Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Oct 19, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
I was chatting to someone in work about my holiday. She said she would love to take her family but TUI quoted her nearly £12,000. So I did a bit of searching and came up with the same holiday booked direct with Disney and indirect flights for just over £8,000
So why are TUI charging almost £4K for doing the booking?
Add £2k for direct flights will reduce the difference based on 4 people in summer holidays
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
I was chatting to someone in work about my holiday. She said she would love to take her family but TUI quoted her nearly £12,000. So I did a bit of searching and came up with the same holiday booked direct with Disney and indirect flights for just over £8,000
So why are TUI charging almost £4K for doing the booking?
probably the direct flights

during school holidays from newcastle north of 1k each for direct flights

EDIT or what moorlandman man said
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
When I was checking prices TUI consistently came up higher than Virgin. By up to £200pp more in some cases, a not inconsiderable amount.

I have no idea why they think they can charge what they do, their service is no better than any other operator. After Malta in 2015 I think my mother has a vendetta against them now, they choose Jet2holidays for European packages now, and there was no way I was paying £400-600 more to go to florida for the same dates/flights as Virgin or Thomas Cook. (RIP)
You see exactly what happens when companies such as the departed TC quote prices as a lot cheaper. They are no longer here to explain why they sold them TOO cheap.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

I was looking at flights for next year with TUI and they were more expensive than Virgin both in Econ and PE
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
You see exactly what happens when companies such as the departed TC quote prices as a lot cheaper. They are no longer here to explain why they sold them TOO cheap.
PPM

Do you mean all those occasions over the past 4 years where I've said TC PE was great because it was only a 9 hour bus ride and they were up to £1,000 cheaper than VS. Serves me right I suppose.

Seriously though we lost our TC PE flights next spring and both VS and BA were around £300 dearer than TC. On the face of it BA were cheaper than VS but when we added seat reservations to BA they were only £50 cheaper than VS. We took the £50 hit just to get DS check-in.

However we did check Tui on the same day and they were £300 dearer than VS for PE.

Mick
Old 16 Oct 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

I don't understand TUI's prices either, they are really high. I was looking for my dates in sept and they were around £1100 for premium which is way too high imo.

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
True perhaps they were too cheap - but both before and after their collapse Virgin Holidays were consistently cheaper than TUI by several hundred pounds. In fact the difference between VH and TUI was bigger than that between TC and VA.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
True perhaps they were too cheap - but both before and after their collapse Virgin Holidays were consistently cheaper than TUI by several hundred pounds. In fact the difference between VH and TUI was bigger than that between TC and VA.
I've always found Virgin Holidays to be significantly more expensive than TUI (and TC before they went). That's the reason why I've never been with VH but have been with the other two in the past.

Currently VA flight prices are more expensive than TUI's prices for dates near to when I'm looking at (end of Aug / start of Sept 2020).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I know someone who has saved £3,000 by rebooking with BA for exact same holiday that she paid £9,000 for with Thomas Cook, however she is still waiting on her first two direct debits back.

Shame on the high street travel agent who sold her the TC holiday in the first place if there were cheaper alternatives available. OK, they now have to change planes at Gatwick, instead of direct from Glasgow, but they will also get free drinks on the flight and other benefits of a scheduled flight.
Old 16 Oct 19, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
I know someone who has saved £3,000 by rebooking with BA for exact same holiday that she paid £9,000 for with Thomas Cook, however she is still waiting on her first two direct debits back.

Shame on the high street travel agent who sold her the TC holiday in the first place if there were cheaper alternatives available. OK, they now have to change planes at Gatwick, instead of direct from Glasgow, but they will also get free drinks on the flight and other benefits of a scheduled flight.
It's not actually the exact same holiday then. Her flights have changed and now she's flying indirect.

Perhaps this person had originally said to the travel agent that they wanted to fly direct from Glasgow?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List