Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Sep 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
MillieMoo23
Getting Excited

Mobile Phone hacked - what to do

I recall someone had the same issue recently but can’t find it and asking if anyone knows what to do.

So I have an EE phone contract, yesterday I received a phone call from EE saying they understand I want to leave, I told them I didn’t. They said a pac code has been requested, so I told them to cancel that immediately and I do not want to leave
Long story short, EE never cancelled the request and my number has now been transferred to Vodafone fraudulently. EE told me I need to speak to Vodafone. I asked to speak to the fraudulent team and they are now closed until 9am tomorrow
Any idea what I need to do to resolve this?
MillieMoo23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsEgg
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

This happened to my FIL last summer, he was with Vodaphone though and they sorted it for him.

The worst thing was they were able to reset his Internet banking as they had his phone number and emptied his account. If you have anything which can be reset via your number make sure you change it ASAP.
MrsEgg is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
MillieMoo23
Getting Excited

Mobile

How awful. Will do that now. Thank you
Was your FIL able to keep his number or did he have to change it?
MillieMoo23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsEgg
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

He has kept it, they were quick with sorting it out but I'm not sure if it was a Vodaphone/Vodaphone switch or if they switched to another network though. Hopefully you will be able to get it sorted out quickly tomorrow.
MrsEgg is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

My MIL had an issue like this, once they managed to change her number they got access to her bank account. She got lucky and just happened to catch her bank as they were about to transfer money out. Might be worth contacting your bank as well and asking them to keep an eye out for any unusual transactions.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

More & more reasons to have nothing go do with banking on your mobile, these hackings are getting more & more prevalent its only a matter of time before either banks stop banking apps or start refusing to reimburse people who are hacked (they will find a way around not doing so somehow).
Hope you get it sorted quickly.
Old 13 Sep 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
More & more reasons to have nothing go do with banking on your mobile, these hackings are getting more & more prevalent its only a matter of time before either banks stop banking apps or start refusing to reimburse people who are hacked (they will find a way around not doing so somehow).
Hope you get it sorted quickly.
Are they becoming more prevalent or is it just that proportionately the number of banking transactions are greater on mobiles / internet banking thus saving banks lots of staff costs? (Ie the cost of any extra fraud - if any - is not outweighed by staff saving cost).
Old 13 Sep 19, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Are they becoming more prevalent or is it just that proportionately the number of banking transactions are greater on mobiles / internet banking thus saving banks lots of staff costs? (Ie the cost of any extra fraud - if any - is not outweighed by staff saving cost).
Think it is both, and at the end of the day it is the customer who is more at risk than the bank.

Hate using my phone for any banking but know it is something we are all being pushed towards. Resist.

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

It's not about banking on the mobile, it's about the second factor authentication going to the phone.

Logging in to mobile banking is still password protected, same as a desktop. So are email logins.

However, more often now text messages with codes are sent to mobiles to authenticate transactions. This is where being in control of the mobile number is useful to them.

Changing the mobile number with any banking or other service which uses SMS code authentication will stop them.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
It's not about banking on the mobile, it's about the second factor authentication going to the phone.

Logging in to mobile banking is still password protected, same as a desktop. So are email logins.

However, more often now text messages with codes are sent to mobiles to authenticate transactions. This is where being in control of the mobile number is useful to them.

Changing the mobile number with any banking or other service which uses SMS code authentication will stop them.
Or, alternatively if the option is given, use an 2FP Authenticator App instead of receiving via text.