Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Oct 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
I've just read this thread for the first time. It looks like your patio is about 25sq.m. So your £3000 quote is £120 a sq.m.

Seems awfully high to me unless your slabs are at least £55 per sq.m. For a low traffic area like yours I would look for slabs no more than £25 sq m.
I have just googled how to convert feet and inches to square metres and you are spookily close as we are now taking the patio to the fence making it 26.5 sq m!

My contractor is now working on a quote for composite decking instead and it would be great to get advice on this quote when it comes through!

Thank you for your input - It’s much appreciated.
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
I have just googled how to convert feet and inches to square metres and you are spookily close as we are now taking the patio to the fence making it 26.5 sq m!

My contractor is now working on a quote for composite decking instead and it would be great to get advice on this quote when it comes through!

I could have helped with that.

Retired nearly 4 years ago after 50+ years as a Quantity Surveyor and back in the early 60s everything was Imperial. Of all the sad things I remember that 10' 7" for example was 10.583 ft and 14'2" was 14.167'. So that area would be 149.929 SF. 10.764 SF in a square metre so that converts to 13.929 m2

Any other sad calculations that I can help with

Mick
Old 13 Oct 19, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I could have helped with that.

Retired nearly 4 years ago after 50+ years as a Quantity Surveyor and back in the early 60s everything was Imperial. Of all the sad things I remember that 10' 7" for example was 10.583 ft and 14'2" was 14.167'. So that area would be 149.929 SF. 10.764 SF in a square metre so that converts to 13.929 m2

Any other sad calculations that I can help with

Mick
Haha that’s fab Mick!
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Haha that’s fab Mick!
I could bore you even more with duodecimals if you like - but I think not.

Mick
Old 13 Oct 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I could bore you even more with duodecimals if you like - but I think not.

Mick
My son gets annoyed with me when I quote things like the speed of light being 186,000 miles a second, because he was taught it as 299 792 458 m / s.

I think most people (well us older ones) would understand 186,000 miles a second more than the more modern method.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
My son gets annoyed with me when I quote things like the speed of light being 186,000 miles a second, because he was taught it as 299 792 458 m / s.

I think most people (well us older ones) would understand 186,000 miles a second more than the more modern method.
Mickey

Last time I looked I believe that the UK still uses Imperial units for those sort of distances.

Today's quiz. Why do I still know my 27 times table?

Mick
Old 13 Oct 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Mickey

Last time I looked I believe that the UK still uses Imperial units for those sort of distances.

Today's quiz. Why do I still know my 27 times table?

Mick
I tried cheating and googling it to no avail, so why is it relevant.

As a guess is it because for instance how many 3" or 3' tiles/slabs would make a perfect square?

Just realised the above is probably irrelevant.

Edited at 12:46 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I tried cheating and googling it to no avail, so why is it relevant.

As a guess it because for instance how many 3" or 3' tiles/slabs would make a perfect square?
No - but I'll leave you on tenterhooks for a couple of hours just in case there are more 73 year old ex-QSs out there who may be excited to answer.

It does relate in some way to the Imperial days.

Mick
Old 13 Oct 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
No - but I'll leave you on tenterhooks for a couple of hours just in case there are more 73 year old ex-QSs out there who may be excited to answer.

It does relate in some way to the Imperial days.

Mick
Mickey

The short only partially boring answer. I'll spare you the long boring version.

Back in the 60's quantities of bulk excavation for instance were expressed in cubic yards. They were measured in cubic feet but "reduced" to cubic yards by dividing by 27 (CF in a CY). So a hole in the ground that was 135 CF for instance would be 5 CY.

Aren't you glad I asked.

Mick
Old 14 Oct 19, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
I've just read this thread for the first time. It looks like your patio is about 25sq.m. So your £3000 quote is £120 a sq.m.

Seems awfully high to me unless your slabs are at least £55 per sq.m. For a low traffic area like yours I would look for slabs no more than £25 sq m.

Well the quote for composite was too high for my budget so I’m back to choosing patio slabs with the aim of getting them at c. £25 per sq m as above!

Ideally I’m looking for a buff slab, possibly Indian Stone -
Any further opinions or advice?