Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Oct 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
NO? When is a valid passport not valid please?
If we leave the EU with a no deal Brexit, it is possible that you will need a passport six months beyond your return date (assuming a UK passport) to travel to EU countries. This is well documented and I believe the reason you no longer get the added up to 9 months added when renewing.
There are other countries where travelling required this six months.
There are agreements where this isn't the case (e.g. currently within the EU and travelling on a UK or Irish passport to the US).
The entry conditions vary from country to country.

However in this example travelling to Paris with an Irish passport, I think it is fine. The school may be assuming a UK passport and in this case we don't know the answer and they are assuming the same might apply to those travelling on an Irish passport.

Maybe check out the following links before jumping down my throat?

postoffice/identit...xpire-passport

gov.uk/guidance/passport...e-after-brexit

Edited at 03:24 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
It makes completely no sense at all. If your passport is valid then it's valid. If it isn't, then it isn't. It becomes invalid on the date it says on it. This is mindless bureaucracy for the sake of it
You're correct that your passport remains valid until it becomes invalid on the date it says on it. But that's not what's being talked about here. There are several countries that require a UK passport to have a validity up to 6 months longer than the intended stay. The passport is still valid, but it doesn't meet the requirements for entry into that country. This is not something new.

What is new is what happens with regards to trips to Europe with a UK passport *if* we leave the EU without a deal.

From the Government's website:

"New rules will apply for travel to Europe if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.
You should have at least 6 months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland).
"

gov.uk/guidance/passport...e-after-brexit

Because no one knows at the moment whether we will leave with a deal or not, nor when it will happen, then the authorities are assuming a worst-case scenario. Thus they are advising people to ensure they have 6 months remaining validity on their passport for any trips after 31st October - see the above website.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by LOU LOU DISNEY View Post
Just a wee bit of a rant really.
My son his going on a trip to Paris in 5 weeks with his school music department. I’ve just been told today that he needs a new passport as there’s only 3 months left on his. I sent the Irish Government passport link to his teacher as it clearly states passport needs to be valid for length of stay, & she was happy enough with that but is now saying the travel company who they’ve booked with can’t accept it & needs a new one. It gets better! There’s 2 other kids in the same boat & they’ve got just under the 6 month mark on theirs & they’ve been told they’ll need to get new ones! I just don’t understand it when it’s clearly on the Government website unless it’s the travel companies policy to have 6 months on the passport before they can book? So off now to get it sorted online, fingers crossed it’ll be here on time!
As long as it's legal, a travel company can apply whatever terms and conditions it wants in regards to the service it's providing. These may not make sense, can be stupid, and may not be the same as the government's passport rules. However, it is up to the travel company who they decide to provide their service to.

If they have a policy that they only serve travellers with 6 months remaining on their passport then you either have to comply with those terms and conditions or else take your custom elsewhere. It's silly but that's their policy.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
This is not always the case though.
Absolutely true, I need 6m validity on my passport when I travel to India or ≈≈≈≈stan on business.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
As long as it's legal, a travel company can apply whatever terms and conditions it wants in regards to the service it's providing. These may not make sense, can be stupid, and may not be the same as the government's passport rules. However, it is up to the travel company who they decide to provide their service to.

If they have a policy that they only serve travellers with 6 months remaining on their passport then you either have to comply with those terms and conditions or else take your custom elsewhere. It's silly but that's their policy.
We had this with Royal Caribbean a few years back. Sailing from Southampton shopping in Spain and Portugal they insisted on 6 months on passport even though it wasn’t needed for any of the ports. They said it was their policy and they could refuse boarding.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

The UK gov. also have a video on this

facebook/UKgovernmen...62833010/?t=12
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

DH has just travelled on his with 2 months left. However, when we were shopping around, one travel agent refused to give us a quote because he didn’t have 6 months on his passport!
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post

I’d take my custom elsewhere as they are clearly incompetent and wouldn’t trust them to arrange my travel.

Old 15 Oct 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hideinpockets View Post
To be fair, I think with Brexit very close on the horizon, I think the government is recommending any passports with less than 6 months should be renewed before brexit? So I guess that’s why it’s being mentioned?
Not sure that makes a difference, if we cant travel to the EU after 31 October it doesn't matter how long is on the passport.
Old 15 Oct 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Does anybody know if the carried forward months will still apply to kids passports? I thought the issue was that no passport should be over 10 years old but as kids get 5 years that wouldn’t be an issue.

Carried forward months will presumably still be valid for travel to the US?!?
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List