Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Oct 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

I would go with the council job until the checks come through, it may be enough time for you to decide that the council job isn't what you imagined. Then you can take up you're new post in the prison.
Good luck with whatever you decide. 😊
Old 1 Oct 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
saffy202
Apprentice Imagineer

I used to work in admin for social care. I only left as the contact side with patients, professionals was taken away and diverted through a contract (call) centre. Therefore it was just typing and care plan budgets, I then moved to A&E as the job was more varied and interesting. I think its a good idea to take the council one and see what it is like whilst waiting to see what happens with the prison. I did have to have vetting checks for working in social care as well. xx
Old 1 Oct 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Pink_Fairy_Dust
Very Serious Dibber

So you do progress through pay points within your grade at the Civil Service? So if the job was 18500-20500 (an example) you would go up in however many increments there are each year until you reach the top?

Thanks everyone for making me feel better on having accepted two hobs, I felt like the worst human being ever when panicked and accepted the second job with Council today and there were loads of job sites saying accepting two job offers was practically as bad as murder (I exaggerate but you get the idea)... I get the points about going with the Council for now but can't help leaning towards the Prison job since its such a unique environment, so annoying as without this job offer too I would have been thrilled to finally get in at the Council - had a few interviews already with Council this year where I was told I was just pipped to post as another candidate had some experience of local gov already...
Pink_Fairy_Dust is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Pink_Fairy_Dust
Very Serious Dibber

I had such weird dreams last night with some kind of hybrid between these two job, and where I got to ride a motorcycle which will not be a feature of either (bizarre I have never ridden a motorcycle)

Still so torn, the woman from the Council has been on the phone this morn to clarify something on my job history and she congratulated me again and said how excited they all are to see me soon (I have no start date yet) and I felt so so guilty saying you too and sounding upbeat when I'm so torn... argh I would really like to work there as they sound nice but the more I think about it the more I am drawn to the prison because I think it would be a fascinating place to work, I mean probs similar types of admin to be fair really but its always more interesting even inputting data when the environment and stuff you are working on is of more interest which is why I would have probs never left the University if I hadn't been made redundant...
Pink_Fairy_Dust is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
jpy10
Excited about Disney

I had to do security clearance to work in the nuclear sector and it took around 9 months and was very intrusive.

Congrats on having two job offers, must have impressed.
Old 2 Oct 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pink_Fairy_Dust View Post
I would have probs never left the University if I hadn't been made redundant...
Might be worth checking if the prison is private or public sector and will they expect you to travel to other prisons ?

If so maybe try to get back into a uni even if it's a longer commute ?
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Pink_Fairy_Dust
Very Serious Dibber

The prison is public sector I think if its part of Civil Service? They said at the interview ages ago the role you are allocated will be at one particular prison its just the two prisons aren't all that far apart really same county and I think do work quite closely together as they are both very different categories...

There is another Uni I could commute to but is further away than all of these jobs and would encounter more busy traffic to get and to be honest the pay is similarish to the pay at these two employers, the other Uni I worked at was literally 10mins away and was ideal, plus I don't really want to put any more jobs in the mix right now... I have an application in at a local college I'm likely to get an interview for but I plan to turn it down if I do, my brain would explode with the decision lokl
Old 2 Oct 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

The prison is public sector I think if its part of Civil Service?

I have an application in at a local college I'm likely to get an interview for but I plan to turn it down if I do, my brain would explode with the decision lokl

Best to check.
It could be a civil service contract in a private prison.
Prisons are under review constantly, as we saw with HMP Birmingham and G4S. Many changes in the pipeline.
That apart, working with that section of society is not for everyone. Even though actual contact with 'guests' is zero.
Neither is working in social care provision at a council, particularly managing budget cuts despite increased demand.
Both roles could be quite depressing depending on your outlook.
By comparison, working at a uni or college, can be generally more positive and uplifting.

That's possibly worth considering, given you may have an opportunity at a college doing something you know you enjoy.

civilserviceworld/ar...s-confirms-moj
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Pink_Fairy_Dust
Very Serious Dibber

I get what you are saying but think I will stick with picking between the two for now :-) Not sure if a prison will be for me it just sounds interesting... still can't pick between the two today though haha
Old 2 Oct 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Munchkinmouse
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

So you do progress through pay points within your grade at the Civil Service? So if the job was 18500-20500 (an example) you would go up in however many increments there are each year until you reach the top?
It depends on the department. I've worked for a few but not prison & probation service so not sure on them, you would need to ask. On the whole I think pay points which you progress through each year are something the whole civil service appear to be moving away from, I know my department is reducing the pay range for each grade every year until it becomes one rate for the job. There's been a lot of muttering about false advertising due to job adverts still showing a pay range when new recruits will never get off the minimum. You will still get a rise each year (hopefully!) but it will just be to whatever the new minimum is.

However, I would say don't be shy of asking whether you can negotiate on pay. Until recently I thought it was fixed in cs that you would start at the bottom of the scale and never questioned that. However, one of my staff turned down a job a couple of months ago as he received another offer which had better pay. When he told them why he was turning it down they came back with a better offer mid way through the range. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Munchkinmouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List