Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Oct 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
Just last month there was an American woman jailed for causing a similar accident resulting in deaths in the north of Scotland so I wonder if that could have played a part in the decision to spirit her out of the country.
That’s not strictly true if it’s the same case as in this report. Her sentence was deferred for just over a year pending community/ charity work.
bbc/news/uk-scotla...-fife-49972773
A similar case in Scotland also didn’t result in a jail sentence. pressandjournal/fp...land-accident/
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
That’s not strictly true if it’s the same case as in this report. Her sentence was deferred for just over a year pending community/ charity work.
bbc/news/uk-scotla...-fife-49972773
A similar case in Scotland also didn’t result in a jail sentence. pressandjournal/fp...land-accident/
Looks like I was wrong (again). I thought I’d seen an article re a crash in Aberdeenshire but looks like I was mistaken. However, given both these incidents resulted in no jail time then to me it shows even less of a reason to skip the country and avoid justice.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
Looks like I was wrong (again). I thought I’d seen an article re a crash in Aberdeenshire but looks like I was mistaken. However, given both these incidents resulted in no jail time then to me it shows even less of a reason to skip the country and avoid justice.
I agree - imo, if there are no aggravating circumstances a conviction is unlikely to result in a custodial sentence. Obviously, we don’t know the full circumstances but to me fleeing is the coward’s way out, regardless of the ‘advice’ she was given.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
I suspect it would most definitely be more than a relatively light penalty of points and a large fine. She has accepted that she drove on the wrong side of the road. I would guess that this would attract a charge of death by reckless driving or at least death by careless or inconsiderate driving which thankfully carry serious consequences
I was referencing (very badly!) the comments of the Dunn's lawyer who was on the radio this morning. That's what he outlined as the likely outcome for her should she be charged here.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkstargirl
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Those poor parents, the President tried to ambush them into seeing Mrs Sacoolas when they were at the White House, (they refused) and then he has apparently said she will not be coming back to the UK. WHY?
Because they refused to follow his little plan to get his stupid orange face gurning into more camera lenses. He's an absolute disgrace.
pinkstargirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by RachaelC View Post
I was referencing (very badly!) the comments of the Dunn's lawyer who was on the radio this morning. That's what he outlined as the likely outcome for her should she be charged here.
Oh I see, I’d say he is way off the mark
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Oh I see, I’d say he is way off the mark
That’s good to know, it did seem somewhat lax!

Unfortunately for the Dunn family, I don’t think they will be the closure they probably need through anyone being charged.

It’s such a sad situation, a seemingly momentary lapse in concentration and someone’s life is taken from them. Obviously a different outcome, but DH managed to drive the wrong way down the road in Florida once, but if circumstances had been different it could have been horrific.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by RachaelC View Post
That’s good to know, it did seem somewhat lax!

Unfortunately for the Dunn family, I don’t think they will be the closure they probably need through anyone being charged.

It’s such a sad situation, a seemingly momentary lapse in concentration and someone’s life is taken from them. Obviously a different outcome, but DH managed to drive the wrong way down the road in Florida once, but if circumstances had been different it could have been horrific.
I think we have all done things like this at some point. Crying baby, kids squabbling, distracted by radio, wasp in the car etc etc and most of the time we are lucky not to cause an issue. Sadly, for all involved the consequences this time were disastrous and life changing for many. It’s human nature for the loved ones of a victim to want answers and accountability, we put faith in our judicial system to deliver this and I can see why they feel let down
As you say, I doubt they will ever get closure but feel the handling of this matter has intensified their grief
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
animal lover
New Poster (2)

I live/lived in Australia and my answer is based on what would be done there. Apologies to anyone who may have been confused by my response
animal lover is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

As you say, I doubt they will ever get closure but feel the handling of this matter has intensified their grief
I'm not convinced Radd Seiger, family friend, has been entirely helpful to the Dunn family in the final analysis.
I hope they don't regret not speaking with Mrs Sacoolas when they had their opportunity.
This must all seem like a bad dream.
They've launched a GoFundMe campaign to raise money for their US legal action.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List