Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 7 Oct 19, 03:53 AM  
Link to this Post
miikeyblue
Earning More Ears

Must do's for first timers?

We're a way off going yet, but looking at the maps, the rides, the restaurants etc is all hugely overwhelming at the moment, having never been before and not really knowing what we're doing.

4 of us in total - including 2 teenage lads.

All the star wars stuff is a must for us, as is Harry Potter... but what else should we really not miss? Rides, restaurants, other attractions...?

We're there for 14 days, though day 1 I guess we'll be too tired to do much - this will be my son's birthday, and he loves Bubba Gump's in London so we'll probably head down to the Orlando branch for some dinner before chilling out later.

Staying at Animal Kingdom, with dining included. Will be booking universal tickets, and also Discovery Cove. Would also quite like to squeeze in Kennedy Space Centre and possibly a baseball game if at all feasible - but that bit we'll worry about nearer the time.

Not after an itinerary - just a few pointers for stuff that as first timers we really should make sure we get to!

Edited at 04:38 AM.
miikeyblue is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Laner
slightly serious Dibber

Laner's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
You will get a huge range of answers to this question. For my family and I, it is all about getting to each park early, leaving late and doing as much as you can in the day. You are only there for two weeks and personally, I would utilise every day to its max.
Disneyland Paris 2000, 2002, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2014
Florida 1993, 1997, 2008, 2013
Laner is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Personally, I think you either need to extend your stay or cut out some the extra bits you would like to do. If you spend 2 x days at Universal (you could spend 3 if you want to do VB too), one day Kennedy, DC, shopping, rest day, basketball, then suddenly you've only got a week left to do Disney. Which really isn't enough, especially for the first time.

You'll also end up paying a fortune in tickets for all the other bits when you already have a 14 day pass for Disney.

I would personally concentrate on Disney this trip especially as you are staying onsite, then save the rest for future, offsite trips (no matter what you think now, you will be back )

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 19, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Gav
slightly serious Dibber

I agree. Also, you have dining included. If you are going to do a lot offsite i don't think you'll get value from the dining plan.

Do Disney and 2/3 days at Universal.
Gav is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
AhoyShipmates
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Build in a chill out day three or four days in, have pool time and enjoy the amazing hotel you’re staying in. If you want time away from Disney I recommend Kennedy Space Centre as it’s fascinating but also it feels good to get away from theme parks and see some of Florida. I also recommend a visit to a state park or maybe an airboat ride (we did Spirit of the Swamp, highly recommended) to see some of the wildlife. As this is your first time I’d save Universal for your next trip as there’s so much to do in the Disney parks and resorts alone - 14 days won’t feel like enough!
AhoyShipmates is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by miikeyblue View Post
We're a way off going yet, but looking at the maps, the rides, the restaurants etc is all hugely overwhelming at the moment, having never been before and not really knowing what we're doing.

All the star wars stuff is a must for us, as is Harry Potter... but what else should we really not miss? Rides, restaurants, other attractions...?

We're there for 14 days, though day 1 I guess we'll be too tired to do much - this will be my son's birthday, and he loves Bubba Gump's in London so we'll probably head down to the Orlando branch for some dinner before chilling out later.

Staying at Animal Kingdom, with dining included. Will be booking universal tickets, and also Discovery Cove. Would also quite like to squeeze in Kennedy Space Centre and possibly a baseball game if at all feasible - but that bit we'll worry about nearer the time.

Not after an itinerary - just a few pointers for stuff that as first timers we really should make sure we get to!
I suppose it will all depend on if this is your one and only trip or if you will be repeating in a few years.

There is a lot of things so do in each park. You have 4 main Disney. Then 2 Disney water parks. Also 2 main universal. 1 water park. Discovery cove and Kennedy space. That’s at least 8 full days and 3 half days for the water parks which you could possibly do the basketball on one of those days.

If your not returning then you’ll probably have to go flat all out full and I mean full days to get majority done.
If you are returning then I agree with others. If you have Disney dining too then stick with that and maybe add discovery cove on. Then next time universal and Kennedy space.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

I like to make a list of the top rides/shows/characters that my kids want to do. They pick a few different ones each and then we make sure these are the ones we definitely get done
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 03:47 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Even though it's your sons birthday you may be too tired to do a special dinner especially if your first time. Especially if it is the one at city walk as it is a distance from AK.

Are you on the free dining plan? Which one as this can make a difference to plans as you wont get value if you eat offsite alot.

If star wars and HP are a must I would just stick to Disney and universal and not try to do Kennedy space centre or much else. Discovery cove may be a push too and an extra expense that doesn't work out as good value unless you only do each park once and miss lots of things. Dawn to dusk every day is tiring and leads to disagreement.

Depending on when you are going universal could be busy and challenging.

Sorry probably made it sound awful but once you have found the Dibb there are so many things to do you will feel you have missed out.
My first time was before I knew about the Dibb so didn't know I was missing out on things and did far too much but did love it.
Old 9 Oct 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
KevinCosmos
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by miikeyblue View Post

Congrats on your first (hopefully of many) magical trip!

As others have said, it seems that you have a lot of plans but it doesn't seem like you are getting value for your money and aren't giving yourself any time for rest/shopping.

If you are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge with the included dining plan, you should try to eat on-site as much as possible to get the best value out of it.

Looking at what you're wanting to do, it's a lot to pack into one holiday:
- first day of rest
- 8 days Disney minimum (2 per park) + time for water parks if doing any
- 2 days Universal
- 1 day Kennedy Space Centre
- 1 evening basketball

It already looks like 14 days are pretty full, and this includes no rest/shopping days. I imagine you'll want to visit Outlet malls, maybe go around Disney Springs and International Drive.

Ultimately your holiday will be what you choose to make it, so if you're determined to do everything on your list I'm certain you'll find a way to make it happen You may want to look at night time hard-ticketed events if there are any when you visit, as this will give you more hours in the parks.

If you think you'll be able to return to Orlando, I would put any non-essential things to the backburner and focus on making the most out of the money you've already spent on AKL and the dining plan. Choose what is most important to you (as many rides as possible, trying loads of food, slower-paced park days to feel immersed) and try plan around that.

I'm going for 14 nights and doing Disney with 2 days Universal and Kennedy Space Centre. You can check my schedule on my profile to see roughly what my plan looks like. I'm forfeiting water parks on my plan and have bought MVMCP tickets to boost park time which will give me more time during the days to spend elsewhere.

Maybe look at making your own itinerary for the trip to see how you plan to schedule in everything you want to do.

Edited at 11:32 AM.
KevinCosmos is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Park tickets are outrageous. If you have 14 day Disney tickets, I would plan on 14 days in the Disney parks to get the most value for your money. save the money you would spend on other tickets and do a second trip down the road.

DDP is a lot of food-use it. Don't waste meals and pay elsewhere/ Save that money too for another trip.

I cannot count the number of times I've been to Orlando (I am American so it can be a cheap flight down). I have never been to Discovery Cove or a water park. I do not feel I am missing anything.

Be frugal this trip and save for another.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List