Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Apr 18, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Originally Posted by Snowball24 View Post
Gosh 14 is early to say that! I am gutted my 17 yr old may not come next yr assuming 13 yr old has many years left yet but will be weird for her on her own.
I know! I think there's an element of he's embarrassed to be seen with all women no boys/men around. He just doesn't enjoy holidays and I've tried loads of different types. I'm a forever holiday planner but I've wasted a lot of money with him completely miserable, Kevin teen in some beautiful places.
Old 7 Apr 18, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
markamanda
Excited about Disney

My eldest had his last holiday at 16 (he's now 21)and to be honest we saw it coming because he spent most of it in the room and was really bored. My Daughter is 17 and started saying she didn't want to come when she turned 15 so we agreed to compromise and let her take a friend. This year we are going Florida and not only are they both going so are their other halfs so there are 6 of us in total

Could you not have your last family holiday the year after or a couple of weeks either side of his birthday if you only want to go at a certain time?

A

2007 Fairfield Inn Orlando 2008 Private villa in Orlando 2011 OKW and Dismum's villa 2012 Candlewood Suites NYC 2014 Dreamers villa Orlando 2016 Monte Carlo vegas 2017 Caribbean cruise and Orlando stay 2018 Villa Santa Cruz Orlando 2021 Disney Sunset Villa
markamanda is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 18, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
indie2312
Apprentice Imagineer

My parents are stuck with us! Myself 25, sister 21 and youngest sister 18 don't think there's every been a time we wouldn't not wanted to go to Florida all together. Anywhere else it's different but we all love going together.

I understand your son though and my boyfriend wouldn't go with his family after 18/19. They loved short breaks to Europe/Ireland he got bored after a day or two.
whatever you or they decide to do just remember there's FaceTime for contact and it will always be different but enjoy

indie2312 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 18, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by jakesmum View Post
As the title says really, talking to the kids today about our initial plan to go back to Orlando next year. as its my 40th and sons 18th around the half term we were talking about going then, son was majorly unimpressed to have to spend his 18th with his parents and not in the pub with his mates

Part of me understands his thinking, the whole right of passage and the legal limit being 21 in US but im a little sad that our photos won’t have all of us in them. I’d prepared myself that this would be our last complete family holiday but am now trying to not be upset that our last family holiday has now been and gone

We can’t even move the holiday as son works in a company that refuse holidays at easter and christmas and husband got so panicky over the tornados last year he swore blind he would never go to the US in the 6 weeks holidays again.

Am i just a sad old mum trying to keep her baby a baby or would / did other parents get that lump in their throat when their first born became too old to want to be with mum and dad?

From experience don't force him. Our last family trip to Florida was summer 2015, middle child (DS) was 19. He wanted to come, or didn't tell me otherwise but was a right grump. Didn't communicate much. Luckily my other 2 enjoyed it and they had their cousins too, however he did spoil it for me, and I told him so.

When we went to book for this summer he asked if he could come along with his GF! Short answer was no! Didn't feel guilty about it either. We've said we can all go again in a couple of years, kids with their partners etc and whoever else can come but it's just DH and myself this year and I can't wait No grumpy teenagers to contend with
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 18, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

I’d feel sad about it but also understand why he wouldn’t want to be there on his 18th. I’d be convincing hubby to go back in summer so you can have one last holiday together. We always go in summer holidays and had a tornado warning once.

If you still go without him would that mean you wouldn’t be home for his 18th? If that was the case I’d have to change the dates anyway.

Edited at 12:30 PM.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 18, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
jakesmum
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by macadoo View Post
I’d feel sad about it but also understand why he wouldn’t want to be there on his 18th. I’d be convincing hubby to go back in summer so you can have one last holiday together. We always go in summer holidays and had a tornado warning once.

If you still go without him would that mean you wouldn’t be home for his 18th? If that was the case I’d have to change the dates anyway.
Yep, we would not land till the day after his birthday (another reason i’m a bit sad) i have never been away from my kids on their birthdays, we have been abroad on his birthday before though as its slap bang in the middle of the half term, this is the first year he’s ever been bothered, before he loved it

I would like to do the big summer holidays but last year really terrified DH, he was glued to the weather channel and we literally left the day before it hit. I wasn’t that worried as i knew that we would leave before hand but DH doesn’t process like me (he also will never visit another greek island as he once went to Corfu on a rubbish tavel agent booked holiday and hated it! And no amount of explaining corfu is not real greece has convinced him otherwise )

Someone above suggested moving the dates a few weeks but our youngest is still in school and i dont want to pull her out of school for any longer than i have too, im pushing my luck with a week i think, plus its her SAT year so,trying to work round those as well ! DS is also in college so we have to consider the disruption to his course as well. I would actually LoVE to do a term time holiday, the money i would save, we could do 3 weeks
Old 7 Apr 18, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Don’t be sad because it’s over, smile because it happened! That’s what I always say to myself. I have never been on a “family” holiday as my parents split up when I was tiny, I did go on lots of caravan holidays with my nan and grandad though until I was around 12 (when grandad gave up his driving licence) and I have some lovely memories. I think I would have stopped around 17/18 though if they hadn’t stopped earlier as I wanted to go on holiday with my boyfriend at that age, just us two. My other half stopped at 21 when he got in a relationship with me and his sister only stopped at 26 when she got a few friends to go with instead. Other half’s mum keeps wanting us all to go on holiday together, but we are happy with just the two of us at the moment. Everyone is different I guess, but I’m sure in time you’ll enjoy having a holiday to yourself!

Edited at 01:56 PM.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 18, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
We have two teenagers but now they are older now... we use go on travelling to Florida, Disney Cruise, Cyprus, Tenerife etc.

Last year We booked Crete and two of them don't want come with us and i was disappointed and first time just two of us but it was lovely holiday.

However, my son 21st and my husband 50th within 4 days between... We went to Berlin for Easter Weekend as same times birthday too... It was lovely but i don't think they will come with us next times as they like to do own ways. We cannot stop them... oh well.

We are off to Jamaica without them too.

Just wish turn clock back again
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 18, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

Mobile

My DS aged 22 thinks you need new children and DS aged 18 had a thought and said he could see it might be a problem if he was married but he would just invite them to come to.
WDW All Stars Movies 2001- 10th Anniversary
WDW Carribean Beach Resort 2006
WDW All Stars Music 2008
WDW Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa 2018 - 50th Birthday Celebration with Mum.
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 18, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

Personally i wouldn't want to be away for my sons 18th! Id go different dates, weve been April and August both great x