have a little kick to it.

It was just what we needed after racing around three parks before 3pm!

They also bring you out some lovely warm cheese biscuits which we love.

We had a voucher for a free starter and chose the calamari which came with fried peppers and both marinara and ranch sauces.

This was really good and worked well with both sauces.

For entrees we both chose a create your own platter with two dishes and a side.

I went with the Walt’s favourite shrimp (which is butterflied and battered) and the garlic shrimp scampi which is surprisingly not battered and comes in a beautiful garlic butter sauce. For my side I went for the baked potato with butter and sour cream.

This was absolutely gorgeous. Walt’s favourite shrimp is the best - I always look forward to having it when in Orlando. The garlic shrimp scampi was also super good, as was the baked potato. It all went together really well and I would choose this combination again.

W also had the garlic shrimp scampi as part of his platter, but upgraded to also include a sirloin steak. For his side he went for the mashed potato.

And here’s a second photo as the mash was hiding a bit on the first one

He thought the steak was really nice and was cooked medium rare as requested. He also really enjoyed the garlic shrimp scampi and stole a couple more of mine when I was defeated! He loved the mash too and said that it was as good as the Longhorns mash he enjoyed a couple of nights ago.

Overall we loved this meal and it was a bonus having a voucher for a free appetiser so the bill came to (on a cool iPad on the table!):

Yes, less than $10 for that huge cocktail - an absolute steal!

We don’t see Red Lobster mentioned much on here but I hope some more dibbers give it a go as we’ve always found it to be excellent.
You can buy the cheese biscuit mixes in some of the supermarkets if you have enough weight in your cases
Jannyjan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 05:48 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
Those garlic prawns look amazing! We’re not planning on going off site unfortunately or Red Lobster would have definitely made the list after seeing those.

Enjoy your last day!
They were super good! Definitely keep it in mind for a future trip.

We had a great day, thank you. Luckily we don’t fly until quite late tomorrow so we have most of the day here to enjoy.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 05:50 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jannyjan View Post
You can buy the cheese biscuit mixes in some of the supermarkets if you have enough weight in your cases
Wow, I didn’t know they sold mixes for them! We’ve just done our packing though and I’m not sure a single additional item could fit in with how much we’ve bought/been gifted that we’re taking home
Old 12 Oct 19, 05:55 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

At Halloween Horror Nights we decided to try the twisted taters that we’d seen last week.

Firstly we opted for them with the garlic parmesan topping.

And then we went back again for the salt and vinegar.

The garlic parmesan version was nice but didn’t blow us away. We decided to go back for the salt and vinegar after smelling someone else’s and were so glad we did! They were amazing - it was only a salt shaker style topping that was put on them, so no actual vinegar, but they were absolutely covered in it so it was a really strong flavour. We could have easily gone back for more.

The cost each time was:

Something different to try and we hope to see them at a HHN in the future as we’ve loved the event and will definitely be back.
Old 12 Oct 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

For our final full day we started off at volcano bay and then headed over to universal studios where we shared a big pink lard lad doughnut from the Simpson’s kwik-e-mart.

This was great as always. The actual doughnut itself is probably not as good as those at voodoo doughnuts, but the icing really makes it. It’s quite a thick layer and tastes so good.

Next up we decided to visit Big Fire, the new restaurant in citywalk. This wasn’t actually in our plans for this trip but we wanted to stay close to the hotel so we could maximise park time before heading off to watch Orlando Magic play Boston Celtics at the Amway Center on the evening.

Our server here was really good and knew the menu very well. There was a drinks list brought to us but we decided just to stick with water as we had to travel to the basketball and find our seats etc. within an hour or two.

I opted to try the Bison Burger which comes with caramelised onions. With the burgers you get a choice of side included in the price, so I went for the pork belly mac n cheese.

The meat on the burger was really nice (albeit not cooked medium as requested - more well done) but it was literally just a burger bun, with the meat, caramelised onions and a piece of lettuce. There was no sauce at all. I asked for some barbecue sauce which they didn’t have (I found that a bit strange) so I ended up using ketchup because it was dry without any sauce. The ketchup completely took away from the taste of the burger and onions though so it was a bit of a lose lose situation! The mac n cheese was nice though but again could probably have done with a bit more cheese sauce.

I ended up swapping with W half way through who had ordered an appetiser of the lamb sliders to come with a side of the crispy smashed potatoes.

The sliders were really good. The lamb was cooked well and they had mint aioli, cheddar and roasted tomatoes on them which came together to create a great flavour. The potatoes were also nice.

The bill was:

Overall it was a good experience but I wish I had ordered something else. I’m sure others would like the bison burger as it came but for me a burger needs something more than what I received. I think W enjoyed the meal more than I did as what he ordered was very good and he preferred my burger more than me too.

We then headed back to Cabana Bay and straight out to the Magic game. This was a really great experience, although Magic lost by quite some way

Whilst in the stadium we got ourselves a Mountain Dew (who sponsor the team/stadium) in a souvenir glass. This was really big and was $10 (would have been $5 just in a normal glass).

We also got a large cookie to share which was $5.

This was really good and reminded us of the cookie num num at Hollywood Studios!

After the basketball we had a wonder around downtown Orlando before getting an Uber back to the hotel and having a dip in the pool. We were going to have a drink at one of the bars we walked past but we weren’t too sure where would be good, so decided to leave it this time and research somewhere for next time we are back as we’d like to go to the basketball again.

We fly home today but not until late tonight, so there should be one more (almost) full day of food to come! Thanks for following along everyone.

Edited at 01:30 PM.
Old 12 Oct 19, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I've been after one of those twisted taters for ever Think they only do them at HHN though we're never there at the right time
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
I've been after one of those twisted taters for ever Think they only do them at HHN though we're never there at the right time
The salt and vinegar one was amazing! I think it calls for a special HHN trip for you
Old 12 Oct 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
The salt and vinegar one was amazing! I think it calls for a special HHN trip for you
If I could get away with it I definitely would. Maybe one day!
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List